the kate bush appreciation thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear Charles Shaar Murray trying to justify the crappy review he gave Kate's last live performances?

"She was only doing what David Bowie had done years before".

Gimme strength!
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been checking out the Guardian blog.

The show is going down a storm, as expected;-)

Kate is bare-foot in some pics, and looks great.

Kate's son also features.

And someone has tweeted that all of her albums are currently in the Top 100:cool:..Whole Story, currently the highest at 8...Aerial, the lowest at 75.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't able to even try to avoid spoilers in the end, after banging on for weeks about how I'm going to be careful. I have spent the last couple of hours following everything and I couldn't be more excited.

I have no idea how I'm going to cope waiting for three weeks when I will get to see Kate for myself.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I'm just back from Hammersmith. I know many of you on here don't want ANY spoilers, so all I'll say is - you are going to LOVE it! :):D:):D
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

Do not click link if you're avoiding spoilers.

Review of opening night in the Guardian here:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/26/kate-bush-before-the-dawn-eventim-apollo-review
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how I'm going to cope when I see the show. No doubt I will embarrass myself horribly many times, oh dear! :D
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Ah, sweet - You think it`ll be an iPhone/iPad free gig?
    The request not to use phones seemed to be well respected. There certainly wasn't a sea of little glowing screens being waved about as you see at some gigs.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    No spoilers, for those trying to avoid stuff, but for anyone else check out the BBC iPlayer for this morning's BBC 6 Music music news on the Shaun Keaveney Breakfast Show, with Matt Everet. Absolutely fantastic description of what sounds like a mind-blowing, highly innovative show, and a set list that does not disappoint.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

Music news was broadcast around 7:45am
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    The request not to use phones seemed to be well respected. There certainly wasn't a sea of little glowing screens being waved about as you see at some gigs.

So nobody was filming/recording? Nobody at all?

Nothing pre-1985 either? Everyone there must`ve been assuming Wuthering Heights was a dead cert. What a bizarre decision to omit it.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member

Nothing pre-1985 either? Everyone there must`ve been assuming Wuthering Heights was a dead cert. What a bizarre decision to omit it.

Some apparently were - but not many. There are a few camera phone pics floating about and a short vid on YouTube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe she just can't sing it any more. Her voice has changed.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it was recorded by fans. the video footage was more of a proof of concept than something you'd watch though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone there must`ve been assuming Wuthering Heights was a dead cert. What a bizarre decision to omit it.

It really isn't a surprise to me at all, but I've followed Kate's career closely for about seven years. I guess if you're someone who listens to The Whole Story but not much else it would seem puzzling, but to me it makes sense that she doesn't include it.
  • lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was at the Tuesday show:) dont want too say too much too spoil it for others.
    but, you will enjoy it, quite breathtaking and overwhelming at times.
    i was dissapointed not too hear Wuthering Heights, but there was always the chance this would happen for a variety of reasons.
    A really enjoyable 3 hours.

there was a reminder given at the start , that Kate would like people to enjoy the moment and please dont use phones etc.
    this was met with a cheer of approval, no one near where we were sat used a phone, and venue staff were checking regularly
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i'm so pleased with the artistic vision by using two parts of two albums released since she last toured (both perhaps her most critically acclaimed pieces of work) set with a thread of story ...

I have a feeling she will tour again :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lavender50 wrote: »
    there was a reminder given at the start , that Kate would like people to enjoy the moment and please dont use phones etc.
    this was met with a cheer of approval, no one near where we were sat used a phone, and venue staff were checking regularly

It's great to hear that people are being so respectful of Kate's wishes. I can't imagine many other performers that would be granted the same positive response to a request like that in the MeMeMe day and age.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been checking out the Guardian blog.

The show is going down a storm, as expected;-)

Kate is bare-foot in some pics, and looks great.

Kate's son also features.

And someone has tweeted that all of her albums are currently in the Top 100:cool:..Whole Story, currently the highest at 8...Aerial, the lowest at 75.

She was utterly brilliant. The band were utterly brilliant. Right now life is utterly brilliant. :D:D
  • lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    She was utterly brilliant. The band were utterly brilliant. Right now life is utterly brilliant. :D:D

:) and Kate Bush sets new Official Chart Record!:):cool:
  • digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lavender50 wrote: »
    :) and Kate Bush sets new Official Chart Record!:):cool:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/31/kate-bush-eight-entries-uk-official-album-chart

she's all over the place. 2014 is definitely the year of Kate:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the Katemania, it's brilliant to see a true musician of genuine talent who doesn't rely on attention seeking antics or a reality show getting the headlines.

Only 16 more days until I see Her Kateness live! I can't believe it, it's coming around so quickly! The only thing that worries me is I've channeled all my happiness and excitement into this one thing. When it's over I don't know what I'll do with myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw kate last night:D still a bit shocked and awestruck. Amazing !!!
    I'm still a bit speechless , she sounded fantastic and the whole thing is still a tad emotional.
    For those still to go, you are in for a treat for the senses:)
    The crowd last night were very well behaved, no photo/video issues and everyone even got up for a bop during cloudbusting:D
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    I'm still a bit speechless , she sounded fantastic and the whole thing is still a tad emotional.
    For those still to go, you are in for a treat for the senses:)
    The crowd last night were very well behaved, no photo/video issues and everyone even got up for a bop during cloudbusting:D

Great stuff! Any variation on the set list?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Great stuff! Any variation on the set list?

No, it was the same as reported on the opening night.
    Because of the narrative of the show there's not really much scope for change other than perhaps the first 3 or last 2 songs.
  • cambs1965cambs1965 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the concert last night. Still cant quite believe it. I cried more than once, just to hear some of my favourite songs sung live by Kate. The Ninth Wave was a triumph.
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    I know the feeling, there's just no way you can explain it really is there? Kinda cool as thread mates that we were both experiencing it at the same time! :)