Where Can I Buy A Monkey?

Comments

• xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that could technically happen over here too

i mean for one, i could probably apply for, and get, a dangerous wild animals license
    i wouldn't trust me with anything like that :D

as for monkeys, you'd probably need the above

and a lot of space, money & complete preparation for it to utterly hate you once you have it.
    which it might love you, but this could happen too. what would you do with him/her then?
  • Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a young girl all I ever wanted was a monkey as a pet, I pleaded and pleaded. I loved them. I knew I could care for one <in my mind> better than I saw them looked after in any Zoo. I'd let it run riot around the house :D an do a big massive shed up in the garden for it as a play pen! :D I found them gorgeous creatures...

Then I grew up and realised how cruel and selfish of me that would have been...

I also find it sick and appaling how many creatures it is legal to keep in the USA in cages in their back garden as 'pets', just sat there engaged forever. Then they scream and report horror tales when one manages to escape and kill X amount of the neighbourhood. :( Sad.
    Awww :(, kind of a dream-turn-nightmare isn't it?
    I hate it when I hear stories like that.

I'm sure that I wouldn't cage them up, I'd treat them with respect :). After all, they're living creatures too.
    xdow wrote: »
    that could technically happen over here too

i mean for one, i could probably apply for, and get, a dangerous wild animals license
    i wouldn't trust me with anything like that :D

as for monkeys, you'd probably need the above

and a lot of space, money & complete preparation for it to utterly hate you once you have it.
    which it might love you, but this could happen too. what would you do with him/her then?
    I'd do whatever it takes to get a monkey, legally of course ;).

I'd love it like a parent loves a child :).

A monkey isn't just for Christmas, its for life :)!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they difficult to house-train? I mean they do their business everywhere unless you put a nappy on them?

Not sure I could be bothered with all the aggravation of that.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I went to the zoo a little monkey stared at me and started having a wank, put me off them a bit. Although it was kind of flattering.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Last time I went to the zoo a little monkey stared at me and started having a wank, put me off them a bit. Although it was kind of flattering.

Flattering? It means he thought you look like a lady monkey. :D
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's the look I'm going for :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Aren't they difficult to house-train? I mean they do their business everywhere unless you put a nappy on them?

Not sure I could be bothered with all the aggravation of that.
    I'd be up for it, I do anything when I put my mind to it :).
    Happened to me too :o. The staring bit, not the wanking bit.

I'm sure you're gorgeous :)!
    cosmo wrote: »
    Flattering? It means he thought you look like a lady monkey. :D
    :eek:
    Maybe that's the look I'm going for :p:D
    Woah :eek:. I'll use that when I'm on the pull "You look like a lady monkey" :D.

:cool:
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    You can keep monkeys in the UK, a few species were recently taken off the dangerous wild animals license, but all the larger species will need a license. Most responsible sellers will also check on the buyer, that they have a large aviary, with a heated indoor area, even for the small species. They are also usually quite expensive.

About the link posted, theres a lot of scammers that advertise monkeys, that may ask for payment upfront to be sent to their "farm" or "breeding facility" in Nigeria, Cameroon etc.. just as with parrots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    You can keep monkeys in the UK, a few species were recently taken off the dangerous wild animals license, but all the larger species will need a license. Most responsible sellers will also check on the buyer, that they have a large aviary, with a heated indoor area, even for the small species. They are also usually quite expensive.

Thanks for the information.

How expensive do you think they can get up to?
    Forum Member
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information.

How expensive do you think they can get up to?

Theres an example of prices on this site.

http://79.170.40.161/tskaexotics.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71&zenid=2807ee0b210e7e1f1a30d4dcd9c96314

Pygmy Marmosets for example are £1800 per pair, the screening form asks for quite a lot of information, which is good, since otherwise anyone could just buy them.

http://tskaexotics.co.uk/page34.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres an example of prices on this site.

http://79.170.40.161/tskaexotics.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71&zenid=2807ee0b210e7e1f1a30d4dcd9c96314

Pygmy Marmosets for example are £1800 per pair, the screening form asks for quite a lot of information, which is good, since otherwise anyone could just buy them.

http://tskaexotics.co.uk/page34.php

Thanks for the links.

The price are around the amount suspected.

Also, its a good thing about the security checks. Like you said, anyone could buy them and harm them :(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone in this day & age would seriously consider buying & keeping a monkey of any sort. It is cruel to keep them alone and it's doubtful whether a private individual would have appropriate facilities for housing or the necessary knowledge for proper care. Bred in captiviy or not, monkeys, just like lions & tigers, are wild animals and should not be kept in a domestic situation.

On top of that, there's the likelihood that at some stage either the animal itself or a parent would have been taken from the wild & illegally exported from its country of origin. All you'd be doing is funding the people who perpetrate this.

Watch a couple of series of Monkey Business/Monkey Life & then come back & tell me you think it's ok to own monkeys. (Sorry for the rant)
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LooWheeze wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone in this day & age would seriously consider buying & keeping a monkey of any sort. It is cruel to keep them alone and it's doubtful whether a private individual would have appropriate facilities for housing or the necessary knowledge for proper care. Bred in captiviy or not, monkeys, just like lions & tigers, are wild animals and should not be kept in a domestic situation.

On top of that, there's the likelihood that at some stage either the animal itself or a parent would have been taken from the wild & illegally exported from its country of origin. All you'd be doing is funding the people who perpetrate this.

Watch a couple of series of Monkey Business/Monkey Life & then come back & tell me you think it's ok to own monkeys. (Sorry for the rant)

I agree.

I'm pretty gobsmacked people are taking this post seriously tbh, and if the OP is serious, then the last thing posters should do is encourage him/her.
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    I agree.

I'm pretty gobsmacked people are taking this post seriously tbh, and if the OP is serious, then the last thing posters should do is encourage him/her.

Seconded. I'm sincerely hoping that the OP isn't actually serious and this whole thing is a bit of a joke. Sorry for biting if it is but it's a subject rather close to my heart and I just don't find it funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, thanks guys for your opinions.

Its not meant to be a joke, I was actually really serious about it. I always knew the dangers of keeping a monkey but some people have said that they have managed to keep monkeys without any problems.

As you have all made your point, the dangers of keeping monkeys have been severly highlighted.
    Forum Member
    Hey, thanks guys for your opinions.

Its not meant to be a joke, I was actually really serious about it. I always knew the dangers of keeping a monkey but some people have said that they have managed to keep monkeys without any problems.

As you have all made your point, the dangers of keeping monkeys have been severly highlighted.

It's not the dangers to humans I'm concerned about, it's the danger to the mental & physical wellbeing of the creature. I would be happier if this was your main reason for not going ahead with this venture but I am glad you seem to have changed your mind all the same! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the dangers to humans I'm concerned about, it's the danger to the mental & physical wellbeing of the creature. I would be happier if this was your main reason for not going ahead with this venture but I am glad you seem to have changed your mind all the same! :)

Trust me, I don't want to hurt monkeys, I like them.

I have a solution, I'll adopt a monkey. So, it'll be in a zoo/safari/suitable environment.

Do you (or anyone) know a place where these adoptions can take pace and I can see my adopted monkey whenever I like?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I have a solution, I'll adopt a monkey. So, it'll be in a zoo/safari/suitable environment.

Do you (or anyone) know a place where these adoptions can take pace and I can see my adopted monkey whenever I like?

London Zoo. Howletts. Port Lympne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London Zoo. Howletts. Port Lympne.

Great, thanks :)!
    Forum Member

I think most zoos run adoption programmes. You could also consider adopting a monkey in the wild via the various foundation/charity websites. You may not be able to visit whenever you want to but your adoption fee would go towards the conservation of the species in the wild.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if its illegal then I'll drop the idea :(.

Send me £600 and I'll send you a monkey back by return ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most zoos run adoption programmes. You could also consider adopting a monkey in the wild via the various foundation/charity websites. You may not be able to visit whenever you want to but your adoption fee would go towards the conservation of the species in the wild.
    Same thing is happening at London Zoo, and i can visit the adopted monkey. So, I might just choose there.
    Send me £600 and I'll send you a monkey back by return ;)
    OK :D.

:rolleyes:;):p
    Forum Member
    By showing a link to the prices they sell for, and the required information that needs to be presented to be considered by (what seems to be) a reliable website isnt encouraging the OP in my opinion. I agree keeping a monkey probably isnt a good idea (I would never keep them personally) but at the same time Im sure theres some dedicated keepers that can provide exactly the care and space they need, maybe more so than zoo's, so to say that its doubtful whether anyone (except for the authority that is zoo's and private parks I guess) could keep them wouldnt be true in my opinion, or at least I wouldnt believe it unless it was shown to be completly true.

I agree that adopting a monkey is a good idea.
    Forum Member
    Hope you find "someone" nice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By showing a link to the prices they sell for, and the required information that needs to be presented to be considered by (what seems to be) a reliable website isnt encouraging the OP in my opinion. I agree keeping a monkey probably isnt a good idea (I would never keep them personally) but at the same time Im sure theres some dedicated keepers that can provide exactly the care and space they need, maybe more so than zoo's, so to say that its doubtful whether anyone (except for the authority that is zoo's and private parks I guess) could keep them wouldnt be true in my opinion, or at least I wouldnt believe it unless it was shown to be completly true.

I agree that adopting a monkey is a good idea.
    Adopting it is then :).
    Hope you find "someone" nice!

Thanks, I hope so too :)!