EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
Forum Member
A continuation of the old "What happened to the Orange TMobile 3G share?" thread created over a year ago.

As the discussion no longer fitted the title (and it's New Year) I thought I'd effect a change.

The discussion lives on here. Have asked for old thread to be closed.

Old thread here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70547175#post70547175

Comments

• qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First.

And to protest I do not like this thread's existence.

Long live the old thread.

And happy new year.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we going have a new thread It should be a MBNL thread not just for EE with separate threads for EE 4G and Three 4G.

At least till end of next year when the 3G will have been fully upgraded.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forgot about 5G to make the thread more future proof ;)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE thread is more appropriate I think as the title details they have 2G, 3G and 4G services across the UK.

MBNL is a RAN sharing arrangement that only covers 2100MHz UMTS, EE have that as well as 1800MHz GSM and 800/1800/2600MHz LTE which is independent of any sharing other than site co-location.

For 4G customers there will be differences in coverage and signal quality and there is also the small matter of the GSM fallback which still accounts for the widest coverage across the UK on all the networks that provide it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MBNL is a RAN sharing arrangement that only covers 2100MHz UMTS, EE have that as well as 1800MHz GSM and 800/1800/2600MHz LTE which is independent of any sharing other than site co-location.
    That's not entirely true. The MBNL sharing between 3 and EE, for 4G, is similar to, and in some ways even deeper than the share between VF & O2 under Cornerstone.

They're not simply colocating 4G equipment. While the cabinets are un-shared, that's about it, all other equipment remains shared between the two parties - including, or so I'm told, the backhaul, mast itself, and more importantly the antenna, splitters, combiners and amplifiers. In many (I'd even say based on my observations, most) cases, EE and 3 continue using the same single set of antennae on their sites for both networks' 3G2100 and EE's GSM and LTE 1800 services - they are using wideband antenna covering 1700-2200Mhz. There is no separate equipment for 4G other than the cabinets.
    For 4G customers there will be differences in coverage and signal quality and there is also the small matter of the GSM fallback which still accounts for the widest coverage across the UK on all the networks that provide it.
    Supposedly, by the time EE's network upgrades are done, they'll only have around 20 non-3G transmitters in the whole of the UK.

VF+O2 claim "98% indoor 2G 3G and 4G" coverage target, how they'll achieve that I haven't a clue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    they are using wideband antenna covering 1700-2200Mhz.

Probably the same as the Americans are using for their 1700 AWS band services now that I think about it. Explains why they look so "American" as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I have no signal here near Holsworthy did EE crash With everyone texting at once lol!
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the same as the Americans are using for their 1700 AWS band services now that I think about it. Explains why they look so "American" as well!

. ,....... . . .. ..
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forgot about 5G to make the thread more future proof ;)

5G :o i only just got over the fact that 4G is out as vodafone says (powered by you) really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . ,....... . . .. ..

!! ! !!!! ! !!! ! ! !! ! !!!!
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Bump!
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    The 4G coverage in Belfast can be quite spotty, even though the coverage maps basically cover the whole city
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no sniff of 4G near my parents, looking at the coverage maps it seems to be just the mast that covers their area, all the ones around have 4G, seems strange to miss out just one and leave a gaping hole in the coverage!

Old T-Mob mast has been removed as it was on a building that is about to be demolished however there is an Orange mast still in operation where I seem to be getting 3G from, anyone in know, know if they'd be upgrading that Orange mast for 4G?
  • rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Supposedly, by the time EE's network upgrades are done, they'll only have around 20 non-3G transmitters in the whole of the UK.

And I bet one of those is in Blaenau Ffestiniog :cry:
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Still no sniff of 4G near my parents, looking at the coverage maps it seems to be just the mast that covers their area, all the ones around have 4G, seems strange to miss out just one and leave a gaping hole in the coverage!

There's one like that in my town, 4G arrived in August, and there is this "hole" in the coverage. Its also by the M3 motorway, so I expect it to be fixed.

There was a lot of roadworks going on in that road, so it probably prevented the MBNL people getting to the mast to upgrade it, and they've moved on to another town. Hopefully they'll come back and upgrade them soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I bet one of those is in Blaenau Ffestiniog :cry:

Very likely as imagine there is no Fibre where you live. Though suppose it could be microwaved in if there is a nearby place which has it. Though with you might be involved in welsh BDUK which would allow the networks to get fibre to your local mast.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think this fits here as well as anywhere.

I received a new T-Mobile sim as a replacement in November. The old sim I had said EE as the network name, whereas the new one has reverted to saying T-Mobile or T-Mobile/Orange. Normally this wouldn't bother me but I have a Moto G which displays the network name in the status bar all the time, making less room for notification icons.

Is there anyway to force a sim update so it will say EE instead?

EDIT: Never mind, found it as soon as I posted this thread. Had to text yes to 2121 to force the update.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to leave mine displaying the old network names. In a nerdy way it's interesting to see the spots where t-mobile (mbnl) fades and old orange infrastructure takes over. Usually find where O2/voda/3/T-mobile signal has gone, orange have good 2G coverage with a local mast to fill in the hole. Hopefully these orange base stations will remain.
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    Usually find where O2/voda/3/T-mobile signal has gone, orange have good 2G coverage with a local mast to fill in the hole. Hopefully these orange base stations will remain.

Sadly no, in most places an old Orange 2G (and sometimes very slow 3G mast) is turned off when an MBNL mast nearby will be, or has been, upgraded. Unless there isn't an MBNL mast, in which case the Orange mast is upgraded to MBNL spec.

The MBNL masts give stunning performance on 3G/HSPA/HSPA+ for EE/Orange/T-Mobile and Three separately. After upgrade they gain EDGE and 4G for EE. Many also seem to provide EDGE support as a free benefit of the newer equipment supporting 2G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's talking about areas where there are no MBNL masts anywhere nearby. There are plenty of places in the rural countryside where an Orange 2G mast is the only mast of any kind for a dozen kilometres usable by EE or 3.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's talking about areas where there are no MBNL masts anywhere nearby. There are plenty of places in the rural countryside where an Orange 2G mast is the only mast of any kind for a dozen kilometres usable by EE or 3.

Yes, that's what I'm on about :)
    Forum Member

Gotcha :) Sounds like the area DevonBloke knows ? :)
  • rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Very likely as imagine there is no Fibre where you live. Though suppose it could be microwaved in if there is a nearby place which has it. Though with you might be involved in welsh BDUK which would allow the networks to get fibre to your local mast.

I still struggle to believe it myself, but the village was actually fibre enabled in September of last year, and I believe almost every cabinet is now live. I have actually just placed an order for FTTC 80/20, due to be installed at the end of the month!

Trying to think where the nearest cab is to the mast in question though? Suppose when I see them digging up the road nearby I'll know somethings going on lol.

I've asked about this mast several times before, to anybody and everybody in the know, and I can't get a even a rough date estimate as to when it'll be upgraded. Only that the EE network should have upgraded all the old 2G masts by end of 2014.

This might be daft but I thought BT fibre in the area had no bearing on mast upgrades - I thought in areas without fibre they'd lay ethernet from the exchange or use microwave backhaul...

My understanding of how they get bandwidth to the transmission site is limited, only that its delivered either by fibre, ethernet or microwave relay.

Our 2G Orange site is microwave relayed.

Can't believe researching the UK fibre rollout in general that we are fibre enabled, and I can have 80mbps delivered to my door, but theres not a sniff of 3G about lol - I'll be doing a speedtest indoors and get 80mbps over wifi, step outside and get 0.03mbps over GPRS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still struggle to believe it myself, but the village was actually fibre enabled in September of last year, and I believe almost every cabinet is now live. I have actually just placed an order for FTTC 80/20, due to be installed at the end of the month!

Trying to think where the nearest cab is to the mast in question though? Suppose when I see them digging up the road nearby I'll know somethings going on lol.

I've asked about this mast several times before, to anybody and everybody in the know, and I can't get a even a rough date estimate as to when it'll be upgraded. Only that the EE network should have upgraded all the old 2G masts by end of 2014.

This might be daft but I thought BT fibre in the area had no bearing on mast upgrades - I thought in areas without fibre they'd lay ethernet from the exchange or use microwave backhaul...

My understanding of how they get bandwidth to the transmission site is limited, only that its delivered either by fibre, ethernet or microwave relay.

Our 2G Orange site is microwave relayed.

Can't believe researching the UK fibre rollout in general that we are fibre enabled, and I can have 80mbps delivered to my door, but theres not a sniff of 3G about lol - I'll be doing a speedtest indoors and get 80mbps over wifi, step outside and get 0.03mbps over GPRS.

Hmm reason I mentioned BT Fibre is that it helps a lot if there is already infrastructure in the area when they are sorting the backhaul out for mast upgrades. Likely that mast will not be microwave relayed then when it is upgraded if fibre backhaul is present like you say.

Very surprising to hear you have BT Fibre in your area still can't get in mine they did the exchange back in October but most of the cabinets still haven't been done yet. Nice to see rural areas getting it done though.

Completely agree with you about mast upgrades it is far better then it was now though nearly get same coverage as my friend gets on EE these days. Still waiting on some main roads in Cheshire to get mast upgrades though I expect blackspots on a couple of those roads will not get filled in till 4G 800MHz is used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found another place in central Edinburgh that has no service from EE or 3, except via an old Orange GPRS micro. I hope they don't get rid of that, or else we'll be left with just O2 and Vodafone 3G. Oh the shame.
This discussion has been closed.