Options

Hint at a future story?

MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
Forum Member
Clara was told that she'd visited the vault at the Tower before - but she had no memory of it.

Sounds to me like she's going to go there in a future episode BUT it will be set in "the recent past" relative to the anniversary spesh (and will involve Kate).

It's worth noting that her NOT recalling that visit was highlighted/counterpointed by her saying that she COULD recall at least some events from "the other Clara's" lives.

My guess - it will be connected to the next regen and the workaround for the regeneration limit. (Clara's interaction with the Doctor's timeline always struck me as a set-up for that anyway).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she was there previously and her memory of it was wiped.. At least that what they where implying. Not that it was the future Clara, but that it was past Clara who had her mind wipe by that thingy that made the guard think everyday was his first day.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this myself but someone pointed out that the more likely answer is that she has been to the Black Archive before but then had her memory wiped.

If the people who work there on a regular basis get their memory wiped daily then anyone (apart from the High ups such as Kate) who visits would probably be wiped as well.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the black archive had been TARDIS proofed & the Doctor wasn't allowed in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt that Moffat would arbitrarily decide to give passing mention to some "unseen adventure" like that in the middle of the 50th anniversary episode and one story away from a (more significant than usual) regeneration.

For the "unseen adventure" idea to work, you'd also have to explain why Clara would have been allowed - or taken - into a top-secret base from which the Doctor is effectively banned. Then you'd have to explain why she was there without him - otherwise you have to say that the Doctor's memory of that visit was also erased since he had never been there before (despite knowing it existed) - and that would hardly be a minor event that could be left to the viewer to guess had happened.

I think this is one case where we can reasonably say that the comment wasn't there for the viewer to make up their own backstory.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it supposed to be one of Clara's other versions?

I assumed they'd met one of the Clara's scattered throughout time and presumed it was the same girl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're overthinking it.. It was just to introduce in the memory wipe they used as a plot device at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

I assumed they'd met one of the Clara's scattered throughout time and presumed it was the same girl.

When?

It would need to be fairly recent for Kate to recognise her and we know that Clara was never a "companion" to any earlier Doctor so we can reasonably say that it would be "Clara-prime" that had been there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cel1084 wrote: »
    You're overthinking it.. It was just to introduce in the memory wipe they used as a plot device at the end.

You're saying that Moffat added a totally unnecessary and potentially ambiguous line about some "missing adventure" for two characters - one that we've only met once and another that only became a companion a few episodes ago - and all in the middle of the 50th anniversary story?

There have been literally dozens of "memory wipes" in DW stories - even since 2005. it's not something that has ever needed to be tippy-toed around with "subtle" hints like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PS - I assume we all know the tag-line for the Christmas episode and understand the connection with people forgetting things.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

But the photo showed her and Kate so it must be recent.