Options

Hallelujah

13»

Comments

• Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol @ the teenagers and adults pretending to like Buckley when all the while just like him not really understanding the song themselves.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol @ the teenagers and adults pretending to like Buckley when all the while just like him not really understanding the song themselves.

:rolleyes:
    so funny
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member

That's a good point. The true meaning of the song is difficult to interpret.
    Many people have different opinions on what it means.
    So the people who covered probably didn't know what Mr Cohen was saying.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do what? Are you lolling at them pretending to like Buckley? :confused: Or not understanding the song? Or at liking a song they don't understand? What's so funny about any of these?
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite versions are actually by women - KD Lang and Kate Voegele. Both very different too.

Alexandra does a fine job for a select audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    My favourite versions are actually by women - KD Lang and Kate Voegele. Both very different too.

i think that's a good way of putting it.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    That's a good point. The true meaning of the song is difficult to interpret.
    Many people have different opinions on what it means.
    So the people who covered probably didn't know what Mr Cohen was saying.

That's an interesting point - if you don't understand the true meaning of a song, should you attempt to perform it, while only understanding what you can from the lyrics? Or should you leave it alone if you don't understand what Cohen really meant by it? And is it only credible to enjoy a performance by someone who truly understands the lyrics?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i should not have clicked on this thread....i always get involved when Jeff Buckley is concerned ;)

Sorry but Jeff Buckleys version is considered by me and most of the music industry to be the best version.
    Its his version that is on rolling stones greatest songs list..

Jeff Buckley sings the song with so much passion and heart-break that all other versions seem to fade in comparison.... her version fails because she has no passion for the song (she stated it herself), she made no effort to understand the lryics, if she had she would see that it is a mournful song.

Jeff Buckley was one of the greatest artists that ever lived, you need to listen to his music and read his lryics to understand just what he has brought to music.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I don't see why that's Alexandra's fault. She had to sing the song. People give her a lot of stick but she had no choice. She had a good go at it and it's a decent version even if it doesn't capture the essence of the song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eoghans version is definately the best. FACT. Absolutely phenomenal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    umm123 wrote: »
    Eoghans version is definately the best. FACT. Absolutely phenomenal.

I like his more than hers...at least he gets what tone the song should be in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex has already stated that the song didn't do anything for her, and she thought she'd lose the XF when she was told what the winner's single was.

She then said she was going to "Whitney it up".

I can't blame her, really. She did the best job connecting with the lyrics as she could, considering that it didn't mean anything to her.

I prefer the tone of her voice to other singer's who have covered this song, which is one of the reasons why Alex's is my favourite version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't doubt she did the best she could with a song she didn't care for, but that doesn't result in an overly-spectacular version of the song, for me at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

Katie is terrific.

I didnt hate Alexandra's version, but I didnt buy it. I bought Jeff Buckley's (again!) because I would have preferred that version to get to no 1 :)
    If I am fair though, most years I would prefer almost anything to get to no 1 as long as it is NOT the X Factor single. Let them have the following week. :D
    But I was a lot more motivated in this particular case.

I think that Jeff Buckley's version is the definitive version for a lot of people, and it is my favourite.

The one good thing about Alex doing it was that it brought the song a shed load more attention, and Mr Buckley's version with it.

I didnt really feel it was her favourite song to sing, but she did a competent job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluerose15 wrote: »
    I like his more than hers...at least he gets what tone the song should be in.

Tone , maybe , but tune , definetely not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tone , maybe , but tune , definetely not.

i can't remember eoghan's version at all.
  • Options
    lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluerose15 wrote: »
    Oh i should not have clicked on this thread....i always get involved when Jeff Buckley is concerned ;)

Sorry but Jeff Buckleys version is considered by me and most of the music industry to be the best version.
    Its his version that is on rolling stones greatest songs list..

Jeff Buckley sings the song with so much passion and heart-break that all other versions seem to fade in comparison.... her version fails because she has no passion for the song (she stated it herself), she made no effort to understand the lryics, if she had she would see that it is a mournful song.

Jeff Buckley was one of the greatest artists that ever lived, you need to listen to his music and read his lryics to understand just what he has brought to music.

agreed!!! the reason I dislike Alexandra's version so much (and this isn't all her fault) is that the passion of the song has been ripped out, mostly, not to do with her and the way she sang it, but the sheer over-production of it all, turning it from this heart-wrenching low key song to a big powerhouse ballad.

I felt that if her released version was more acoustic, didn't have the big choir and token key change would've been beautiful.