Planning a break to Yorkshire later this year - any advice?

13»

Comments

• lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son and his partner were in Yorkshire two weeks ago for the weekend.
    They stayed in Kilburn which is a small and very pretty village not to far from Pickering.
    The farm they stayed at was excellent.
    It cost £60.00 per double room per night with a really great breakfast.
    If you are interested the address is below.
    Mrs Pauline Thompson
    Village Farm
    Kilburn York
    YO61 4AG
    01347 868562.

There is also a pub there called The Forresters Arms which they did try to get into but it was fully booked and they recommended Village Farm.

Beautiful area he says.

I have been to Haworth with it's cobbled street and I went into the parsonage which was very interesting especially if you like the Bronte sisters which I do.
    A must if you are that way.
    Also Whitby with the Abbey, black jet and goths. and the church yard which faces the sea and the weather has fetched the engraving from some of the grave stones and they are covered in green mould but look just right.

Yorkshire is a wonderful county with many various things to do and see.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wanted to go to Yorkshire for a long time and have decided to make it happen before I might not be able to do it.

Speaking as a proud Mancunian, one of my favourite things about living in Manchester is having Yorkshire on my doorstep. It is a place with a colossal amount of win.

As has been mentioned, as a whole it's too vast to explore in one go. My personal favourite region, for places and terrain, is West Yorkshire.

My recommendations:

Ilkley (West Yorkshire) - very attractive spa town
    Huddersfield (West Yorkshire) - very pleasant and impressive town
    Harrogate (North Yorkshire) - 36 bus goes regularly to and from Leeds with seats comfier than a Lazyboy recliner.
    Leeds (West Yorkshire) - If I don't visit once a month I get cranky. Recommended chippy is Graveleys near the bus station.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Speaking as a proud Mancunian, one of my favourite things about living in Manchester is having Yorkshire on my doorstep. It is a place with a colossal amount of win.

As has been mentioned, as a whole it's too vast to explore in one go. My personal favourite region, for places and terrain, is West Yorkshire.

My recommendations:

Ilkley (West Yorkshire) - very attractive spa town
    Huddersfield (West Yorkshire) - very pleasant and impressive town
    Harrogate (North Yorkshire) - 36 bus goes regularly to and from Leeds with seats comfier than a Lazyboy recliner.
    Leeds (West Yorkshire) - If I don't visit once a month I get cranky. Recommended chippy is Graveleys near the bus station.

I live in Todmorden now and have to agree that West Yorkshire is the best part of this county.

Tomorrow I'm off to Hardcastle Crags to do some geocaching and some photographising...then maybe back down to Todmorden to watch the criclet at Central Vale.

This part of the country is beautiful, possibly only beaten by parts of the Lake District.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardcastle Crags is one of a number of Natinal Trust properties in Yorkshire.

Try http://www.aboutbritain.com/counties/west-yorkshire.asp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I live in West Yorkshire I must admit I haven't been to most of these places...must get out more!
    Forum Member
    Scott_P wrote: »
    Although I live in West Yorkshire I must admit I haven't been to most of these places...must get out more!

I know exactly the feeling, I've only just moved to Todmorden but I only lived a valley away from here before and I still haven't really explored the area fully.

Far too many little treasures, I went up to Centre Vale Park this morning and did some photographing - went and saw the Lucky Dog in the old Fielden house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96782952@N05/8912253769/
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like spectacular scenery, The Hole of Horcum is worth a visit. You will find it here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow I'm off to Hardcastle Crags to do some geocaching and some photographising...then maybe back down to Todmorden to watch the criclet at Central Vale.

Sounds like a plan.

I quite like the Toddy area, nestled as it is in that valley. I travel to Halifax from Rochdale quite a bit and have to choose each time whether to go via the Ripponden Road or via Toddy and Hebden Bridge. If you count the Huddersfield Road as well, you realise that there isn't a route into the county that isn't picturesque.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raarraar wrote: »
    Knaresborough is nice.
    and the home of Mother Shipton's Cave which is an interesting attraction and great on a nice day

http://www.mothershipton.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a plan.

I quite like the Toddy area, nestled as it is in that valley. I travel to Halifax from Rochdale quite a bit and have to choose each time whether to go via the Ripponden Road or via Toddy and Hebden Bridge. If you count the Huddersfield Road as well, you realise that there isn't a route into the county that isn't picturesque.

I love the route from Halifax through the valley - I often go for a drive through Ripponden up to Blackstone Edge. The bit where it drops down to Littleborough is stunning, the views over Rochdale and beyond are staggering. The one bugbear I have about that view (from the pub at the top of Blackstone Edge) is the fact that they have power lines running along, kind of spoils the view a bit. Pity they couldn't run the lines underground :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the route from Halifax through the valley - I often go for a drive through Ripponden up to Blackstone Edge. The bit where it drops down to Littleborough is stunning, the views over Rochdale and beyond are staggering. The one bugbear I have about that view (from the pub at the top of Blackstone Edge) is the fact that they have power lines running along, kind of spoils the view a bit. Pity they couldn't run the lines underground :(

Agreed. I have to recommend the White House pub at the peak, if you haven't been already. The dining room has those amazing views and the food is excellent.
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    York is wonderful and I would recommend staying at the Premier Inns. We go away every school holiday break and stay at different ones. The PI's are clean, comfortable, good value for money and the staff go the extra mile for their customers.

Wish I could move "up North". Love it! Suffolk has to be the most boring county in Britain!:p
    Forum Member
    http://flic.kr/p/eCRTuq

Spot the blue heron :D
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah and dont go to the following places in leeds
    chapletown
    gipton
    beeston
    halton moor
    harehills
    chaplealerton

Now now that's not fair
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    and the home of Mother Shipton's Cave which is an interesting attraction and great on a nice day

http://www.mothershipton.co.uk/

Mother ship tons, are you serious?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    To be honest, there is so much to do that you're going to struggle to fit it into three days.

If you're thinking of outdoorsy stuff, I could recommend either Brimham Rocks, or a walk from Aysgarth Falls to Castle Bolton, and back again....

Agree with the above, Malham Cove is also fantastic and a nice pub in the Village. Also quite good is Sutton Bank and a walk over the terrain there, its excellent. Inflection too is a cracking day out
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visit the Potteric Carr Nature Reserve. It's meant to be quite beautiful.
    Or any of these places which I've heard good things from.
    (I live in South Yorkshire and keep meaning to check these places out)
    The Botanical Gardens (Sheffield)
    Wentworth Woodhouse (Rotherham)
    Roche Abbey (Rotherham)
    Wentworth Castle Gardens
    And if you like Doctor Who visit the Police Box in Surrey st, Sheffield
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear Hebden Bridge is nice?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Just come across this thread and although i live in West Yorkshire (Bradford) even i haven't visited half these places!!!
    I do think Yorkshire though as a whole is a fantastic county and has so much to offer. West Yorkshire though fo a short visit would offer so much more and you'd be able to fit much more in. Saltaire is certainly worth a visit and Fanny's Ale House is excellent, Leeds has the brilliant Royal Armouries even Bradford has some great museums. Ilkley is great for a trip out they nip into North Yorkshire visit Harrogate, Heatbeat country and Whitby, the magpie has the best Fish & Chips closely followed by Inghams in Filey and that's not mentioning the yorkshire 3 peaks!!. Hope you manage to get here and see some of the great sights.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire's one of my fave counties - tbh you probably need a fortnight
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Now now that's not fair

Indeed, while most of those are the more dodgy areas of Leeds, I'm not sure what chapel allerton has done to be part of that list. Still, there's plenty of great suggestions been offered in this thread. If you're trying to cram in as much into a short break as you can then York has to take one of the days up. Plenty to see and do.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to York all the time when i was a kid, it is a nice place, i used to love the Railway Museum and must make the effort to go back one day. The hours and hours we used to spend at York Railway Station. Happy days they were for sure.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, sorry for bumping this thread but I asked for advice a while back too so I just wanted to post an update.

I got back from Yorkshire yesterday (spent two nights there doing uni work) and I fell completely and utterly in love with the place. I was there to do some stuff on the Bronte sisters work and also on Sylvia Plath and I managed to get everything done and have time to have a mooch around.

It's a lovely place, I went to Haworth (walked the moors too), Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall (Sylvia Plath's grave) and also Hardcastle Crags, so I would just like to thank the person that recommended that I go there. Such a beautiful place. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and really helpful. I was so hesitant to do this uni project but I'm so glad I did. I had a lovely time.

I can't wait to go back in October/November :)