Options

Channel 4 to broadcast daily Muslim call to prayer

Comments

• Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Enoch Powell put a negative slant on it, as if being of immigrant descent was somehow a bad thing. It isn't.

I wonder what his starting figure was, too. I mean, go back far enough and the majority of people in the 60s were already probably 'descendents of immigrants' from some point in history. Did old Powell ever give a definitive number of generations after which one could consider oneself 'British'?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353250/Channel-4-broadcast-daily-Muslim-prayer-Ramadan-month.html

I suspect this is more of a PR stunt by Channel 4 rather than any meaningful attempt to start investing in religious programming. I don't have a problem with it though, it can broadcast what it wants, and the market place will decide whether to support it - via commercial sales and viewing figures. I don't exact this to be much of a ratings winner though!

It's Channel 4 though. They always were a bit weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's Channel 4 though. They always were a bit weird.

Controversial is the word, its the Daily Mail and most of its readers who are a bit weird.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I wonder what his starting figure was, too.

I believe he said somewhere between 5 and 10 million there's an hour long interview with him and David Frost on youtube you can watch where he explains it if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPze0dRgW8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I'm glad they are doing this. For one reason only though: It irritates the idiots in the daily mail comments page aha! :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite like to be able to get angry about this, but if the only way I'm going to be able to be annoyed by it is to get up at three in the morning, I think I'm probably better off finding something else to worry about.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottie 71 wrote: »
    I am sure I have read that this prayer call will break into programmes five times a day on CH4, first at 3.00am then it's repeated late morning before 10-11am then again after 1-2pm, then early evening 5-6pm, then mid evening at around 9-10pm, then again at 3am

Now that's bizarre. People will be in the middle of Come Dine With Me, or a Million Pound Drop, before suddenly it cuts to man in a beard howling "Allaaaaaaaaah Akbaaaaaaaar" at the television camera repeatedly for a few minutes, after which it cuts back to the original show. What this is supposed to achieve is anyone's guess. I'm inclined to agree with those who are suggesting C4 are doing this to court controversy.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Now that's bizarre. People will be in the middle of Come Dine With Me, or a Million Pound Drop, before suddenly it cuts to man in a beard howling "Allaaaaaaaaah Akbaaaaaaaar" at the television camera repeatedly for a few minutes, after which it cuts back to the original show. What this is supposed to achieve, is anyone's guess. I'm inclined to agree with those who are suggesting C4 are doing this to court controversy.

:eek::D What a mental image!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macers_b wrote: »
    I'm glad they are doing this. For one reason only though: It irritates the idiots in the daily mail comments page aha! :D

Me too:D have you seen some of the comments about this story today and the amount of red arrowed comments on the worst rated section :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    :eek::D What a mental image!!

I can imagine a few million viewers simultaneously reaching for the remote control.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    If they have to prey 5 times a day how does that affect their work.

No worse than a smoker and much less smelly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »
    Me too:D have you seen some of the comments about this story today and the amount of red arrowed comments on the worst rated section :eek:

I have! aha. As usual the comments go something like this "What's happening to Britain?" "I'm never watching Channel 4 again" and "Everyone stop watching Channel 4"
    They really are like little babies
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost want to praise Channel 4 simply because of how much this is winding up people of a certain disposition.
  • Options
    copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allaaaaaaaaaaaah snackbar...
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    :D

I think they had a covered up woman doing the alternative Christmas message a while back.

Just found that thread, 9 pages of posts and it appears I was the only person who actually watched it.

Hey ho, load of fuss about F'all in essence.
    Channel 4 has a 3/4 minute religious opinion piece 5 nights a week '4thought' IIRC.
    Surprised none of the anti-religion types haven't had a tizzy about that.
    Edit: Then again, 4Thought hasn't made the DM or the other red tops.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    If they have to prey 5 times a day how does that affect their work.

Depends on how many chickens and wildlife are knocking about at that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    copthis1 wrote: »
    Allaaaaaaaaaaaah snackbar...

What's that Allah 'bout then?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Controversial is the word, its the Daily Mail and most of its readers who are a bit weird.

'Alternative' is probably the word Channel 4 would use internally, seems like they have to use stronger language externally to get noticed at all these days.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC the claim in that report wasn't that Britain will be an Islamic state but that British people will be a minority.
    Not sure if that's true either - wasn't it that *white* British people will be in a minority?

Which, you know, who cares?

Edit: Not even that. White British may be a minority by 2066, and even the Mail article points out that's dependent on immigration stats remaining stable between now and then. And immigration stats never remain stable.
    James2001 wrote: »
    I almost want to praise Channel 4 simply because of how much this is winding up people of a certain disposition.
    Me too :o Otherwise I don't really care. About as annoying as 4Thought, by which I mean it annoys me when I see it because of work, and the rest of the time I don't think about it at all.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never watched 4thought, just like I haven't watched this, so neither actually affects me, which I imagine is exactly the same for all the people who are outraged about it! The way some people are going on about it, you'd think they're filling their schedules with it and making it impossible to miss.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not even controversial. It's a minority channel for minority interests, which some get worked up about, but for which the vast majority don't give a crap. The fact that it's on at 3 in the morning tells us everything we need to know about how important this is considered to be.

Mainstream it's definitely not.

Daily Mail is read by many many people ~ quite a lot of them on DS, so to call them weird....oh....hang on a minute ;):o
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that's bizarre. People will be in the middle of Come Dine With Me, or a Million Pound Drop, before suddenly it cuts to man in a beard howling "Allaaaaaaaaah Akbaaaaaaaar" at the television camera repeatedly for a few minutes, after which it cuts back to the original show. What this is supposed to achieve is anyone's guess. I'm inclined to agree with those who are suggesting C4 are doing this to court controversy.

The call to prayer will only be shown at 3am.

On the first day only, a trailer of some sort will be shown at 4 points during the day when another call to prayer is approaching.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC the claim in that report wasn't that Britain will be an Islamic state but that British people will be a minority.

People said Enoch Powells prediction that there will be 7 million people of immigrant descent by the year 2000 nonsensical but he was right.

I've always considered it insider knowledge on his part, given he invited most of them over to save the NHS. :D

The Enoch loonies seem to conveniently forget the part where he actively encouraged immigration.
  • Options
    CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "call to prayer" was originally a method used to intimidate and convert the local population.

Makes it even worse that C4 are doing this.

Those who run that channel have no redeeming features. :mad:
  • Options
    CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't even appear in the programme listings as it's such a short item. If it wasn't for the Mail article most people would be blissfully unaware and untroubled about what is broadcasting on Channel 4 at 3am.

I loathe the Mail but why shouldn't people know about this? Those of us who are uneasy about it have every right to be.