Options

Iphone 4g

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
Forum Member
✭✭
I keep hearing about the iphone 4g coming out in late june july and will be on all networks. However all I can find on the net about it is that apple are planning to announce a new phone in june. Has this been comfirmed by apple and am I looking in the wrong places. Or is it still speculation ?

Comments

• Options
    benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    There are a few videos on youtube of features of the new 4.0

Multitasking is one of them, nothing will prize me away from my jailbroken 3.1.2 though, nothing.
  • Options
    KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like Iphones they aint as good as everyone makes out.
    Get the HTC Desire instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KOP1975 wrote: »
    Iphones suck.

Sure, do this if you are poor and like phones that are lulzy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh? Are you saying the Iphone is better than the Desire? you jest?

How Apple have ripped people off for years is amazing - credit where its due they have a great Marketing dept.

There are much better PCs, Phones and MP3 players out there than what Apple produce.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh come on, thats probably the most immature thing ive ever heard anyone say regarding the iPhone. I have more than enough disposeable income but I have yet to crave an iPhone. My HTC Hero also does everything I need and more, plus I can customise to my needs anytime I want. Different strokes for different folks, fanboy :)
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphones suck.

While i agree the Desire is a superior handset, your use of language to be constructive leaves a little to be desired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    true, ill stick to all my free apps though ta ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While i agree the Desire is a superior handset, your use of language to be constructive leaves a little to be desired.

i changed it just for you.

do you love me now?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bewitched wrote: »
    I keep hearing about the iphone 4g coming out in late june july and will be on all networks. However all I can find on the net about it is that apple are planning to announce a new phone in june. Has this been comfirmed by apple and am I looking in the wrong places. Or is it still speculation ?

It hasn't been confirmed but Apple tend to do a yearly product refresh and the iPhone 3GS came out last June.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

It's all about personal choice. I've had my iphone 3gs for three months and I wouldn't touch a htc phone with a barge pole. Each to their own. Why does one have to be better than the other? The marketing man had nothing to do with my choice. After trying various handsets out I chose the one that best fitted MY needs. Some people just like to stir things up and create drama when there is none. There is room for both handsets on the market and competition can only be a good thing as it stops phone makers from getting complacent. Apple may have the best selling smart phone but to keep that dominant market position they have to bring more to the table and with multi tasking that is the first step.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Desire so Im keen to see what it's like. I think it will take some doing to make me go from the iphone to another phone. I've had a lot of mobile phones over the years and for me personally the iphone has been the best by far. I'm not overly keen on HTC, my OH has the G1 which I dont like. I also have a HTC touch diamond 2 which im not keen on at all. But I have heard Desire is really good.
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is everyone calling it the iPhone 4G???

the iPhone is simply that, the iPhone - the reason it was called the 3G was because the original incarnation was only capable of EDGE speeds, the second was the 3G with a 3G capability and the 3GS (third) was capable of 7.2Mps which is why the S means "speed" .... 3GS(peed)

when the next iPhone comes out, if they call it the iPhone 4G then they're confusing 2 separate markets - 4G communications and a fourth generation handset.

Given that we're still using 3G communications systems, until the 4G networks have their standards defined and are fully rolled out, the next model will still only be a 3G phone, so calling it a 4G will likely cause confusion with the telecoms industry (not the punters, they won't get the difference) but the next model will almost certainly NOT be called an iPhone 4G, Apple will probably drop the reference to 3G/3GS and go "back" to calling it an iPhone

the whole concept of the iPhone was that the user wasn't using a specific handset device, they were using a phone integrated with an OS that would make it useful for the user, so Apple having to keep reminding customers of it's capabilities is kind of getting away from their original intentions for the platform
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't the Iphones for poor people too?. They're hardly in the same price league as a Vertu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Given that we're still using 3G communications systems, until the 4G networks have their standards defined and are fully rolled out, the next model will still only be a 3G phone, so calling it a 4G will likely cause confusion with the telecoms industry (not the punters, they won't get the difference) but the next model will almost certainly NOT be called an iPhone 4G, Apple will probably drop the reference to 3G/3GS and go "back" to calling it an iPhone

Rumous are it will be the iPhone HD as it will support high definition (720p?).
    My guess is the 2011 iPhone will be the iPhone Full HD
    in 2012? iPhone FFS?

;)
    Aren't the Iphones for poor people too?. They're hardly in the same price league as a Vertu.

:D
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few videos on youtube of features of the new 4.0

Multitasking is one of them, nothing will prize me away from my jailbroken 3.1.2 though, nothing.
    true, ill stick to all my free apps though ta ;)
    With the exception of downloading hacked apps from dubious sources for free. The new software may well tempt many away from the jailbreak scene with it's smooth multi-tasking and use of folders etc.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I dont like Iphones they aint as good as everyone makes out.

Its a combination of things that make the iPhone the best device:

The best UI of all devices out there
    Pretty Good Hardware (though the phone reception could be better:cool:)
    and lots of very good useful apps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I would like to get an HTC but they cannot seamlessly sync with my Mac, unlike my lowly Nokia so it will be iPhone for me.

Out of contract so just waiting to see what may or may not be released by Apple for the summer.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I think they will get away with calling it 4g because it will be os 4
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they could call it the iPhone 4, but why would they?? the OS isn't tied to a particular handset, so calling it iPhone 4 would make it's name redundant in 6 months time when iPhone OS 4.1, 4.2 and even next year when they'll update it and release iPhone OS 5, it will still work on the fourth gen model, so naming it iPhone 4 would seem pointless
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone HD seems the likely choice I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    iPhone 2010 has a nice ring errr tone.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »
    Oh come on, thats probably the most immature thing ive ever heard anyone say regarding the iPhone. I have more than enough disposeable income but I have yet to crave an iPhone. My HTC Hero also does everything I need and more, plus I can customise to my needs anytime I want. Different strokes for different folks, fanboy :)

So, you don't like iphones but anyone who does is a fanboy? :confused:

And I don't own either but my contract is up next month and I'm sitting on the fence until I see something I like.
    DarthGore wrote: »
    the next model will almost certainly NOT be called an iPhone 4G, Apple will probably drop the reference to 3G/3GS and go "back" to calling it an iPhone

the whole concept of the iPhone was that the user wasn't using a specific handset device, they were using a phone integrated with an OS that would make it useful for the user, so Apple having to keep reminding customers of it's capabilities is kind of getting away from their original intentions for the platform

But it was Apple who called the new iphones 3G and 3GS as they needed to differentiate between the different models, which doesn't work too well if all models have the same name.
  • Options
    minty82minty82 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohirome wrote: »

Care to contradict yourself any more?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    But it was Apple who called the new iphones 3G and 3GS as they needed to differentiate between the different models, which doesn't work too well if all models have the same name.
    Yes but they named them based on the principal features that differentiated them from the previous model(s). The iPhone 3G wasn't the 3rd generation iPhone (it was the second), but 3G was its defining feature, hence it was called the iPhone 3G. Similiarly the iPhone 3GS was still using 3G but doing so at faster speeds (and having faster processor, more memory etc.), hence it was called the iPhone 3GS (with the S for Speed).

The 4th version of the iPhone won't be using 4G so that won't be its defining feature. The specs won't be revealed until June (probably), but the strong suspicion is that it's defining differential feature will be a higher resolution screen, hence the expectation of it being called the iPhone HD.

Things also get very muddled when we start talking about the OS versions (which are also on an annual development cycle), as those simply go up in numerical order each year, and iPhone OS 4.0 has actually been announced as on the way (and expected to be released alongside the new iPhone hardware when it appears). Up until now all iPhones got updated by new iPhone OS, though there is a suggestion that may not be the case with iPhone OS 4.0. The iPhone 3G will only get a subset of the new features (e.g. no multitasking), and the original iPhone (2G) may not get OS 4.0 at all.
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    With the exception of downloading hacked apps from dubious sources for free. The new software may well tempt many away from the jailbreak scene with it's smooth multi-tasking and use of folders etc.

I have multitasking with "Proswitcher" and folders with "Categories" Multitasking would not tempt me away from from my Jailbroken phone.