Options

0845 and 0870 and BT

Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else noted that a steady stream of companies are now switching their numbers to 0844 ... ..... since BT introduced 0845 and 0870 numbers onto your inclusive call packages?

Personally, I am really getting p***** off with being ripped off by these companies. It's about time Ofcom did something about it!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Totaly agree with you mate.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what did Ofcom say when you complained to them?
  • Options
    krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wouldn't be so much of a problem with 0844 numbers if the company actually could answer the calls!
    I object to paying above normal rate to be kept holding on whilst the company is earning revenue - where is the incentive to actually answer the phone???

If they can't answer the phone instantly you should get the engaged tone.

Sky sent me a good offer but I'm not prepared to wait ages at my expense to take it up...
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what did Ofcom say when you complained to them?

Let me guess, was is something like “ we have no power to do anything because we are just Westminster puppets who are in turn puppets to Brussels.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Let me guess, was is something like “ we have no power to do anything because we are just Westminster puppets who are in turn puppets to Brussels.:D

Absolutely! I know there is nothing we can do about it but as I said in my original post I am just so completely p***** off with being ripped off all the time. I know form talking to other people that everyone hates these bloody call centres. BT at least then include the 0870 and 0845 numbers into their existing call plans only for these companies to get round that by changing their numbers to 0844.

I really have got to the stage where unless I deem it a matter of life or death I will not call these numbers. I am constantly using http://www.saynoto0870.comand if there is no alternative number I don't call.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    What annoys me about companies who use 0844 and 0845 still say that these prefixes are local call rates. They are NOT - they are income generation numbers that extort money out of the caller. We live in RIP OFF Britain, however I know for fact that this happens in near enough other countries. It's immoral!

Brooke Bond
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BrookeBond wrote: »
    What annoys me about companies who use 0844 and 0845 still say that these prefixes are local call rates. They are NOT - they are income generation numbers that extort money out of the caller. We live in RIP OFF Britain, however I know for fact that this happens in near enough other countries. It's immoral!

[RANT]

0844 and 0871 are premium rate numbers.

Unfortunately you get people who are so animal stupid (sorry animals) that the really believe that because some industry lapdog says that only numbers beginning with other prefixes are premium rate that is actually the case.

It makes you wonder if they are so gullible in other areas of life.

Do they really believe that furniture shops sell things for half price - all the time?

It wouldn't be so bad but they pop up all the time and distract from the message that whatever you call them, these numbers are a rip-off.

[/RANT]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noted that a steady stream of companies are now switching their numbers to 0844 ... ..... since BT introduced 0845 and 0870 numbers onto your inclusive call packages?

Personally, I am really getting p***** off with being ripped off by these companies. It's about time Ofcom did something about it!
    Yep, I've noticed this too. In fact, I think all the companies I usually contact use 0844 numbers now. Even our local GP who is 10 mins walk away is more expensive than phoning the USA! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    Yep, I've noticed this too. In fact, I think all the companies I usually contact use 0844 numbers now. Even our local GP who is 10 mins walk away is more expensive than phoning the USA! :eek:

I have to confess I had an impression that it was decided recently that GP's would be told that they cannot use these numbers but I have to admit I am unable to find anything about this, so perhaps I am wrong. So now we pay tax for the NHS and still have to pay on top to get an appointment with your GP. It really is outrageous!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to confess I had an impression that it was decided recently that GP's would be told that they cannot use these numbers but I have to admit I am unable to find anything about this, so perhaps I am wrong. So now we pay tax for the NHS and still have to pay on top to get an appointment with your GP. It really is outrageous!

Found this:
    14 Sep 2009

The Department of Health has announced that the use of premium rate phone numbers in the NHS is to be banned.

The DH said it would enforce the ban through negotiating changes to the GP contract and issuing directions to primary care trusts and NHS trusts. GPs and other providers will still be able to use 084 numbers but their suppliers will not be able to charge more than the cost of a local call.

I have BT's international saver where a call to the USA is cheaper than a local call, so that seems to explain why calls to my local GP's 0844 number are more expensive than phoning the USA. Just seems odd when comparing the call charges in print!
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    That's a typical government 'non-decision' which is really obfuscation to the extreme.

The announcement was deliberately delayed until BT's latest price increase - which saw the cost of calls to 01/02/03 numbers on weekdays rise to 5.25p/minute for those not on inclusive calls plans. Amazingly, all of a sudden ALL 0844 calls are cheaper than a local call!

There's a pattern of deceit here - why do you think so many MPs now make lots of £24 expenses claims now that they have to provide receipts for all claims over £25?

Them and us. Them and us.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a company that offers free 0845 and 0870 calls. It is surprising how many callers i get complaining about being charged for 0844 and 0871 calls. Which i agree with, most companies are moving to 0871 and 0844 numbers all the time. I think it is completely unfair that we should have to pay to get in contact with the people who operate the things we already pay for!

On the other hand, i get some silly callers who ask "does the free 0845 and 0870 calls include 0844 and 0871?" My reply is "no it does not, the free 0845 and 0870 only includes calls to 0845 and 0870"