Vista Help

This isn't a huge problem but when I first got Vista, all the various windows that I'd have opened at the same time would display in a layered style on the desktop when I hit the 'switch between windows' button but now I just get the icons in a linear style.

Does anyone know how I can restore the appearance to the original layered way please?

Comments

• Liam StevenLiam Steven Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't a huge problem but when I first got Vista, all the various windows that I'd have opened at the same time would display in a layered style on the desktop when I hit the 'switch between windows' button but now I just get the icons in a linear style.

Does anyone know how I can restore the appearance to the original layered way please?

I don't understand what you mean?

Hold the windows key (flag) and press Tab, is this what you mean?
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Ah, I see what you mean but that's not what I mean.

You know the icon next to the start button on the screen? Well when I've hit that in the past, all the windows I had open would display on the desktop as if they were lying one on top of the other but now I get the same as if I had pressed the keys that you mentioned, with the icons next to each other.

I know I'm not doing a good job at making myself understood but is the above any clearer?
  • Liam StevenLiam Steven Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see what you mean but that's not what I mean.

You know the icon next to the start button on the screen? Well when I've hit that in the past, all the windows I had open would display on the desktop as if they were lying one on top of the other but now I get the same as if I had pressed the keys that you mentioned, with the icons next to each other.

I know I'm not doing a good job at making myself understood but is the above any clearer?

Press Alt + Tab
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Have you switched Aero off?

Control Panel / Appearance and Personalization / Change the Colour Scheme - Select Windows Aero.

If the above option doesn't appear, select the option for 'Show other options' (or words to that effect).
    Forum Member
    Max99, I can't find this Aero anywhere - is it on Vista?

Liam Steven - the result I get from pressing Alt + tab is what I don't want.

Don't worry though, it's not vital I just like the way the currently open windows used to display. I'll just have to learn to live without!

Thanks for all your help though.
    Forum Member
    If this is the effect you're talking about, follow this guide to ensure Aero is switched on (you want to actually select Aero in the last step though).
    Forum Member
    Max99, you're my hero! That's exactly what I meant and now it's what I've got, so thank you. :D
    Forum Member
    Glad to have helped with such a life-altering problem :)
    Forum Member
    I am but a simple soul with simple needs :)