GCSEs are p*** easy

Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
Forum Member
Seriously, I just can't understand how one could fail these exams. Especially when year by year they get easier. Just my opinion after looking at a lot of the past papers (especially the English papers).

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What grades did you get today?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be mean. Be pleased for your family, or pissed off with the Exam Board for unfairly marking students down.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I failed them... I just passed one I ..simply had my mind my on other things
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    They are fairly easy, from an adult's perspective.
    Bear in mind though that we are looking back through the lens of many years' experience, improved knowledge, and further education.
    GCSEs didn't feel very easy to me at the time, though looking back they were more-or-less general knowledge quizzes.

You and I sat them around the same time I guess, OP? 1997/98
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    I failed them... I just paseed one II..simply had my mind my on other things

I'm guessing it wasn't English.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    They are designed for a wide range of abilities therefore there are easy questions and hard questions just like 'who wants to be a millionaire'
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my students got Ds despite the most determined, well-informed effort I've ever made. *headdesk* And honestly, I wouldn't say the GCSE is easy, but it shouldn't be so easy for them to fail. I'm sitting here feeling completely despondent because most of my students are astonishingly lazy and it's pissing me off that I, the teacher, am probably sitting here feeling several orders of magnitude worse about their results than they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it wasn't English.

I got a D in English

But I Just put all C's on my CV
  • Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    What grades did you get today?

None, I took my exams years ago. But I have seen a lot of the past exam papers of recent years, esp the main subjects and they're laughable compared to the papers I had taken as a teen.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,960
    Forum Member
    It's that time of year again, isn't it? No one can just congratulate teens on their hard work. There are always those people who have to say "Oh, GCSEs/A Levels are easy these days...In my day" Blah blah blah.

Heaven forbid we congratulate people on their hard work. People can be so dismissive :(

Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Bear in mind though that we are looking back through the lens of many years' experience, improved knowledge, and further education.
    GCSEs didn't feel very easy to me at the time, though looking back they were more-or-less general knowledge quizzes.

This is true.
  • Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Yeah, late 90s. Plus we had none of this BTEC nonsense.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    These exams have been getting 'easier' for so many years (I remember the same old tut when I was 13/14 in the 1980s when they still had the O level) that I'm surprised they don't give them away with Rice Krispies these days.

Or maybe it's just that an exam aimed at 16 year olds is not challenging to someone with 20 years more life experience.

I saw a higher-level Maths GCSE paper recently and, although I recognised all the topics, even as a Maths graduate I had to dig deep to answer some of the questions on there (mostly a memory problem as it's been a while since I did any calculus in the real world). I certainly don't remember integration being a GCSE subject in 1990.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most students have worked their socks off for months. Please don't say it was easy in our day. Grades go up and down.

Give them Their Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I possibly do well in GCSES when all i cared about at 16 was getting laid and getting high
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    Yeah, late 90s. Plus we had none of this BTEC nonsense.

I took my GCSEs in 2000. What is wrong with a BTEC? I have a BTEC in Foundation Art & Design which is required if you wish to go further in that area. Of course I don't have a degree. I never went to Uni. After my one year at Art College I decided I wanted to work rather than study. Now I'm an Art Editor... Not bad for someone with a BTEC

I find it very sad that we can't congratulate kids for their hard work. Do you remember the worry and stress at the time, when you took your exams? That dread, waiting for results to arrive and then those talks which made GCSEs sound like the be all and end all of your life... Until A-Levels then you had the same talk again.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    They are designed for a wide range of abilities therefore there are easy questions and hard questions just like 'who wants to be a millionaire'

What would be the point in that?
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    I find it very sad that we can't congratulate kids for their hard work. Do you remember the worry and stress at the time, when you took your exams? That dread, waiting for results to arrive and then those talks which made GCSEs sound like the be all and end all of your life... Until A-Levels then you had the same talk again.

As I say, it has been going on for generations... the first thing my dad muttered when I told him my results, 25 years ago was that the tests were easier than in his day. Slightly cruel I thought.

It's wrong and I despise people who do it. Even if they are easier (and I don't believe that to be the case), it's unforgivable to belittle the achievements of young people just leaving school.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish people wouldn't dismiss student's hard work to achieve their results. I downloaded the Maths paper and I only have vague recollection of some of the stuff.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousin got 5 Bs and 3 Cs today which he's pleased with
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

Fair play to him. :)
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that most of the people that say exams are easier these days are the ones that performed average at best because 'they were harder when I did them'. Regardless of whether they are easier/harder, if there is an issue with the questions set then that needs to be taken up with the exam board. The students can only answer to what is being asked of them.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    I am sure that if I tried most of the gcses I could get an A, but that is because I am an old fart with a life time of experience, that doesn't mean that I as a 16 year old would find them easy.

When people say that they are easy they should think back to when they were 16.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

My daughter got 7 B's and 2 C's today.

She had to work really hard for those grades as she didn't do very well in her sats at the end of primary school.

I disagree with the OP, I think the exams now are a lot harder than they were a few years back.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only did my GCSEs 3 years ago in 2012 so the memory of how frustrating and annoying it was to constantly see people assert that they're piss-easy and that they were so much harder back in the olden days is still quite fresh.
    It felt like they were belittling the hard work I and many of my peers were putting in to do well and get good grades.

Yes, the content of the exams isn't that complicated, but you have to remember that the people sitting these exams are much younger than you are and they aren't just sitting one exam; they're sitting probably over 20 papers in around 10 subjects all at the same time.

Also, you have to remember that everyone is different. I managed to get 9 A*'s and 2 A's without much effort at all, whilst some work every day for hours on end just to get C's and B's.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the OP is on the normal wind up we get around here every year.

My favourite is 'well what's the point of these if everyone passes them?!' which of course shows their ignorance since everything down to and including a G is a pass but anything below a C is of little use.

Frankly you'd hope adults would look at GCSE papers and think they weren't too bad - they're designed to be taken by children!