Fake Abode Flaash Player Update - Warning!

2»

Comments

• oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    II've just removed about half a dozen programmes this "update" installed and what a pain in the arse it is.:/QUOTE]

Any hint of what you removed please?
    Regards
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your PC will freeze repeatedly and be generally un-useable . . .
    Not exactly unusual behaviour for Adobe Crash Player ... buggy, unstable crapware that needs to be eliminated!
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Not exactly unusual behaviour for Adobe Crash Player ... buggy, unstable crapware that needs to be eliminated!

I dislike Adobe products in general for these reasons. From Photoshop, to Reader, all they seem to do is slow down my laptop and freeze/glitch a lot.

How has such a rubbishy bunch of software become "the" stuff to use for most of us? :(
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike Adobe products in general for these reasons. From Photoshop, to Reader, all they seem to do is slow down my laptop and freeze/glitch a lot.

How has such a rubbishy bunch of software become "the" stuff to use for most of us? :(

I've never had problems with either of those causing any of my machines to slow down, whether they're actively open or not, and I haven't had issues with Pshop freezing/glitching since trying to work on an A1 poster at 300dpi on 128mb of memory in 1998! :D (... and even that was fixed by upgrading my memory to a whopping 196mb...)

Think there might be more at play, there...
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    But doesn't MSE & Malwarebytes detect different kinds of threats?

I run MSE at the moment & I'm considering buying Malwarebytes for real time malware protection. Do these 2 programs really cause a conflict?
    Malwarebytes can run at same time as AV software as they do not conflict. I have Malwarebytes pro running at same time as Avast AV (used to use MSE with Malwarebytes pro also but changed) and have had no problems what so ever.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malwarebytes can run at same time as AV software as they do not conflict. I have Malwarebytes pro running at same time as Avast AV (used to use MSE with Malwarebytes pro also but changed) and have had no problems what so ever.
    Thanks for that. Will give it a try.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is pretty common.

And quite effective.

Indeed & can catch anyone out, as happened to me the other day,. I clicked the link & ended up installing Delta Toolbar & search engine which i did not want, knew something was wrong when i was getting pop up adds even though i have add & pop blocker, ended up uninstalling everything that was loaded by the link manually.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    There's also a Java (Runtime Environment) one about.

Same MO as the Flash one - a browser pop-up saying that your need to upgrade your Flash Player or Java, complete with graphics/logos pinched from the genuine product. Small print tells you that the download contains the genuine thing (which it does) but also includes other bits of software (the spyware/malware or whatever).
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After encountering a prob on my pc I uninstalled flash, and then re-installed manually from their web site. All seems fine but I Still get a task bar pop up telling me to upgrade to latest, why? I have just downloaded the latest version manually.

Further, when using said pop up if you press the close button on the first screen it freezes.
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    After encountering a prob on my pc I uninstalled flash, and then re-installed manually from their web site. All seems fine but I Still get a task bar pop up telling me to upgrade to latest, why? I have just downloaded the latest version manually.

Further, when using said pop up if you press the close button on the first screen it freezes.

Assuming the taskbar balloon is from the *real* Adobe Flash (and not some sort of imposter)....

Go into Add/Remove Programs. Here (Windows 7) it comes up as "Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX" and "... Plugin". Uninstall both of them.

Reboot. Go to Adobe site (http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ - nowhere else but there) and reinstall (don't forget to uncheck that bloody Chrome and Toolbar option - disgraceful of Adobe to do this). If/when it prompts "Open" or "Save" for the download, do "Save", put it on your desktop, close all browsers, and then run the downloaded installer.

Reboot.

Test on site like Youtube.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    There's also a Java (Runtime Environment) one about.
    There are IE, Firefox and Windows ones about too.

An a majority simply offer to 'fix your PC for good'. Often with fatal results.
    And there is no guarantee that a decent AV like Avira etc will catch them for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming the taskbar balloon is from the *real* Adobe Flash (and not some sort of imposter)....

Go into Add/Remove Programs. Here (Windows 7) it comes up as "Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX" and "... Plugin". Uninstall both of them.

Reboot. Go to Adobe site (http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ - nowhere else but there) and reinstall (don't forget to uncheck that bloody Chrome and Toolbar option - disgraceful of Adobe to do this). If/when it prompts "Open" or "Save" for the download, do "Save", put it on your desktop, close all browsers, and then run the downloaded installer.

Reboot.

That's what I have already done, but Still getting the upgrade pop up option.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope I dont get it in my Abode.
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Probably by using an ad-blocker on your browsers.

i had adblocker from crome and they are still there..
    they look real..but i never click.... :rolleyes:
    as i know it get updated in the background
    this is how its set on my pc.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had any problems with updates because I've always chose the notify me to install updates since visiting Adobe's flash site for the first download of flash since I got this laptop last year. I don't understand how this pop up can make it onto anyone's computer/laptop unless they've got a fake version of flash from an imitation Adobe site. Maybe that's what the first poster is saying perhaps.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reboot.

Unless Adobe aren't selling enough of their products to get the financial resources to help improve flash perhaps. If they're making an absolute mint, then I agree with you.
    Forum Member

Are you sure the update balloon is actually from Adobe Flash, and not something else, either legit (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader, which might look similar) or not? Look down Add/Remove Programs - are there any other entries relating to "Flash"?

You could try removing Flash again and using the PC without for a while, and seeing if the nag still comes up.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Unless Adobe aren't selling enough of their products to get the financial resources to help improve flash perhaps. If they're making an absolute mint, then I agree with you.

Adobe revenue 2012 = $4.4 billion.

Bundled "Toolbars" are something I expect to see with free or shareware software from smallish concerns, not from Adobe. It's even opted-in by default. Anyhow, hopefully HTML 5 will eventually get rid of the need for it.
    Forum Member

You mention "pop up". We are talking a taskbar icon balloon here (as you said), yes, and not a *browser* pop up? These are completely different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Task bar balloon.
    I have been trying to trace a problem for a while and thought it might b Adobe, but at the moment think its related to kaspersky or maybe both.

At the moment re Adobe I am getting the task bar update popup even tho I fully removed it and reinstalled direct from the Adobe site, so why does it Still ask to update?
    Forum Member
    Try Adobe's official uninstall tool:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

This might clean up in a better way than Windows uninstall. Follow the instructions - they are not just for running the tool.

Possibly some of its registry entries have got screwed, making it constantly think it needs to update.

[If this doesn't work, run the tool again, but then also check the Registry for Flash-related stuff under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\
    and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\

and delete them. (I have keys called FlashPlayer and FlashPlayerActiveX, for instance)

Check the whole folder:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\

is gone.]

PS This is all for Windows 7 32-bit.

Maybe see also:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4695779
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/309616-adobe-flash-player-keeps-asking-to-updatedownload/

for more ideas.