Options

Census Results 2011

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »

You sure? Not read the link but unless I'm misreading some numbers British whites are still 80% of the population.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I don't see absorption. I see mass transplantations and ghettos. Have you ever walked around certain areas in Leicester or Bradford?

You really do need to go away and do a bit of research.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    You really do need to go away and do a bit of research.

Yes, and you need to leave your 'wee' village in Scotland and see what the rest of the UK is like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What on earth are you on about? Paganism and druidism are probably the only indigenous religions.

The Romans didn't wipe anything out - they were probably as multicultural as today - people carried on worship as usual. But Constantine did popularize Christianity.

I know! I actually can't stop laughing. Must be a full moon!
  • Options
    SolarHorizonSolarHorizon Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I've lived in Edinburgh for about 6 years and it's a very multicultural city. I've met and befriended people from Poland, Spain, India, China and so on. Couldn't even imagine going back to the monocultural town I came from, looks so weird to me now :-S

That's not to say uncontrolled immigration with the potential to create ghettos where people are trapped geographically, socially and economically due to limited language and cultural understanding are a good thing; but I am worried people (eg the DM) will use the fear of a changing demographic to promote some sort of backlash against minorities and attempt to whitewash the country.

The other thing is that it's not a one way system, many people who are originally from Britain will go to Europe, India, China, Japan and such and increase their non-ethnic population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, and you need to leave your 'wee' village in Scotland and see what the rest of the UK is like.

Oh you mean Alum Rock, Castle Bromwich and Aston in Birmingham where I spent a large part of my life while studying at Uni and working.

Another miss.... I'm starting to feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth are you on about? Paganism and druidism are probably the only indigenous religions.

The Romans didn't wipe anything out - they were probably as multicultural as today - people carried on worship as usual. But Constantine did popularize Christianity.

They were pretty tolerant but I think they did put a stop to some customs they found unnacceptable within the empire such as organised human sacrifice and were pretty critical about this too. I'm not sure what other customs the poster is pining for that were found unacceptable in a multi-cultural Roman Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other thing is that it's not a one way system, many people who are originally from Britain will go to Europe, India, China, Japan and such and increase their non-ethnic population.

Unfortunately many of those leaving are highly-skilled professionals:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9659949/UK-facing-middle-class-brain-drain-as-professionals-seek-better-lives-abroad.html
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Have to lol at the BBC making out this demographic change is something that's "just happened" rather than being a deliberate and admitted Labour plan.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you mean Alum Rock, Castle Bromwich and Aston in Birmingham where I spent a large part of my life while studying at Uni and working.

When was that? 1965?

So wonderful, you decided to move back to parochial old Scotland.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    When was that? 1965?

Billy Braggitis, a lot of the left have it, they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to recognising hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    When was that? 1965?

:D

In 2001, Scotland had around an ethnic minority of around 100,000, or 2% of the population.

In 2009, England and Wales (mostly England) had an ethnic minority of around 9.1 million, or over 10% of the population.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah - what we really need to know!

Census 2011: how many Jedi Knights are there in England & Wales?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/11/census-religion?CMP=twt_gu

I was honest and said Agnostic on that. Wish I was one of the 1958 heathens instead. :D
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    What dreadful and unsettling statistics these are. Thank goodness, in many repects, that I am now almost 75 years old and won't live long enough to another 30 years of influx and dilution of our culture.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    A tough gig full stop. About the last peep you want at your door. It must be very disheartening for them to see the look on people's faces - yet they keep on going - I'll give them that much!

I had some Jehos at the door on Saturday, two old ladies. One pointed out the cover of Watchtower and read the title "I'd just like to discuss this subject - `The Importance of Patience' - I hope you'll be patient with us this morning" (other lady laughs as though it's the first time she's heard this "joke").
    Me - "Actually, I won't be as I'm meeting the mayor of Bristol in about 40 minutes".
    To be fair, they quietly left at that point.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    What dreadful and unsettling statistics these are. Thank goodness, in many repects, that I am now almost 75 years old and won't live long enough to another 30 years of influx and dilution of our culture.

I'm looking forward to the diversification of our culture. Too many stuffy, middle-class whites in the UK.
  • Options
    EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That confused me too.

If the UK population is currently around 62 million and there are currently 7.5m foreign-born residents then that equates TO 13% of the total population.

I think that's what they meant to say.

Thanks, that makes sense. Ruddy illiterate journos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the diversification of our culture. Too many stuffy, middle-class whites in the UK.

Fine then but you go then and live abroad in a country of your choice where we, the stuffy middle-class don't abound. Try Jordan or Syria for starters or perhaps Iran.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »

If the human race continues long enough then we should start seeing a merging of all cultures. I think that's a good thing. Differences breed war and hate.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but around 6 times as many people come here compared to those who are leaving.
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If the human race continues long enough then we should start seeing a merging of all cultures..

What a boring world that will be.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

Which particular parts of our culture would you like to see change?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If the human race continues long enough then we should start seeing a merging of all cultures. I think that's a good thing. Differences breed war and hate.

There is one big flaw in that and that is Religion the largest single reason why people don't and never will get on or integrate properly.
    I view this as a non-believer, atheist or however you want to label me - you cannot offend me on any front where religious bigotry is involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Billy Braggitis, a lot of the left have it, they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to recognising hypocrisy.

While ghettos and ethnic dumps do exist (actually in all ethnic groups) - It's not particularly hypocritical if you don't know the reasons for people shifting areas - it could just be circumstance, and not 'Billy Braggitis'.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're a pious religious homophobe, with a rudimentary grasp of the English language, I can understand your optimism.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MuddyMoose wrote: »
    London no longer a majority White city for the first time,
    Actually London is still majoitively white, just not white-British.

44.9% White British
    14.9% Other White

So that's still 59.8% white.