Options

mp3 players for dummies... (assistance, please!)

Wondering if anyone can give me a pointer - I'd like to purchase a fairly cheap (£50-£100) mp3 player that will play .wav files and is easy to operate.

No amazing jiggery-pokery required - good basic would be fine!

can anyone recommend anything - or does anyone know of a good, reputable online site where I can find out about/purchase such a thing?

Be gentle with me - I'm not very technical... :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Might want to look for the new Sony NW-E005 range of walkmans. 2GB of flash memory, about 28 hours battery life from the built in rechargeable battery. Walkman looks like a USB pen drive, just plug it into PC and start transfering music onto it using the software provided. On the sony website you find they are about £79-£99 pounds. As soon as they are released check on Amazomn.co.uk and you'll probably get it even cheaper.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_GB_Products&article=1143471801850&site=odw_en_GB
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Why do you need .wav files? If you can convert them to .mp3 it'll take up about a tenth of the space, and you won't be able to tell any drop in quality, only takes a few seconds to convert too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    get an ipod shuffle cos they convert for you and can convert down to 128kpbs automatically to fit more songs onto the 1gb stick

works fine for me (although i dont use the 128kbps option)
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praxidike wrote:
    Why do you need .wav files? If you can convert them to .mp3 it'll take up about a tenth of the space, and you won't be able to tell any drop in quality, only takes a few seconds to convert too!

Hubby's got loads of 'listen again' rado broadcasts clogging up our hard drive in .wav format and I'd like to get them onto an mp3 device so that he can listen to them when he's out and about and so that we have more space on our hard drive!

Could I convert them using Nero wave editor?

Thanks for the tips so far! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    handymelon wrote:
    Hubby's got loads of 'listen again' rado broadcasts clogging up our hard drive in .wav format and I'd like to get them onto an mp3 device so that he can listen to them when he's out and about and so that we have more space on our hard drive!

Could I convert them using Nero wave editor?

Thanks for the tips so far! :)
    Not sure about Nero wave editor, never used it, but I guess it could have an option to convert in there somewhere.

I use a converter that I got from this site. The second one down looks alright, the one I got doesn't seem to be freeware any more!
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really useful converter, and it's free.

dBPowerAmp

Convert all the .wav files on your drive and you'll soon have loads of free space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    collincn wrote:
    A really useful converter, and it's free.

dBPowerAmp

Convert all the .wav files on your drive and you'll soon have loads of free space.
    Ah, that's the one I was looking for! Couldn't find it, only one I could find was a 30-day trial version, although the one I downloaded ages ago is freeware! :confused:

EDIT: just checked it again, that seems to be the 30-day trial too, they must be charging for full use now... :(
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praxidike wrote:
    EDIT: just checked it again, that seems to be the 30-day trial too, they must be charging for full use now... :(

So it is, my appologies. That must be new as I've been using it for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah me too, didn't even realise it's not freeware anymore until I looked earlier.