Sky+ box registered to another.

stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone heard of this before, I knew the viewing card had to be paired with a specific box but having tried to get our new refurbished box paired and failed I read on the Sky forums that boxes are now registered to previous owners. :confused:

Anyone else bought a new old box and resolved it, had the Sky adviser send signals, take box details/serial number.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Anyone heard of this before, I knew the viewing card had to be paired with a specific box but having tried to get our new refurbished box paired and failed I read on the Sky forums that boxes are now registered to previous owners. :confused:

I suggest that's untrue - I've never had any problems in that respect. I further suggest that they 'may' be a small number of boxes out there that are 'black listed' in some way - such as because they have been stolen, or are still within the first 12 months of an existing contract.

In what way did you 'fail' to get it paired, and if it's a 'refurbished' box, where did it come from?.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the subscription channels are working, bought it off Ebay. Refurbished direct from Sky it says, full year guarantee. No one from Sky in the thread at their forums have denied it, all very annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    You are doing well to get 12 months guarantee from ebay because Sky only give 3 months on their refurbs.
    I gave my nephew my old HD box at the weekend and he had no problems pairing with his card.
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be a complete "red herring" but it wasn't a Thomson box was it.
    I can forsee a time when SKY might "refuse" to pair a viewing card to a Thomson box.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    None of the subscription channels are working, bought it off Ebay. Refurbished direct from Sky it says, full year guarantee. No one from Sky in the thread at their forums have denied it, all very annoying.

When you rang to pair the box did they refuse to do it? - if not, then simply ring back and get them to do it again, it's quite common for the CS to mess it up.

As far as I can see you seem to be worrying about nothing?.
  • poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member

Anyone else bought a new old box and resolved it, had the Sky adviser send signals, take box details/serial number.

Yep. Happened to me too. I bought a 'brand new' box from amazon. When it arrived it appeared to be brand new. Fully boxed etc. When I tried to register it, SKY refused saying it was already under contract with another person.

Pretty sure the chap selling was party to a convoluted fraud where the signed up 'people' with sky contracts, sold the boxes and bumped the contract.

anyway I digress. I made 5 or 6 calls to sky hoping for a different outcome. No way could any of the operators pair my card with this box as it was in a live contract elsewhere. Seller refused refund. Had to make a claim under amazon promise regs. Still awaiting refund.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poggs wrote: »
    Yep. Happened to me too. I bought a 'brand new' box from amazon. When it arrived it appeared to be brand new. Fully boxed etc. When I tried to register it, SKY refused saying it was already under contract with another person.

Pretty sure the chap selling was party to a convoluted fraud where the signed up 'people' with sky contracts, sold the boxes and bumped the contract.

anyway I digress. I made 5 or 6 calls to sky hoping for a different outcome. No way could any of the operators pair my card with this box as it was in a live contract elsewhere. Seller refused refund. Had to make a claim under amazon promise regs. Still awaiting refund.

Send an e-mail to jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330713366992

This is where I bought it from, nice box with the plastic film still on and company seems legit, pretty good deal. I'll give Sky a ring.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it fails, send an email to the address in my above post