have sky made a cok up with red button on sky sports 5?

GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have sky made a mess of the red button regarding sky sports 5 with the continuous message press red to activate it and now cant get rid of it even though the channel is broadcasting?

For me its a total pain and if sky loose the majority of EPL next time I wont be sorry.

SKY now have a technical toy and use it to annoy rather than entertain. Not a very good idea.

Does that red button appear on an SD box as well?

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The quickest way to get rid of it is press pause, wait 2 seconds, then press play, unless it is hard coded into the picture (like the F1 is).
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    Doesn't pressing 'backup' get rid of it?, or set the menu option so it vanishes after ten seconds.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...or set the menu option so it vanishes after ten seconds.

Which menu option is this?
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    RileyM wrote: »
    Which menu option is this?

Options->Customise->On-Screen Icon Timeout
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Doesn't pressing 'backup' get rid of it?

Yes it does. Infuriating though having to do it all the time.
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Yes it does. Infuriating though having to do it all the time.

Then simply set the "On-Screen Icon Timeout " to get rid of it - I've done that on every box I've installed for MANY years.
  • GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just tried that trick and it does not make the slightest bit of difference. Sky have left that there to nag people re the broadband offer and it looks as if they have not got enough to sign up.

very annoying.
    Forum Member
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I just tried that trick and it does not make the slightest bit of difference. Sky have left that there to nag people re the broadband offer and it looks as if they have not got enough to sign up.

very annoying.

And pressing 'backup' doesn't clear it? - it seems strange you are the only person who's complained about it.Personally I don't have (or want) Sports, so I've never seen it.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    Options->Customise->On-Screen Icon Timeout

Yes this does work :)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't pressing 'backup' get rid of it?, or set the menu option so it vanishes after ten seconds.

The timeout period is 30 seconds.
  • TuvokTuvok Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't activated Sky Sports 5 but mistakenly put its number in instead of F1 and found it was on!

Is this a free weekend for it?

Haven't checked my other box.

I don't watch football, hence not interested in it.
  • aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuvok wrote: »
    I haven't activated Sky Sports 5 but mistakenly put its number in instead of F1 and found it was on!

Is this a free weekend for it?

Haven't checked my other box.

I don't watch football, hence not interested in it.

If you already subscribe to Sky Sports, then SS5 will appear automatically. As far as I understand, the SS5 red button is only being used by Sky to guage the take up.
    I also believe there may be a free viewing of SS5 over the weekend to encourage others to subscribe.
  • TuvokTuvok Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an email before? the launch saying that I had to activate it - an since not interested, didn't activate it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    If you already subscribe to Sky Sports, then SS5 will appear automatically. As far as I understand, the SS5 red button is only being used by Sky to guage the take up.
    I also believe there may be a free viewing of SS5 over the weekend to encourage others to subscribe.
    Myself and others have commented that we've not activated SS5 and it just came on anyway.

Apparently during tonights match the presenter said if you want to watch Arsenal on Tuesday then you will need to activate SS5.

So who knows what's going on.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He's just said to carry on future viewing of SSS5 you need to activate it.
    Forum Member
    The timeout period is 30 seconds.

I'm not to 20 seconds :D
  • Michael WalshMichael Walsh Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    He's just said to carry on future viewing of SSS5 you need to activate it.

Activation is not required in Ireland, which customer service has said, because the broadband offer is available to us. I would say there is no need to activate it anywhere in my opinion.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pub version of Sky Sports 5 has the normal Beer Glass Bug on screen.