New Year's Resolutions.

Canard's BackCanard's Back Posts: 1,265
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We were talking about them at work yesterday and most of my colleagues said they can't be arsed about them any more.

It made me wonder if they are a dying tradition these days.

(Just for the record - I haven't made any myself for at least a decade or more now.. but was thinking about trying to adhere to some this coming year this morning over a bacon-buttie and a cuppa).

Comments

• Canard's BackCanard's Back Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - I've decided it's time to give up the ciggies....

Anybody got any advice?

If you gave up the dreaded habit, how did you adhere to it?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My NYR is "Never. EVER. Try to dance like MC Hammer again".
    Second on the list is "don't, no matter HOW much fun it was this year, go round to your friends' house to play dancing games on the Wii. It's like drugs. It's ACE at the time, but you WILL suffer for it later".

My serious one is "try to be less of a dick". It's the same every year. I seriously think it's the only one that matters.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member

Anybody got any advice?

Firstly I never said that I was giving up. I decided to see how long I could go without having one. I managed 2 years. :D:o
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing weight. Shifted almost 7 stone earlier in the year and once the colder weather came along I found it a struggle not to sit by the fire and stuff my face. Then Christmas was on the horizon and that gave me another excuse to delay getting back into it. I've put on over a stone again and am going to lose that plus another 4 or 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Losing weight. Shifted almost 7 stone earlier in the year and once the colder weather came along I found it a struggle not to sit by the fire and stuff my face. Then Christmas was on the horizon and that gave me another excuse to delay getting back into it. I've put on over a stone again and am going to lose that plus another 4 or 5.

You lost almost seven stone, that is amazing. Well done. May I ask how you did it? I know it's a case of eat less, move more but how did you get motivated and what did you find hardest and easiest?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anybody got any advice?

I must admit, I love smoking, and I'm not planning to quite anytime soon. But I did once give up for a couple of months, and this is how-

I was really drunk one night. A friend of mine HAD decided to give up, and talked me into doing it at the same time, so we could compete against each other, and the first one to have a cigarette would owe the other a tenner. I rose to the challenge. Which was dumb, because even then I had no intention of giving up.

But once it was a competition, I was AWESOME at it. I was as good as my word. And I didn't smoke again until I'd seen him do it himself. I got arsey, I got cravings, EVERYTHING. But I wasn't going to let some guy who'd just convinced me to give up smoking as a drunken bet WIN. And seeing him smoke was just GREAT. I enjoyed that cig more than I'd ever enjoyed one in my life.

Mind you, the bastard never gave me that tenner.
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2. the first is to fight my agoraphobia & the second to lose weight both for my daughters wedding in October.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You lost almost seven stone, that is amazing. Well done. May I ask how you did it? I know it's a case of eat less, move more but how did you get motivated and what did you find hardest and easiest?

Thanks. :)

Something just clicked to make me finally want to do something about it. Clearly I was (and still am) rather a big unit and I just reached a point where I'd had enough and got that inititial motivation. Then I found out that 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat and discovered calorie calculators etc. I can be a bit of a numbers geek and playing around with different calorie amounts on the calculators was somewhat interesting to me, seeing how much I'd need to eat to lose x amount of lbs in a week/month etc.

Started off going very low on the calories at just 1200, keeping that up for a couple of months whilst doing a spot of cardio-vascular exercise here and there. During that time, I was reading a bodybuilding forum (bodybuilding.com) that has a section on it for people who want to lose fat, be it more muscular types who want to better show off what they've got or people with a higher body fat %. Many of the recomendations for exercise and diet that were posted by people in there are the same for all body types.

I then increased the calories to 2000 (still lower than most were saying where I should be at considering what my weight was), started eating a pseudo-bodybuilders diet with plenty of protein in it, began weight training and kept going with some cardio exercise.

The diet wasn't too bad as it involved eating little and often, (6-7 times a day typically) and I believe that certainly helped as it never seemed like a long time before eating again. Protein is known to fill you up too which was a bonus. To try and stay motivated, I joined up to a few challenges on that forum where people would post weekly weigh-ins to track their progress, share tips and encourage each other. Never been to a weightwatchers or slimming world meeting, but I'd imagine that posting on those threads gave me a similar experience to what they would.

There's also a thread in the advice section here on digi spy called "weight loss thread 2010" that I was active in for a good while. If nobody starts a new one for 2011 on here, I'll be starting it myself. Being part of things like that made me feel aswerable to people I suppose, even if those people weren't people I'd actually physically met and were "just" the posts of others in internet-land.

Wow, this is turning into a long post so I'll keep the hardest thing brief....getting back into after missing a day or two of scheduled exercise if plans change or I unexpectadly needed to go somewhere. It got very tempting to stay lazy as one day soon turns into two and then into three etc. It's what got me in the end for this year.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to be attempting to start a rumour about a 'celebrity' and see if I can get it reported in the mainstream media.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My New Year's Resolution is 1024x768 :p
  • Canard's BackCanard's Back Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly I never said that I was giving up. I decided to see how long I could go without having one. I managed 2 years. :D:o

Wow - What about the will-power, being influenced by other smokers.... Ohhhh hang on - you lasted 2 years, which implies you still smoke...

stoatie wrote: »
    I must admit, I love smoking, and I'm not planning to quite anytime soon. But I did once give up for a couple of months, and this is how-

I was really drunk one night. A friend of mine HAD decided to give up, and talked me into doing it at the same time, so we could compete against each other, and the first one to have a cigarette would owe the other a tenner. I rose to the challenge. Which was dumb, because even then I had no intention of giving up.

But once it was a competition, I was AWESOME at it. I was as good as my word. And I didn't smoke again until I'd seen him do it himself. I got arsey, I got cravings, EVERYTHING. But I wasn't going to let some guy who'd just convinced me to give up smoking as a drunken bet WIN. And seeing him smoke was just GREAT. I enjoyed that cig more than I'd ever enjoyed one in my life.

Mind you, the bastard never gave me that tenner.

LOL - A tenner would buy you a day and a halves worth of ciggies today...

I wonder if smoking is just a "headology" thing?

We ALL know it's bad, but that's why we (who do) do it!!
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I have 2. the first is to fight my agoraphobia & the second to lose weight both for my daughters wedding in October.

I know what agoraphobia is like. Good luck with both of your goals :)
  • casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    I plan to give up any form of gambling & pay off & get rid of my credit cards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Not making one, don't see the point. If there's something that i'm going to do or should do, why should i leave it until a specific date at the end of the calendar to start doing it? It just all seems a bit pointless to me, like New Years Eve itself.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    lose weight, stop smoking and find myself a nice man
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It;s not really a resolution but by the end of 2011 I want:
    the bathroom revamped
    my son's bedroom decorated
    the dining room decorated

then I will be in a position to have a new kitchen in the January Sales 2012.:D

I would also like to lose weight but I don't think I've got the willpower.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up smoking and alcohol 2 yrs ago now. This year I want to lose about 6 stone and get fit. Its going to be tough.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    start drinking
    get laid
    get a job where I can wear a hard hat shaped like a stetson
    not have a meltdown
    go on holiday again
    get a hot tub full of lesbians
    I was also thinking of learning massage but I'm not all that fond of touching people. :confused:
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    1280x800 lolololol.

NY resolutions = pointless = never made one in my life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop making an utter arse of myself when I'm drunk (take note DS posters, once it's on the internet it never EVER dies). Lose about 13 stone of useless fat in the shape of a soon to be ex husband. That is all.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anybody got any advice?

I haven't had a cigarette since last January and i have done it with a combination of patches and the inhalater!, which i got on prescription from the smoking clinic at my GP's... I had smoked since i was 16 and i am now 63, so i am not saying it lightly, it was easier than i thought it would be!, i had known in my mind that it was time for me to do it and it did take a few months of me 'thinking' about it but i got there in the ebd.... good luck,,,,:)
  • N20JetCarN20JetCar Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year I made some god awful decisions that caused a BIG dose of karma to bite me on the arse - and has continued to do so for the past seven months.

Everything bad that has happened to me this year is entirely of my own doing so next year I'm going to make the resolution of following my head and not my heart...
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    I want to lose weight - I'm not really big - carry my weight well - was a size 8-10 year and half a go.....but now im a snug 14 .... pure laziness has got the better of me (though I have been to the docs about unusually low energy levels) - bit of a fitness freak me ...I'm a fitness instructor and play alot of sport - but these past few months have just lost me completely - eating crap and no exercise (except for my weekly 2 nights team sport)...

I really want to lose wieght so I look good to everyone new I have met this year - want to be as confident and comfortable as I was few years ago - never felt so great in all my life....and I want my new colleagues to see that side of me...

it's gonna be tough - I have no motivation whatsoever at the moment - always got sore head and feel ultra sluggish - I don't know how I'm goin to do it.... was thinking of starting my own blog and giving up chocolate for the entire year - give me a bit of motivation to keep it going...

I know if I get to February I'll feel good about making one month - that will spur me on for the next and the next.... it's just getting started is the hard part!!

Sorry - off on a ramble there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »

Brilliant work! I lost 5 stone this year, also a bit from the year before. However the last few months I've put back on a stone. So I am going to shift that stone and a bit more.

Also I want to give up my part time smoking... I smoke at work but don't smoke at home. It's weird isn't it? I dont need them, but it's to get out of the office for 5 minutes with no one moaning, asking questions etc.

I'm also wanting to rent and move out, and tell my folks the horrible 'you're son is seeing a man!!' :eek: