Options

How do I sign off JSA?

pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
Forum Member
The last time I signed on was on Friday 29th August and I got the payment on the following Wednesday, the 3rd September. I now want to sign off this Friday (12th September) because I am starting a course on the 22nd September. My questions are...

Will I get the last payment on the 17th (the following Wednesday after signing on, as usual)?

and

How exactly do I sign off? Can I just phone them?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phone your advisor and they will tell you what to do.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sign off until you start your course... On the 22nd or 23rd phone the number on your card it complete the card and return it to the job centre.

Go in as normal this Friday
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would advise you to speak to someone and repeatedly ask them to confirm your claim has been successfully closed.

At all costs do not just hand in a booklet or send it in the post to close down the claim. I've heard that these things then have a habit of 'never getting there' and you end up getting zilch
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I would advise you to speak to someone and repeatedly ask them to confirm your claim has been successfully closed.

At all costs do not just hand in a booklet or send it in the post to close down the claim. I've heard that these things then have a habit of 'never getting there' and you end up getting zilch

That's exactly how I had to sign off 5 or so years ago. You completed the form in the booklet, posted it, and that was that.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    That's exactly how I had to sign off 5 or so years ago. You completed the form in the booklet, posted it, and that was that.

I think you can still do that now. However papers can go missing as can letters. If the booklet is supposedly lost or misplaced, you will be told you have not closed the claim properly and no monies will be paid. Don't give them any excuse!!

If you do need to post in your booklet, make sure you send it by recorded post where your job centre has to sign - that way you at least have proof they received it :)
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    You still need to sign as normal on September 12th otherwise you won't get your benefit for the current two weeks.

You can sign off by phoning 0345 608 8551. I would not do this until the 22nd just in case something happens to prevent you starting the course on that day
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said above, call the 0345 number. You can close your claim up to five working days in advance. Whatever day you phone to close your claim, you will be paid all money you're due up until that day by three working days from that phone call. They close your claim whilst you are on the phone and confirm this to you before you go.

You still need to attend this Friday if you want your claim to continue, and remember you still have to show job search as waiting to start a course is usually not acceptable reason for you not showing job search. If you attend this Friday, so long as they do not advise you of any further appointments other than your next signing, this will be the last time you have to go in as they will simply accept your claim closure by phone on 22/9.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for the DWP and have spoken to many claimants of various benefits, including tax credits, JSA and ESA who have met with so many obstacles, incredulously, when attempting to stop claiming benefits. The relevant departments certainly do not make it easy so I would also advise, consequently, that you wait until you have started the course before signing off, just ensure you give the correct date, as you really don't want anything to which you are not entitled. If there was a problem, and you had signed off, but needed to go back on JSA, I think you have a short period of time, where you would not have to make a new claim, at least with ESA you do.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than creating a new thread I will ask in here.

After just over a month claiming I am due to start work again on Tues 28th October, I am also meant to sign on that day, but obviously will not be.
    Would I have to ring up and sign off on Monday or is that too late?

Considering I am nearly at the end of my two week jobsearch period, do I still need to send in my job application logs?

Will I receive the money for this two week period as normal on Friday? Minus some I guess considering I would not have claimed for Tuesday?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

After just over a month claiming I am due to start work again on Tues 28th October, I am also meant to sign on that day, but obviously will not be.

Considering I am nearly at the end of my two week jobsearch period, do I still need to send in my job application logs?

Will I receive the money for this two week period as normal on Friday? Minus some I guess considering I would not have claimed for Tuesday?

Speak to them and ask would be the best way, No use guessing and someone telling you wrong information
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's just what I would do. Send in your job application logs.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you start work the day you sign you can just ring the number in your work plan book and sign off over the phone.
    You can do this upto five days before you start work
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke with someone in the job centre on Friday who said there was no need to take in job search, I just have to ring the number and cancel my claim.
    Going to do it tomorrow.
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I used to work for the DWP and have spoken to many claimants of various benefits, including tax credits, JSA and ESA who have met with so many obstacles, incredulously, when attempting to stop claiming benefits. The relevant departments certainly do not make it easy so I would also advise, consequently, that you wait until you have started the course before signing off, just ensure you give the correct date, as you really don't want anything to which you are not entitled. If there was a problem, and you had signed off, but needed to go back on JSA, I think you have a short period of time, where you would not have to make a new claim, at least with ESA you do.

aaaaa