Options

One Show Alex Jones

Comments

• Options
    GreenJadeDragonGreenJadeDragon Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Jo Kim, BBC Pronunciation Unit
    British English dictionaries give aytch as the standard pronunciation for the letter H. However, the pronunciation haytch is also attested as a legitimate variant. We also do not ask broadcasters who naturally say haytch to change their pronunciation but if a broadcaster contacted to ask us, we would tell them that aytch is regarded as the standard pronunciation in British English, people can feel very strongly about this and this pronunciation is less likely to attract audience complaints.

Haytch is a standard pronunciation in Irish English and is increasingly being used by native English-speaking people all across the country, irrespective of geographical provenance or social standing. Polls have shown that the uptake of haytch by younger native speakers is on the rise. Schoolchildren repeatedly being told not to drop Hs may cause them to hyper-correct and insert them where they don't exist.

I have to say, as a Scottish viewer, I've never even noticed Alex's H's. But then haytch is the pronunciation used by most people in my location, although I did have to think about it for a bit as I wasn't entirely sure of my natural pronunciation.

And I don't think that it is a sign of ignorance, certainly I was never informed to either drop or ennounciate my h's in school and that was some time ago for me.

Perhaps it is only in certain southern locations where this is an issue?

Althoough I have to say she is a bit dim and I would prefer Louise Minchin, but she has improved lately mostly by speaking a lot less. The last two days were a bit bland.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, as a Scottish viewer, I've never even noticed Alex's H's. But then haytch is the pronunciation used by most people in my location, although I did have to think about it for a bit as I wasn't entirely sure of my natural pronunciation.

And I don't think that it is a sign of ignorance, certainly I was never informed to either drop or ennounciate my h's in school and that was some time ago for me.

Perhaps it is only in certain southern locations where this is an issue?

Althoough I have to say she is a bit dim and I would prefer Louise Minchin, but she has improved lately mostly by speaking a lot less. The last two days were a bit bland.

I am in Edinburgh and my kids are taught that it's 'Aitch' at school.
    Maybe they are allowing people to get away with it for fear of
    upsetting them.
    When you say NHS, do you add on the h?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I am in Edinburgh and my kids are taught that it's 'Aitch' at school.
    Maybe they are allowing people to get away with it for fear of
    upsetting them.
    When you say NHS, do you add on the h?

Snap, me too! Never considered it to be adding a H given the word starts with it, although I suppose that is just my ignorance then? It is a soft H not a hard H but I suppose that doesn't matter to you.

As to current school teaching practices, I wouldn't know as it would require me to know the exact school of which you are speaking therefore I will bow to your superior knowledge.

All I can say is that this type of pronunciation distinction was never included in my personal education and I certainly wouldn't look down on anyone just because they spoke differently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    She is a lot brighter than Baker, much better without him tonight. No doubt his smug features will appear somewhere this weekend.[/QUOTE

Oh dear absence certainly doesn't make your heart grow fonder does it. Of course MR BAKER will be on Countryfile this weekend with the lovely Julia and should hopefully be on Countyrtracks so it could be a double whammy on Sunday. How will you cope. Might even get the odd newsaper article or two as well.BLISS:D:D:D
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snap, me too! Never considered it to be adding a H given the word starts with it,

That's just it, the word doesn't start with an H does it?
  • Options
    cass115cass115 Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lotuseater wrote: »
    She is a lot brighter than Baker, much better without him tonight. No doubt his smug features will appear somewhere this weekend.[/QUOTE

Oh dear absence certainly doesn't make your heart grow fonder does it. Of course MR BAKER will be on Countryfile this weekend with the lovely Julia and should hopefully be on Countyrtracks so it could be a double whammy on Sunday. How will you cope. Might even get the odd newsaper article or two as well.BLISS:D:D:D

Quite agree!:D with Lotuseater
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    Snap, me too! Never considered it to be adding a H given the word starts with it,

That's just it, the word doesn't start with an H does it?

I wasn't thnking Aitch, i was thinking Health as per your previous question.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a lot brighter than Baker, much better without him tonight. No doubt his smug features will appear somewhere this weekend.

Do you have any hobbies apart from your devotion to Matt Baker? :yawn:

Back to Alex Jones. This thing with haitch instead of aitch is probably linked to English being her second language although it's a tame excuse. "The lights are are on but nobody's at home."
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cass115 wrote: »
    With abit of luck we will see him on Country tracks sunday morning 11am!:D

The reason his shall we say good looking features are not on the One show is because hes doing some work for Comic relief! Helping those who are less fortunate!

No self-promoting, making the gullible amongst us believe he really cares. At least now I know he is on it I will make sure I don't watch any of it. The worst I ever seen on TV EVEN WORSE THAN ANT AND DEC OR CILLA BLACK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any hobbies apart from your devotion to Matt Baker? :yawn:

Back to Alex Jones. This thing with haitch instead of aitch is probably linked to English being her second language although it's a tame excuse. "The lights are are on but nobody's at home."

Still better and more eloquent than dunce features Baker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No self-promoting, making the gullible amongst us believe he really cares. At least now I know he is on it I will make sure I don't watch any of it. The worst I ever seen on TV EVEN WORSE THAN ANT AND DEC OR CILLA BLACK.

Thats a really good idea. reach for the off button, dont watch and then we won't have to put up with any of your c**p.:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats a really good idea. reach for the off button, dont watch and then we won't have to put up with any of your c**p.:):) Matt rules
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Shame she had to cut her hair because of comparisons with Christine Bleakley. The BBC bosses should just let her have long hair.
  • Options
    crazy_moo 123crazy_moo 123 Posts: 4,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow you must really love matt :eek: BTW doing work for chairty is not self promotion.You are talking even more c**p then you usually do :D and as Louseater said if you do not like matt then they is a off button to use :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like a custard pie in your face now, or in five seconds' time? :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow you must really love matt :eek: BTW doing work for chairty is not self promotion.You are talking even more c**p then you usually do :D and as Louseater said if you do not like matt then they is a off button to use :D

You think that this guy really cares you must be totally deluded. The reason these so called celebrities come on charity shows is to promote themselves aren't I good. This guy comes across as more self-obsessed than most. I am not talking crap this guy is really poor, what has he ever done that is good.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon the BBC gave her the job on Let's Dance to spite Christine but it just shows them and Alex up, and makes everyone realise how much better a presenter Christine is.
  • Options
    AstronaughtyAstronaughty Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I reckon the BBC gave her the job on Let's Dance to spite Christine but it just shows them and Alex up, and makes everyone realise how much better a presenter Christine is.

Any fool can be a presenter and the Blokely proved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think that this guy really cares you must be totally deluded. The reason these so called celebrities come on charity shows is to promote themselves aren't I good. This guy comes across as more self-obsessed than most. I am not talking crap this guy is really poor, what has he ever done that is good.

Is it celebs that you have a problem with or just Matt in particular?
  • Options
    ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, Ian, Ian, Adria............errrrr Ian. It is really theraputic to get it all out, don't hold back.

i really feel for you, my poor darling, so much pent up emotion and frustration.

Matt must really have hurt you badly

Feel the love:)

Or better still, tune into the One Show on Monday, relax and just bask in the good vibes coming from the TV.

go on....you know it makes sense:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Ian, Ian, Adria............errrrr Ian. It is really theraputic to get it all out, don't hold back.
    i really feel for you, my poor darling, so much pent up emotion and frustration.
    Matt must really have hurt you badly
    Feel the love:)
    Or better still, tune into the One Show on Monday, relax and just bask in the good vibes coming from the TV.
    go on....you know it makes sense:D

I wouldn't worry, they will find someone else to start on soon. Already Christine Bleakley is being talked of as a great presenter when only a few months ago she was getting all the bile addressed at Alex Jones at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt doesn't look a natural for live tv imo, think he is excellent on countryfile though.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

The BBC had always intended to build up Christine and she was earmarked as ''the face of the Olympics'' whatever that means. It was also one of the reasons her then-agent (she later sacked him) advised her not to move to ITV.I think we can all draw our own conclusions about the wisdom of her decision to switch sofas.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I prefer Alex to Christine. She comes across as more natural and warm as a person.

Love the accent too! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lotuseater wrote: »
    Is it celebs that you have a problem with or just Matt in particular?

I don't like the current culture and shows like the contrived dancing show make it worse. Baker is the most annoying at the moment as he is on so much with so few qualities other than looks and physique.