When will this period of cold weather end?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,216
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can any DS members tell me when this period of snow, ice and cold weather might end?

Thank you very much indeed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    March 2011.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frost21 wrote: »
    March 2011.

The 18th to be precise.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Well in my area the snow is supposed to stop over the weekend.We've had about 2 feet of snow since the weekend.
    If you go on the Met Office website there's an interesting bit about the combination of weather circumstances that are causing this freak weather.
    Totally sick of it now.:(
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Met Office forecast out to Dec 30th has the cold conditions continuing. There may be a brief period of milder weather in the south, but on the whole temperatures will be below average. Odds on a white Christmas must be shortening!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html
  • tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    April 25 2011.
    You heard it here first folks! :)
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Let me consult my crystal ball.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can any DS members tell me when this period of snow, ice and cold weather might end?

Thank you very much indeed.

It would be of help if we knew whereabouts in the UK you were.

Here in London we're due day time temperatures of 4 degrees at the weekend. The few inches of snow we have should slowly disappear.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    I'm flying out of Dublin next Thursday!!!! arghghg my birthday trip to New York better not get ruined for a bit of early snow :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm flying out of Dublin next Thursday!!!! arghghg my birthday trip to New York better not get ruined for a bit of early snow :(

I'm quite enjoying the weather but it must be utter sh*te if you are planning to fly anywhere, depending on what airport you're using, of course. I hope you get away OK for your birthday! :D

My local airport (Edinburgh) is closed at least until tomorrow morning! :(

Total 'mare if you are wanting to get anywhere. How do they manage in Norway / Sweden / Canada etc??:confused:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Green wrote: »
    The 18th to be precise.

At 14.21....no, 14.22 hours.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do they manage in Norway / Sweden / Canada etc??:confused:

They must buy the proper snow clearing equipment because they need it a lot more days than any airport here would. So that makes it cost effective for them, but not cost effective for us.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    'slightly' less cold air is likely at the weekend...but there will also be a risk of a lot of ice on Fri/Sat as there may be some rain in southern England and Wales falling onto frozen surfaces. However in Scotland and northern England it will fall as snow.

Winds go back to the north on Sunday and ease so there are going to be some incredibly cold nights in places where there is snow cover.

There is no sign of a thaw so anyone who has snow is likely to have to put up with it for at least a week I am afraid
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually heard it isn't going to end ... we're currently entering the next ice age. The movies are all true!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    I actually heard it isn't going to end ... we're currently entering the next ice age. The movies are all true!

Does that mean we have to start hoarding acorns?
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Does that mean we have to start hoarding acorns?

That's a euphemism for something, right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Hawke wrote: »
    That's a euphemism for something, right?

Afraid not.

Just a reference to the squirrel in the Ice Age film that goes through great troubles to try and store his acorns.

*gets coat*
    Forum Member
    Afraid not.

Just a reference to the squirrel in the Ice Age film that goes through great troubles to try and store his acorns.

*gets coat*

Aww :( And there I was, ready to add it to Urban Dictionary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol!

We could make something up? :D
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate snow for this reason! It stops you from doing anything, especially if you need to travel to places. It's also pretty pathetic how crippled the county gets because of it.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Well, they are predicting 4-5 degrees in the South West on Saturday, 3 degrees in the Midlands, 5 in Wales and 2 in Newcastle and Glasgow. So the SW and Wales will lose all their snow, the Midlands will slowly lose it and Glasgow and Newcastle would have a partial thaw which would then freeze solid once the sun goes down. Bad news for Scotland and the NE, but a better outlook for the rest of England and for Wales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest here is it's till christmas.

But not knowing where you are, who knows?
    Forum Member
    lol!

We could make something up? :D

"all alone in the house, she laid out on her Argos faux leather sofa (in beige) and furiously hoarded the acorn."

Ahem. Cold weather. Brrr.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Some time in late March I would have thought.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total 'mare if you are wanting to get anywhere. How do they manage in Norway / Sweden / Canada etc??:confused:

Well, although they are better equipped in other ways - e.g. trains are designed to work in more extreme climates, with back up circuits and systems, and location of certain equipment higher up to avoid snow problems, cars must have snow tyres etc - they do still have problems.

We do seem to think, and in recent years it's the constant rant in the likes of the Daily Mail, that everyone else can cope. Well, I can say that (speaking of Sweden at least) they do have problems, including accidents on the roads and people stranded or stuck at home. Not often, but it can and does happen.

They are better prepared and don't moan because they accept there's a point where you can't fight Mother Nature anymore. Over here, we seem to demand that everything runs as normal, no matter what, no matter the cost.

When we had the bad snow that caused chaos on Eurostar, it was funny that the media didn't point out that many places in Europe didn't have trains breaking down because they weren't running AT ALL.

This week, despite the bad weather, every train operator has been trying to run a near normal service (and many have, except those in the south that don't use overhead lines, or diesel trains). Buses are still running in most places and people are trying to get to work as normal - yet I bet if you told people to fit snow tyres they'd soon kick off and demand the Government pays for it. If people were told to buy shovels and grit/magic ice melt (something I've just ordered online) to clear their own driveways, they'd also moan! But that's largely how people cope abroad - they sort themselves out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the surface charts on metoffice site you can see there's a 'warmer' Atlantic front due to move eastwards across the UK over the weekend, so this should improve the temps a little and stop the snow. However, there are fears that the cold front from Scandinavia and Balkan's may win the fight which will mean the cold and snow will continue, but as we get closer to the weekend it's looking unlikely.

This snow will take a long time to shift though and so while the snow may stop, you can expect ice to be the next big problem, especially if the overnight temps remain close to - or below - freezing. :(