Options

Who expected Joel's reaction?

boshealectaboshealecta Posts: 1,255
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This isn't a victim blaming thread. Joel felt uncomfortable, I have no doubt about that and it wasn't fair for him to feel like that and to feel harassed. This thread isn't about proving Joel wrong and Aaron right.

It's more that when I was watching the show I thought Joel looked a bit exasperated with Aaron, as he has done previously. Part of me even thinks Joel may be gay and I don't like how Aaron is trying to out him. But I didn't realise just how much it was effecting Joel and just how uncomfortable he felt.

I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion was. Had you read the signs right and knew Joel would respond to BB with those feelings or were you surprised and just how uncomfortable he was being made to feel?

Again it's not a victim blaming thread and I don't want people to have a go at each other for what they genuinely think or believe. It's more it's opened my eyes a bit to possibly see how I could mis read signals of what someone deems appropriate, which is why I sympathise with Aaron but in no way does that mean I think Joel is in the wrong

Comments

• Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I heard Joel say no several times.

I am surprised he was still having baths with Aaron though.

The alcohol didn't help the situation and Aaron is far from subtle
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure if Joel had said 'I'm serious Aaron, just **** off' instead of laughing the incident would have stopped.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    No means No I thought. Several No's is a clear statement in my opinion.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally would have expected his reaction.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a victim blaming thread. Joel felt uncomfortable, I have no doubt about that and it wasn't fair for him to feel like that and to feel harassed. This thread isn't about proving Joel wrong and Aaron right.

It's more that when I was watching the show I thought Joel looked a bit exasperated with Aaron, as he has done previously. Part of me even thinks Joel may be gay and I don't like how Aaron is trying to out him. But I didn't realise just how much it was effecting Joel and just how uncomfortable he felt.

I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion was. Had you read the signs right and knew Joel would respond to BB with those feelings or were you surprised and just how uncomfortable he was being made to feel?

Again it's not a victim blaming thread and I don't want people to have a go at each other for what they genuinely think or believe. It's more it's opened my eyes a bit to possibly see how I could mis read signals of what someone deems appropriate, which is why I sympathise with Aaron but in no way does that mean I think Joel is in the wrong

Even if Joel were gay, it doesn't mean he should tolerate Aaron's disgraceful behaviour. You think all gay men go round practising indecent exposure to all and sundry and that other gay men welcome it? I don't think so.
    I have no sympathy for Aaron at all. It's more than time that he learned what appropriate behaviour is.
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    As seen by the debating task, when you have a chance to eliminate an opponent, you use every trick in the book despite every other housemate in the bedroom egging Aaron on.
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    I'm sure if Joel had said 'I'm serious Aaron, just **** off' instead of laughing the incident would have stopped.

this, pretty much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Can't believe that people are trying to justify Aaron's actions. I don't even like Joel that much but the boy was having an older gay man run at him with his willy hanging out, lying in his bed naked and calling him 'daddy' etc.

Imagine if that was a straight man doing it to a woman. There would be absolute uproar. Big Brother made completely the right decision and I'm honestly baffled how anyone can suggest otherwise.

I'm more disappointed in the more mature housemates who let it continue. Was Keiran in the room? I would have expected him to have the sense to tell Aaron to calm it down.
  • Options
    ultrosultros Posts: 8,504
    Forum Member
    I bet everyone was surprised by his reaction.. although the Joel fans clearly wont admit it as it calls the character of their guy into question.

His fellow housemates certainly would be surprised by his reaction unless you think they were egging Aaron on to bully poor Joel :confused:
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    To me it was a case of Aaron taking a liberty and overstepping the boundary of whatever camaraderie he and Joel had previously built.

Aaron, in his own head felt sure Joel could be persuaded, pushed on quite a number of occasions, and this time it went a step too far. Joel probably felt it was akin to a public pillaging.
  • Options
    roniftoronifto Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron thought he was irresistible, he's not. Correctly removed imo.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    ultros wrote: »
    I bet everyone was surprised by his reaction.. although the Joel fans clearly wont admit it as it calls the character of their guy into question.

His fellow housemates certainly would be surprised by his reaction unless you think they were egging Aaron on to bully poor Joel :confused:

Urgh at turning this into a fan war thing.

I've felt Aaron's behaviour has been inappropriate before this incident took place and I knew it was heading in a bad direction. I'm glad it's been dealt with now as Aaron clearly had problems.
  • Options
    PepperPlantPepperPlant Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    He reacted in the way I would have expected. It was sad to see him in the Diary Room apologising for anything he had done to encourage it. I hope BB told him it wasn't his fault in any way.
  • Options
    roniftoronifto Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Urgh at turning this into a fan war thing.

I've felt Aaron's behaviour has been inappropriate before this incident took place and I knew it was heading in a bad direction. I'm glad it's been dealt with now as Aaron clearly had problems.

Don't you think though Aaron deserved to be let known that his behavior was inappropriate first though? And given the chance to not do what him & the other housemates clearly thought was just a bit of fun? Should Pie Face & Nick etc also have been kicked out as they were egging the inappropriate behavior on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bully. That's the word - bully.

Is Joel the youngest in there? Was Aaron the most sexually experienced? Has he been pestering Joel for weeks? Has Joel rejected him dozens of times?

Yeah - bullying, and the others were complicit. That's how I saw it.

On the other hand, if Aaron was simply out-manoeuvred by the more intelligent Joel, I would not complain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you think though Aaron deserved to be let known that his behavior was inappropriate first though? And given the chance to not do what him & the other housemates clearly thought was just a bit of fun? Should Pie Face & Nick etc also have been kicked out as they were egging the inappropriate behavior on?

I think Big Brother certainly let things go on too long as the signs that this sort of thing would happen were clearly there.
    But Aaron should have the self-awareness and self-control to know what the boundaries are when it comes to another guy who has clearly stated that he is straight numerous times.

I think if you're going to behave as childishly as Aaron did then you're basically leaving yourself open for the possible backlash that may follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Big Brother certainly let things go on too long as the signs that this sort of thing would happen were clearly there.
    But Aaron should have the self-awareness and self-control to know what the boundaries are when it comes to another guy who has clearly stated that he is straight numerous times.

I think if you're going to behave as childishly as Aaron did then you're basically leaving yourself open for the possible backlash that may follow.

But as you say Aaron was merely acting childishly.. not maliciously.
    Just like when Joel's BFF Nick set the ball rolling daring Joel to kiss Aaron earlier on in the night.. he thought it was a bit of fun.
    As far as they were all aware it was just a bit of childish fun that they were ALL complicit in, not just Aaron.
    Just seems a bit harsh on Aaron to me.
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Just like when Joel's BFF Nick set the ball rolling daring Joel to kiss Aaron earlier on in the night.. he thought it was a bit of fun.
    As far as they were all aware it was just a bit of childish fun that they were ALL complicit in, not just Aaron.

Whatever your feelings and sympathies for Aaron are, Joel is not to blame.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Aaron is responsible for his own actions. Not the others. They're only responsible for their own. Just because others egg you on to do something, doesn't lessen your own responsibility for what you choose to do.
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since Joel has always rebuffed Aaron and always appeared uncomfortable with Aaron's come on the answer is yes, totally.

Earlier that day Joel said no to kissing Aaron during truth or dare. His exact words I believe were " I can't kiss you. " Yesterday he said to Aaron in words that he was not gay.
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    I think the whole thing is a complete pile of shit. Has everyone lost a sense of humour ffs? Joel was perfectly fine with it - yes, pissed off with being the butt of the joke but more than capable of going along with it all. I didn't see any expression on his face other than mild amusement/exasperation. It is absolutely ridiculous that Aaron was evicted over this.
    It's made me wonder about a lot of things that are seriously wrong with this country. Really. If people think it's ok to censor such things and other people get crazy because of it..... hello Big Brother FOR REAL,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vesna wrote: »
    Since Joel has always rebuffed Aaron and always appeared uncomfortable with Aaron's come on the answer is yes, totally.

Earlier that day Joel said no to kissing Aaron during truth or dare. His exact words I believe were " I can't kiss you. " Yesterday he said to Aaron in words that he was not gay.

But if Joel has made his uncomfortableness in Aaron's behavior as apparent as people are now saying then why did one of his best friends (Nick) dare him to kiss Aaron earlier in the night?
    Does Nick secretly hate Joel :confused:
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should have known his behavior was inappropriate in the first place. The guy is suppose to be 24 years old and yet has the emotional maturity of a toddler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But if Joel has made his uncomfortableness in Aaron's behavior as apparent as people are now saying then why did one of his best friends (Nick) dare him to kiss Aaron earlier in the night?
    Does Nick secretly hate Joel :confused:

I think there is a slight difference between one kiss as part of a game of truth or dare and the situation in the bedroom.
    The two things would be more comparable if Aaron had continued pressuring Joel into kissing him or something.

I mean since Joel had made it obvious that he was against kissing in the game of truth or dare then the incident in the bedroom should never have happened. It almost felt like Aaron's way of getting back at him.