The Breakfast Club - why was/is it such a big hit/favourite?

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wasnt around to watch it in the first time when it was released in the 80s. Watching it now for the first time in 2014 it seems a bit...tame, maybe? And all the kids seem to open up to each other quite early; I'm not sure that would happen nowadays either.

I am gradually watching it, I keep taking breaks, and I do intend to finish it (but I do keep getting a bit bored :/ no offence to anybody who loves it)

What should I be thinking about when watching it? Why was it such a big hit at the time? Does anyone else who didnt see it first time round like it? love it? not get it? Let me know!

I'd love to see a modern remake of it; I think I would 'get' the cliques more - having said that I can't imagine it being done well, a lot of remakes are cheap and crap and lose the spirit of the original. How would a remake work? would be another question. Thoughts?

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are you now? I find people I recommend it to now don't altogether get it, whereas those of 15/16 (how old I was when I watched it for the first time) love it. It might be an age thing rather than a generational thing.

I like the sense of us against the world kind of thing. And the soundtrack is awesome.

Maybe try St Elmo's Fire which I do think has a slightly better storyline (and an equally as wicked soundtrack).

EDIT: I'm 27, so I wasn't around for it in the 80s either! I stumbled across it one night on TV and was obsessed from there on in. It's one of my hangover films.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it for the first time last year and found it brilliant. I just think the fact that all these stereotypes from the usual high school clique's were brought together and realised they had a lot more in common then ever was what spoke to audiences. Especially as it was set over a whole day.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it for the first time last year and found it brilliant. I just think the fact that all these stereotypes from the usual high school clique's were brought together and realised they had a lot more in common then ever was what spoke to audiences. Especially as it was set over a whole day.

Rather than stereotypes I would call the characters archetypes, typical of the types we remember from school. 'The Breakfast Club' let's its characters develop and they come to some sort of epiphany.

You can look back and say that teenagers have infested many movies since but like 'Ferris Bueller....', this movie treats the teenage characters with more respect. The movie tries to understand teenage angst and how teenagers come to grips with the idea of becoming adults. That's why it has a timeless quality and would probably be a clumsy remake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it for the first time 21. Loved it and appreciated it for what it was. A brilliant social study on a group of school misfits.

I proudly own the blu-ray. It's John Hughes' best script.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's an idealised fantasy of teenage behaviour, written and directed by a middle-aged man. Schmaltzy, unconvincing, self-indulgent teen angst predicated on the tragedy of being upper middle class in one of the most affluent countries in the world. Hand me the world's smallest violin.

All the grownups are uncaring brutes, desensitised by adulthood, who don't appreciate the beautiful and unique snowflakes that are their precious charges. Probably the first film to perfectly capture the teenage sense of entitlement and self-righteous that we now take for granted in society.

Yeah, it's not really one of my favourites...:p
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've finished it now. How convenient that everyone pairs up at the end as well. They didnt really come near solving their problems either, did they? And I even kinda felt bad for the nerdy kid thinking that they were all friends now. Must not have had many friends in reality.

Didnt really like any of the characters; they seemed to all be quite set in their ways and think that their way of doing things was the only way; and we never quite got to even understand what the jock boy and the rich girl's problems were. I quite liked the crazy girl; she seemed to be the most genuine of all of them despite all the OTT flopping about for attention.

I really would like to see a 'harder' remake. A british version would probably be much more relatable to me anyway.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was around 12 when it came out, and didn't get it either.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like The Breakfast Club, you don't have a soul.

The kind of people that hate on TBC are the same people who prefer autotune over real vocals.
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »

The kind of people that hate on TBC are the same people who prefer autotune over real vocals.

Oh, I don't hate on it. I just hate it. No superfluous prepositions here, thank you.:p

Sadly, your analogy works in reverse. People who don't like The Breakfast Club prefer credible emotions and feelings in film, as opposed to unconvincing, stylised schmaltz.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fairly entertaining if there nothing else on on a Saturday night but it's definitely a product of its time. There's much better 80's teen flicks such as Porky's or Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    To paraphrase Churchill (the wartime PM, not the insurance dog), if you don't like TBC at 15, you have no heart. If you don't hate it at 35, you have no brain. :p

I think it's a film that if you haven't seen it by the age of, say 25, you'll hate it. It's told entirely from the kids' perspectives, with all of them mis-understood and pigeon-holed by their peers and teachers, and even though they're completely different, by the end of the film they realise they're all the same when it comes down to it; each kid having his or her specific problems. I'm not sure the archetypes exist quite the same in UK schools as they (presumably) do in the US, but I think every teen can relate to one of them. At a certain age, though, most people tend to forget what it was like to be a schoolkid, and if you only watch it for the time at that point, all you see are a bunch of whiny, snivelling brats with their 'poor me, no-one's ever been through this :( ' attitude.

FBDO is basically the same, only portraying the other extreme of adolesence, when life is as good as it gets, it's there for the taking and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hated it then , hate it now .

Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    It's fairly entertaining if there nothing else on on a Saturday night but it's definitely a product of its time. There's much better 80's teen flicks such as Porky's or Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Yes, a far superior film to The Breakfast Club and dealing with similar subject matter but in a much more authentic way. Amy Heckerling nailed it. That and her later film Clueless are about the only US teen flicks that are still watchable without a sick bag to hand.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I don't like it because Ally Sheedy does that gross thing with her dandruff.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call me shallow, but as a young teenager in the mid 80s the only teen movie to adequately reflect how I felt at the time was Weird Science.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

Judd Nelson in a janitor's cupboard...

I had such a crush on him when I was 14.

It was my era though. But watching those films back now I actually prefer Pretty in Pink. Mainly because of Annie Potts, who I think is just brilliant.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've finished it now. How convenient that everyone pairs up at the end as well. They didnt really come near solving their problems either, did they? And I even kinda felt bad for the nerdy kid thinking that they were all friends now. Must not have had many friends in reality.

Didnt really like any of the characters; they seemed to all be quite set in their ways and think that their way of doing things was the only way; and we never quite got to even understand what the jock boy and the rich girl's problems were. I quite liked the crazy girl; she seemed to be the most genuine of all of them despite all the OTT flopping about for attention.

I really would like to see a 'harder' remake. A british version would probably be much more relatable to me anyway.

Yes, we did.

Jock boy's problem was his pushy dad. He (the boy) also felt guilty after being part of a group who attacked and humiliated someone in the changing rooms.

The rich girl's problem was that everyone thought she was an easy shag, when (if I recall correctly) she was actually a virgin.

I can kind of see where people are coming from with the "schmaltzy" comments but I think it might be the only way something like The Breakfast Club would work. If you made it hard(er)-hitting, then you'd still get the people criticising it for containing typical teen angst but in addition, you'd turn off those who could relate to the broad problems of the original.

I like The Breakfast Club. I prefer it to the type of teen film which focuses on the character's attempts to get laid.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defined a generation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone ended up together...

Poor Brian ended up with no one.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we did.

Jock boy's problem was his pushy dad. He (the boy) also felt guilty after being part of a group who attacked and humiliated someone in the changing rooms.

The rich girl's problem was that everyone thought she was an easy shag, when (if I recall correctly) she was actually a virgin.

I can kind of see where people are coming from with the "schmaltzy" comments but I think it might be the only way something like The Breakfast Club would work. If you made it hard(er)-hitting, then you'd still get the people criticising it for containing typical teen angst but in addition, you'd turn off those who could relate to the broad problems of the original.

I like The Breakfast Club. I prefer it to the type of teen film which focuses on the character's attempts to get laid.
    BIB - Just to elaborate a bit: it wasn't that Andy's Dad was pushy as such, more that he was over-bearing and intimidating. You got the sense that he wanted Andy to be the sort of 'physical' person he (the Dad) was, and that he expected and practically encouraged Andy to pull off the sort of cruel stunt that got him detention, which is why he felt guilty. He only did it to please his Dad, not because he wanted to, but ended up getting caught and punished, which his Dad thought was a bit 'wimpish'.

As for Claire, I don't think her problem was that everyone thought she was an easy shag. That conversation only came up because Allison (Ally Sheedy) claimed to be a nympomaniac. When she admitted it was a lie, this got Claire wound up, leading to John (Judd Nelson) asking Claire how many times she'd done it, which turned out to be zero.

Claire's main problem was the 'burden' of being a spoilt little rich girl, and having to conform to what her parents and peers pretty much demanded of her, such as having to pretend once detention is over that she'd never met - and certainly didn't like - Brian, Allison and John.

The bit at the end where the criminal pairs off with the princess and the athlete with the basket case - when the natural order of things would have had princess & athlete and criminal & basket case together - was quite counter-culture at the time. At least that's what I thought until someone pointed out to me that Andy only fancies Allison after she'd been given a Minnie Mouse makeover that completely removed any visible trace of her weirdness. In other words, to get the guy, you have to change your whole image, which, when you think about it, is quite an un-healthy message to promote.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End up together?

Didn't they all go ahead with their school lives ignoring their connections and confining it all to one afternoon?

Hence the giving of the earring and stuff at the end as a memento.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    At least that's what I thought until someone pointed out to me that Andy only fancies Allison after she'd been given a Minnie Mouse makeover that completely removed any visible trace of her weirdness. In other words, to get the guy, you have to change your whole image, which, when you think about it, is quite an un-healthy message to promote.

Yeah, it's like in Grease, Olivia Newton John's character had to completely change to get John Travolta in the end and act all promiscuous.
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    BIB - Just to elaborate a bit: it wasn't that Andy's Dad was pushy as such, more that he was over-bearing and intimidating. You got the sense that he wanted Andy to be the sort of 'physical' person he (the Dad) was, and that he expected and practically encouraged Andy to pull off the sort of cruel stunt that got him detention, which is why he felt guilty. He only did it to please his Dad, not because he wanted to, but ended up getting caught and punished, which his Dad thought was a bit 'wimpish'.

As for Claire, I don't think her problem was that everyone thought she was an easy shag. That conversation only came up because Allison (Ally Sheedy) claimed to be a nympomaniac. When she admitted it was a lie, this got Claire wound up, leading to John (Judd Nelson) asking Claire how many times she'd done it, which turned out to be zero.

Claire's main problem was the 'burden' of being a spoilt little rich girl, and having to conform to what her parents and peers pretty much demanded of her, such as having to pretend once detention is over that she'd never met - and certainly didn't like - Brian, Allison and John.

The bit at the end where the criminal pairs off with the princess and the athlete with the basket case - when the natural order of things would have had princess & athlete and criminal & basket case together - was quite counter-culture at the time. At least that's what I thought until someone pointed out to me that Andy only fancies Allison after she'd been given a Minnie Mouse makeover that completely removed any visible trace of her weirdness. In other words, to get the guy, you have to change your whole image, which, when you think about it, is quite an un-healthy message to promote.

You don't think you might be over-analysing this a bit? :p
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hated it then , hate it now .

Loved it then, love it now.:D
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    I like the film because it shows the different characters from different backgrounds. They are all quite ignorant towards each other at first. Gradually they all realise that their own life's are not that perfect and they each have their own issues.
    I feel that each person walks out of that detention looking at life in a different way.