An Adventure in Space and Time or The Day of The Doctor, which did you prefer?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
Now that the 50th anniversary has passed and both commerative pieces have aired I am wondering what the general consensus is (on these boards) regarding which is the better of the two.

I have noticed several posters stating that they preferred the former and I tend to agree that it was the better of the two. To say that TDOTD was a disappointment would be overly harsh but I didn't feel it was as epic as it could have been either. It had it's good points and it had it's bad points, for the most part it was pretty good but I still preferred the biopic. To me it was a much more heartfelt tribute to the golden anniversary of the show, it was the most touching piece of television I'd watched in a long time, let alone anything Who related.

Maybe you preferred The Night of The Doctor minisode, or The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, or Big Finish's The Light at the End, but I'm focusing on the two major anniversary pieces here.

Which did you think was the better of the two and why? Maybe you don't have a preference either way?

Which did you like best? 38 votes

The Day of The Doctor
13% 5 votes
An Adventure in Space and Time
21% 8 votes
I liked The Day of the Doctor, but I preferred An Adventure in Space and Time
18% 7 votes
I liked An Adventure in Space and Time, but I preferred The Day of The Doctor
18% 7 votes
I liked both equally
28% 11 votes
I wasn't keen on either
0% 0 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all hit different emotional chords and for that reason each one was better than the others for certain reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fiveish Doctors Reboot was top notch.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Adventure in Space and Time. And I love Moffat and can't stand Gatiss' Who episodes. It's been a strange 50th...
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion of 'Adventure' is that was it an insult to the memory of William Hartnell. I thought some of it was so appallingly hackneyed as to be offensive. It was a fan-wank for sure and under some circumstances that could be okay, but William Hartnell deserves an accurate representation of himself, not to have his whole life misrepresented and sublimated into some sort of hagiography for Doctor Who. Horrible, shallow drama, with Gatiss' trademark heavy hand for characterization.

I honestly dread the day Gattiss becomes showrunner. I think I'll probably stop watching - not out of some misguided form of protest but simply because the show will no longer be of a quality I enjoy watching.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cel1084 wrote: »

This was probably my favourite piece to come out of the anniversary too.

Although, i also found both 'minisodes' to be strong.
  • WeAreParkLaneWeAreParkLane Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Cel1084 wrote: »

Hahaha, indeed.... Such a shock about Barrowman ;)
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 50th special itself was the crowning glory of an entirely perfect celebration.

Beginning with The Night of the Doctor a week ago (I know it was released early because of an imminent leak but it lost none of its impact on me as I've been avoiding spoilers for months). Closure for Eight. ...Sweet. :)

The Greatest Monsters and Villains through the week served as a Whovian advent calendar. Alright, the bloke introducing them seemed a bit of a nob at first, but he grew on me, he seemed to know his Davros from his elbow and he gave us some of the best episodes of the last eight years so fair play to him. ...Anticipation building. :)

An Adventure in Space and Time was a beautiful tribute to the creators and William Hartnell. Superbly written and brilliantly realised by everyone involved. Eleven's moving cameo at the end brought home just how huge the character and his universe became and the enormity of what they created in that crappy little studio fifty years ago. ...Two days to go and I'm practically wetting my pants with excitement. :eek:

The longest Saturday in living memory.

The Day of The Doctor was every bit the thrill ride I expected and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Plenty of nice little touches (Coal Hill School, a sonic p***ing contest and a very long scarf) and three big gasps, "No Sir.......All 13!", the biggest for me, but The Curator (yes, I'm capitalising it) and The War Doctor's regeneration were also thrilling......yeah, alright, old misery-guts didn't put in the appearance I'd hoped for but we got the point. Great story, great acting from the whole cast, a brilliant setup for the new Doctor and John blinkin' Hurt! The Doctor is officially A-List. Very satisfied. :)

The afterparty. ...That happened.

Then, to top it all off, the hilarious and wonderful Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. Above and beyond the call of duty from Peter Davison (someone snap him up to write comedy, he's brilliant at it). McCoy, Baker, McGann, Barrowman, Moffat, Russell "The" Davies all playing parodies of themselves to perfection and more tributes than I ever thought possible.

Thank you to everyone involved with the whole thing......even Zoe Ball and One Direction (who may have clocked up yet another world record for Doctor Who, by giving us the most unprofessional five minutes of live television of all time.) I tip my hat to you all. :)