Thirsty, called into hotel for directions but refused water.

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    How does Laterooms enforce the "must have stayed there" rule"?

I believe they send you a polite email asking you to review your experience after you have stayed at Hotel. These are only sent out once you have paid and your reservation date is over, and are only for people that booked through the site.

Obviously, this is only for hotels.

There are lots of perfectly valid reviews on Tripadvisor,most of them are, but iv'e seen reviews refused to be taken down by them even though we have had solid proof that they are either lying or have never stayed at one of our hotels.Most, as you've mentioned can see through the obvious whingers and over-exaggerations, but it can hurt small B&B's and hotels that have very few reviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I think people have missed the part of this post where the guy says he offered to buy some water at the bar but was still refused. Unless he was being an utter pain in the arse then this does seem unreasonable.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people have missed the part of this post where the guy says he offered to buy some water at the bar but was still refused. Unless he was being an utter pain in the arse then this does seem unreasonable.

At many hotels the bar isn't 'open', it's for customers only and they have no facility for charging individual drinks to non-customers (ie. it all just goes on a tab which is paid by credit card at the end anyway).

Again, the bar may have easily been actually closed at that particular time.

I just don't think people are understanding in a business sense the amount of hassle it can be (relatively) and it's far easier just to say 'no'.

It may seem picky but if you were interrupted in your working day with a request from a random person who isn't anything to do with your job then how would you react?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or.... just 14% are "poor/terrible" and 86% are "satisfied" or more.

I'm simply saying it would make me read the "terrible" and "poor" adverse reviews and dependent on what they said, I might well be put off. As, I'm sure, might many others.

Not sure why you're arguing with such vehemence to be honest. Do you have interests in the hotel or something ?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you ever make even the one exception the whole time you worked there?

Once when a pregnant woman came in asking to use the toilet. For anyone else I just apologised and said it was hotel policy and pointed them in the direction of the town.

If anyone pressed I just explained to them that I was the only member of staff on duty and not suppose to leave the desk in-case any paid guests arrive or required anything. Most people seemed to understand and didn't argue or phone back at 1:15am to complain ;-)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    I believe they send you a polite email asking you to review your experience after you have stayed at Hotel. These are only sent out once you have paid and your reservation date is over, and are only for people that booked through the site.

Obviously, this is only for hotels.

There are lots of perfectly valid reviews on Tripadvisor,most of them are, but iv'e seen reviews refused to be taken down by them even though we have had solid proof that they are either lying or have never stayed at one of our hotels.Most, as you've mentioned can see through the obvious whingers and over-exaggerations, but it can hurt small B&B's and hotels that have very few reviews.

Thanks.
    Totally agree on your last point. I'm experienced enough to detect the agenda of some reviewers. I stayed in a beautiful B&B that the previous reviewer slated for trivia. You also get managers/owners responding rudely to the slightest criticism no matter how constructive. I take a balanced view and I've managed to select hotels/B&B's that have been great value.
    One review I read made me smile. The reviewer, a clear whinger, opened with "the first thing you notice in reception is a nasty smell".
    The owner responded with "Yes, we noticed it as you came through the door" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'm simply saying it would make me read the "terrible" and "poor" adverse reviews and dependent on what they said, I might well be put off. As, I'm sure, might many others.

Not sure why you're arguing with such vehemence to be honest. Do you have interests in the hotel or something ?
    I read the facts.
    Excellent 89
    Very Good 41
    Average 27
    Poor 15
    Terrible 9

I take a different view to you so I'm "arguing vehemently"
    Other opinions are allowed you know.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I agree that the OP had no automatic right to get a glass of water, but if I'd been the hotel manager, I would have got one for him, as a simple act of person to person kindness and consideration .

Whilst the hotel manager was technically in the right, I think he was mean and petty to refuse water to a passing stranger.........

........similarly, if I'd been a paying guest at the hotel and witnessed such an unpleasant response to a stranger, it would have put me off the place forever......Indeed, I'd have gone to the bar and bought him a drink myself. Even if the bellend behind the bar had charged me £5 for a glass of water and ordered us outside for the guy to drink it.

My sentiments too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is still going?

DS, I utterly love you :D:D
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Still annoyed about it, I just rang them tonight at 1.15am demanding an explanation."

Are you for real?
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    This is still going?

DS, I utterly love you :D:D

To me, this thread is more and more beginning to seem like a wind-up/joke thread....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, this thread is more and more beginning to seem like a wind-up/joke thread....
    It is now.
    Someone has posted a spoof review based on the OP's :D
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the OP got lost, asked for directions in a hotel he was not going to patronise and expected a free glass of water. Well if he was in the desert fair enough but not in North Wales. Incidentally if he was eating in the restaurant there he is I believe legally entitled to be served free tap water.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    So the OP got lost, asked for directions in a hotel he was not going to patronise and expected a free glass of water. Well if he was in the desert fair enough but not in North Wales. Incidentally if he was eating in the restaurant there he is I believe legally entitled to be served free tap water.

You missed the part were he then decided to phone them at 1.15am for an argument. :p
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

You'd think he was in the desert the way he describes in his Tripadvisor review having travelled for 40 miles with a raging thirst. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is now.

Oh dear!
    “Great service and great tasting water”
    5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I had been driving for a while and was suddenly in need of a drink of water. As all the nearby shops were closed I stopped at this beautiful hotel. I explained the situation, calmly and politely to the person person at the desk. They were happy to let me have a drink of water, free of charge. They could not be more accommodating. I recommend this hotel, even if it's just for a quick drink of water.
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All he asked for was a glass of tap water not a G&T.
    Why on earth he wasn't given it is unbelievable, I wonder if the person he asked thought it was beneath him to help.
    Honestly I give up.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is now.

Can you post a link to that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luba wrote: »
    Why on earth he wasn't given it is unbelievable, I wonder if the person he asked thought it was beneath him to help.
    Honestly I give up.

Yes but most people wouldn't dream of walking into a hotel asking for a drink of water
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly I give up.

It does seem mean of them on the face of it . But then we only have the OP's account and this ringing them in the middle of the night to argue about it makes me wonder about how the OP behaved at the time. He has left them a bad review now so he has his revenge!
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly I give up.

Have you read the thread? There are a number of reasons why the hotel may not have been able to fulfil his request. Plus we only have the OP's version of events. The staff may have been unkind or they may have just been wary depending on how the OP asked.

I am still stunned that he said-

'but having been very thirsty for the past 40 miles of my journey'

Most people would not drive for 40 miles past shops, garages, supermarkets etc., without stopping if they had been very thirsty for the last 40 miles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read the thread? There are a number of reasons why the hotel may not have been able to fulfil his request. Plus we only have the OP's version of events. The staff may have been unkind or they may have just been wary depending on how the OP asked.

I am still stunned that he said-

'but having been very thirsty for the past 40 miles of my journey'

Most people would not drive for 40 miles past shops, garages, supermarkets etc., without stopping if they had been very thirsty for the last 40 miles!

Of course they wouldn't, you would just stop at the shop...
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but most people wouldn't dream of walking into a hotel asking for a drink of water

To be fair, when my husband was ill, I had, on a number of occasions, to stop and ask for help from various places,. Nothing major, just the equivalent of a glass of water, and, having politely explained the situation, I was met with kindness and consideration, and with offers of help sometimes in excess of what I requested. Think all of this is down to attitude on all parties
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you post a link to that?
    Just enter Penmaenuchaf Hall in the TA search box.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good for them. screw you. as a bar worker why should i waste my time with you rather than a paying customer? even somebody buying half a blackcurrant and water @ 40p would get more of my time than you, who would get a straight **** off.
    The fact you ranted so long in your OP, you know you are wrong and just want oher bellends to agree with you.

Even allowing for the minor inconvenience that it is illegal for a licenced premises to refuse to serve tap water if requested?

Tap water in restaurants

Just wondering......

BTW If I were ever in a bar where you were serving and I asked for a tap water and you gave me "a straight **** off" as a reply, I would make sure you lost your job.
This discussion has been closed.