Options

DM Showbiz gone all US-ified?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Is it funny that I notice yesterday that DM's Sidebar of Shame featured about five different features about Reese Witherspoon's arrest?
  • Options
    freaky_fridayfreaky_friday Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    It's probably due to earning more from advertising revenue. Simple maths; the US has more people = more website views = more money.
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    It is definitely to do with advertising revenue. The DM website is meant to be the most profitable newspaper website.

And it isn't just the sidebar of shame that has gone US, if you look at some of the news after the main articles about 25% are US stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I think the website is actually a US media site and the Uk Daily Mail adds the UK news section:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It is very americanised. They're obsessed with Suri Cruise and Kim K.

They use very American language too - I've seen 'cell phone', 'pants' (for trousers), 'bangs' (for some kind of hairstyle??) and of course 'gotten' - not that I ever look of course *blush*

IIRC bangs mean fringe (I think)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know. I mean if you had a name like "Vanderpump" you'd change it wouldn't you? I would :D

:D I wouldn't know whether to change it or copy-write it! :eek:
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Been getting lots of American adverts too, Smokey the fire bear, Bill Clinton, I'm a little far from Yellowstone Park ya know. :D

Me too. I thought a lot of ads were tailored nowadays. If they are, I must be careful of the bears in London:eek: And throw a bucket of water over the neighbour's barbecue just in case:D
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    It's not just the Mail (though they are by far the worst offender), it's the media as a whole. We're becoming more Americanised by the day and I find it very depressing. Why are we so happy to ditch our own identity when it comes to British English? There's nothing wrong with American English but I don't understand why we want to adopt it so much when there is nothing wrong with our own either.
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    It's not just the Mail (though they are by far the worst offender), it's the media as a whole. We're becoming more Americanised by the day and I find it very depressing. Why are we so happy to ditch our own identity when it comes to British English? There's nothing wrong with American English but I don't understand why we want to adopt it so much when there is nothing wrong with our own either.

Follow the advertising money, it's simple as that.
  • Options
    duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP here, am joining the :o crew who check into the DM showbiz, um, occasionally.

But, I'm enjoying it less and less with all the US no marks as well as the UK ones. Who are they???

Will make an exception for Lisa Vanderpump. What a name!

:):p:o
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is it just me?

I have no idea who chat show host, Wendy Williams is, nor am I that intrested in 'former American Idol star, Diana DeGarmo, spotted flaunting her flat stomach with fiance Ace Young.

Or, swimmer, Ryan Lochte, anyone?

These all getting a top billing on the Showbiz home page.

Or am I just further behing the times than I thought and they're actually household names?

:confused:

Thank you for this thread, I agree with every word almost all the so called slebs written about on here and the Daily Mail I have never heard of.

Desperate fame **** searching for column inches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I was watching Sky News' 'Press Preview' earlier and(when talking about the Cleveland kidnap story) one of the guests said that there are more US visitors on the Mail Online these days than there are Brits.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    I think the website is actually a US media site and the Uk Daily Mail adds the UK news section:confused:
    Daily Mail and General Trust are based in the UK unless the website is operated independently in collaboration with the Daily Mail here etc
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday, they had about 30 articles on the Met Ball !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly live up to the "Dumb American" stereotype I know that.

When the DM covered the recent hen party mini bus crash under the headline, "Hen Party Horror" several Americans commented underneath it stating that referring to women as "hens" is sexist and offensive. People kept trying to explain to them what a hen party was, and yet the comments kept on coming. They couldn't seem to grasp what a hen party was and that its not offensive at all.
    This made me laugh. We call the, Bachelorette parties and Bachelor parties. When I first heard the terms hen and stag on hollyoaks, I was confused at first, but then understood what they meant. I've noticed that DM tends to change certain words in the article depending on if an American is viewing it. (I've been on with American and British IPs) Most notably, a headline will have someone receiving or giving pounds, but when clicking on the article it changes to the equivalent in dollars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

I saw that and did this - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The showbiz section of the Mail online has gone from being one of the more readable gossip site to an overly Americanised piece of trash. It's disappointing and ridiculous and has become more or less unreadable to me due to the appallingly biased content and obvious trolling in comments from pathetically desperate PR teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was watching Sky News' 'Press Preview' earlier and(when talking about the Cleveland kidnap story) one of the guests said that there are more US visitors on the Mail Online these days than there are Brits.

American totally dominates the internet. It's why DS is my first stop because despite the forums containing a lot of lunacy and trolls, it's still one of the few busy UK-centric sites on the web.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    American totally dominates the internet. It's why DS is my first stop because despite the forums containing a lot of lunacy and trolls, it's still one of the few busy UK-centric sites on the web.

It is!
    Nice post, Ivy. :)

Even though they wind me up, I still love the PA/KP threads.

At least we know who they are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

I agree!

There was more on this event than there was on the Oscars!

It probably shows how far the DM Showbiz has come since earler this year in terms of U clicks. And advertising revenue.

I'm starting to miss our home-grown Z-listers!

:eek:
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been noticing that myself for weeks. A lot of the showbiz stories and news features are all about americans... half of them I have no idea about !!!

In the last night or two on Sky News when they were reviewing the papers, one of the reviewers actually mentioned this !! He said the DM paper is generally UK based stories,but the ONLINE version has now become totally geared towards the US market. There must be dosh in it for them !
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got really bad as far as the US content goes. Soon we'll probably be lucky to have half a dozen UK based stories because it's become very noticeable how much more the website has been pandering to Americans these past few weeks. It's irritating me so much I've hardly glanced at the "sidebar of shame" at all and when I saw all those articles on the Met Ball, I really couldn't believe it.

While I see the point in following the money, I do feel they are doing a disservice by snubbing their UK readers. Not that losing anything from the Mail is a tragedy, but I do like using their site due to the sensible layout. Other online newspapers have either gone behind a pay wall, have hideous layouts, or are just somehow lacking. For as outrageous as the Mail is, they know how to entertain if you don't take their drivel seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got really bad as far as the US content goes. Soon we'll probably be lucky to have half a dozen UK based stories because it's become very noticeable how much more the website has been pandering to Americans these past few weeks. It's irritating me so much I've hardly glanced at the "sidebar of shame" at all and when I saw all those articles on the Met Ball, I really couldn't believe it.

While I see the point in following the money, I do feel they are doing a disservice by snubbing their UK readers. Not that losing anything from the Mail is a tragedy, but I do like using their site due to the sensible layout. Other online newspapers have either gone behind a pay wall, have hideous layouts, or are just somehow lacking. For as outrageous as the Mail is, they know how to entertain if you don't take their drivel seriously.

So true, offtotheraces!

I never thought I'd miss reading about the UK Z-listers so much, so I'm :o to admit that I do. Sort of. bUt not that much!

I can get all I need here on DS!

So am weaning my sorry self off it all quite easily as there's less of them on my previous go-to showbiz dirty secret.

I still can't work out if it's good or bad :o
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not really needed to wean myself off of the Mail as seeing the US content come to dominate it so much lately has made the decision to quit reading very easy indeed - like you say, there's still this forum. :D

I will miss it though, as embarrassing as that is to admit. Their sidebar was good for a laugh.

Are there any other showbiz news sites which are more UK focused and not behind a pay wall/have a decent layout? I'd appreciate links, if so.