Would u hire a british cleaner?

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand your problem with references OP. :confused: They have been part and parcel of employment for years.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only ask because would you hire a born and bred british cleaner?
    I was jobless and needed cash since i had no luck getting a job so advertised to do some domestic cleaning.
    One person asked where i was from...i said i was british and heard nothing back,

Is this a trend. It irked me for some reason. Was I supposed to pretend i was foreign or something?
    This is not racist, just a genuine question. I've not experienced that sort of discrimination - if i can do the job it doesn't matter where i'm from...

What the heck is going on???? Some were cool, some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff?
    How many more obstacles do people wanna put in your way if you just want to bloody work? SIgh.

Deleted.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand your problem with references OP. :confused: They have been part and parcel of employment for years.

Not if i'm new to the job - what references would i have exactly?
    I present well, I am very dedicated to whatever I do - it's just hard...
    Some woman hired me, I did her house in 2 hours, cleaned it well, was polite and worked as quickly as possible. She said thanks but wouldn't need me back the following week. I asked her if my work was below par and she refused to tell me or give me any feedback to learn from.

Er, there you have it. I'll leave the cleaning to other people I guess. Can't be bothered to beg for a job only to be turned away for whatever reason that wasn't even made clear to me.
  • TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was jobless and needed cash since i had no luck getting a job so advertised to do some domestic cleaning.
    One person asked where i was from...i said i was british and heard nothing back,

Is this a trend. It irked me for some reason. Was I supposed to pretend i was foreign or something?
    This is not racist, just a genuine question. I've not experienced that sort of discrimination - if i can do the job it doesn't matter where i'm from...

What the heck is going on???? Some were cool, some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff?
    How many more obstacles do people wanna put in your way if you just want to bloody work? SIgh.

Out of interest - How was that person contacting you to ask that question? Was it on the phone?

If I had asked that question "Where are you from?" and then received the answer"I'm British" then I too might have been put off the thought of employing you.
    The person may only have been just trying to get a bit of background on you or even strike up a bit of conversational rapport.
    He might have been expecting you to reply something like,
    I'm from Cheltenham or Tunbridge Wells or something but instead it was you who might have turned it back onto them as though it was them that was bringing the racial card into play.

It is just a thought. It is only you who can report how the conversation went
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Not if i'm new to the job - what references would i have exactly? .

No work related references? Character references?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest - How was that person contacting you to ask that question? Was it on the phone?

If I had asked that question "Where are you from?" and then received the answer"I'm British" then I too might have been put off the thought of employing you.
    The person may only have been just trying to get a bit of background on you or even strike up a bit of conversational rapport.
    He might have been expecting you to reply something like,
    I'm from Cheltenham or Tunbridge Wells or something but instead it was you who might have turned it back onto them as though it was them that was bringing the racial card into play.

It is just a thought. It is only you who can report how the conversation went

It was a text and he wanted my vital stats and references - i didn't think it was at ALL relevant where I was from, come to think of it. The very fact I spoke english and could write back competently should have said it all. I get he was possibly making convo lol - but whatever - i think the assumption made was that i was foreign since lots of cleaners apparently are? No idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    No work related references? Character references?

Sure I have that. I thought they wanted cleaning references. Don't forget, I've been unemployed for a while, I have mental health issues/depression which makes it hard to hold down a job.
    Anyway, it's all irrelevant now. I'm joining a recruitment agency to see what i can get that way.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I had a local girl as a cleaner/ironer for about 3 months. She was very nice, but not the fastest worker in the world. I was paying her £10 an hour, for which I'd expect a good, reliable service. However, 70% of the days she was due in, she would text in the morning to say that either she, her husband or her daughter was ill and she couldn't make it in. As I had a mountain of ironing and cleaning building up whilst I was at work, I had to let her go. I went through an agency for a while, but once I was on top of things, I cancelled to save on the money.
    I could do with a person again now, though!!
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum has hired 3 cleaners over the past few years, all British. Two she got through an agency - might be better OP if you registered with one yourself?
    Mum let one cleaner go because of her standards. She didn't tell the woman this, as she did an adequate job, but not good enough for Mum. Mum's thinking is that if you're paying someone £10 an hour he/she needs to do a better job than if you're doing it all herself. She wanted a proper deep clean and this lady just seem to give everywhere a quick wipe over and leave dusty corners. Mum can give the place a quick 'once over' herself.
    The other two were good at their job, but when money became a bit tight, they were the first thing she cut back on. Having a cleaner at home is a luxury, so I'm not suprised that there's so little work available.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is a cleaner and works hard, but the people he works for just look down their nose at him because he's just "the cleaner". He gets paid to do 21 hours a week, but does a lot more, unpaid, to get the place cleaned to the required standard. They want to cut his hours to 13 but still get it as clean as before.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    The other two were good at their job, but when money became a bit tight, they were the first thing she cut back on. Having a cleaner at home is a luxury, so I'm not suprised that there's so little work available.
    It depends on the area.

When I worked for the local authority one of our children's homes found it very difficult to employ a cleaner because the home was slap back in the commuter belt of West Kent and all the city folk thereabouts paid far more per hour for cleaners than the local authority could afford to.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some woman hired me, I did her house in 2 hours, cleaned it well, was polite and worked as quickly as possible. She said thanks but wouldn't need me back the following week. I asked her if my work was below par and she refused to tell me or give me any feedback to learn from.

Er, there you have it. I'll leave the cleaning to other people I guess. Can't be bothered to beg for a job only to be turned away for whatever reason that wasn't even made clear to me.

Any references would be gladly received whether you are new to the job or not. It would be good to have previous experience but to expect to get a job just because you are new at it and want to get ahead and say you work hard won't cut the mustard.

You need to prove to people that this is the case. Thus that is why they get references in the first place. These references can be family members and other jobs that you have done which can verify your character etc. These are people's homes you are going into.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband is a cleaner and works hard, but the people he works for just look down their nose at him because he's just "the cleaner". He gets paid to do 21 hours a week, but does a lot more, unpaid, to get the place cleaned to the required standard. They want to cut his hours to 13 but still get it as clean as before.

How massive is their house that they need so many hours to clean a week. He must be there everyday?
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

To be quite honest, I'd prefer a British cleaner.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My workplace hired a Welsh cleaner who was the laziest most bone idle slob ever who could always be found in the canteen or at the smoking area if you needed to ask her to clean something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have a white English Cleaner she is the third in 18months,we were reasonably happy with the last two (they both had family illness so had to give up, the present one runs her own business and does quite well for work and does a very nice job. It never occurred to me to think about nationality and we were fortunate that she was recomended to us by a friend of my mother-in-law.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would ask you to reflect more carefully on that experience even though it did only last two hours.

I don't believe that it was because you were British that you were not asked to come back.

In some of your other posts you mentioned that you are a smoker. Could that lady whose house you cleaned have suddenly realised this and rejected you because of it.

Again it is just a thought and I am only trying to help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask you to reflect more carefully on that experience even though it did only last two hours.

I don't believe that it was because you were British that you were not asked to come back.

In some of your other posts you mentioned that you are a smoker. Could that lady whose house you cleaned have suddenly realised this and rejected you because of it.

Again it is just a thought and I am only trying to help.

Lol, well I hadn't taken any smoking break sif thats what u mean. I dont when I'm cleaning. Also, I couldn't have smelt of smoke either. Haha. I dont know - that woman can shove a cucumber up her jacksie - I'm not interested in working for snooty, weird people like her.

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am putting this thread forward for:
    The Thread of the Week Awards

:):):)
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Lol, well I hadn't taken any smoking break sif thats what u mean. I dont when I'm cleaning. Also, I couldn't have smelt of smoke either. Haha. I dont know - that woman can shove a cucumber up her jacksie - I'm not interested in working for snooty, weird people like her.

:D:D

Yeah, your attitude is great. I'd hire you in a second. :rolleyes:

I have a white English cleaner who is fantastic, and such a nice person. And, yes, she came with references. What planet are you living on if you think that it's weird to want references before you give someone the keys to your house and leave them to it while you are at work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yeah, your attitude is great. I'd hire you in a second. :rolleyes:

I have a white English cleaner who is fantastic, and such a nice person. And, yes, she came with references. What planet are you living on if you think that it's weird to want references before you give someone the keys to your house and leave them to it while you are at work?

I predicted someone would mention my attitude - you're clueless to be judging how I actually am when i'm working. Don't be so predictable next time. And please dont insult me like that. Thanks. Have a good day.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    How massive is their house that they need so many hours to clean a week. He must be there everyday?

He works for a company, he's there six days a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am putting this thread forward for:
    The Thread of the Week Awards

:):):)

LOL! Why on earth?.....Oh, sarcasm? :D:D
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Not one without references, no!
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predicted someone would mention my attitude - you're clueless to be judging how I actually am when i'm working. Don't be so predictable next time. And please dont insult me like that. Thanks. Have a good day.

Your attitude on here IS off. What else do people have to go on when they only see you on here?

I can't believe you would think you wouldn't need references, seriously. They go for any job usually, let alone one where you are often alone in people's houses/offices!