Options

Aldi

Comments

• Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their £1.99 a box of 12 pouches of cat food disagreed with my cat and he was sick :(

Apart from that I've never experienced any problems with any their products.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    You obviously haven't tasted/used the products then.

I have and i agree with the OP Very similar to any supermarkets cheap own brand
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    I have and i agree with the OP Very similar to any supermarkets cheap own brand

Is Harrods your supermarket? ;)
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The car park of our new Aldi is full of expensive cars, lots of people have realised how cheap and good some of their products are. If fact Hubbie and I are popping over there shortly for some goods, and we're not poor, we're not rich either but believe in value for money. Saying only poor people shop there is a gross misstatement, and if they do, well they're trying to make what little they have go further, what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Their £1.99 a box of 12 pouches of cat food disagreed with my cat and he was sick :(

I bought some Aldi tinned Salmon and it was dreadful.I gave the rest to my cats and they never touched it.If am animal that licks its own arse turns its nose up at food then that food is crap.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Aldi's cheap because it's like own brand..."

Well ****ing durrrrrrrrr....
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reasons to dislike Aldi and Lidl:
    Ignorance
    Snobbery
    Local shopkeeper terrified of the competition
    Trolling

Reasons to like them:
    High quality
    Low prices
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I bought some Aldi tinned Salmon and it was dreadful.I gave the rest to my cats and they never touched it.If am animal that licks its own arse turns its nose up at food then that food is crap.

Actually, I will agree on that. The tinned tuna is crap too.

However, I find things that I don't like at all of the supermarkets. The only problem with Aldi is that their product range is smaller, so you might not be able to pick up an alternative as you would in larger supermarkets.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Aldi's fruit and veg is fab.
    Indeed. So are some of the chocolates.

Imitation Twix x5 for 69p. :p
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with Digital Spy and the plethora of snobs who constantly complain about Aldi and Lidl and the people who choose to shop there? If you don't like it, then the solution is simple - DON'T BLOODY SHOP THERE!

I'm not poor, yet I shop there for some items. Lidl's gherkins are the best!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

...not really...animals have likes and dislikes,the same as humans...
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Aldi's fruit and veg is fab.

agreed, if you like mould
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do sometimes wonder whether Tesco and the like order their employees to post these banal, 'Aldi are rubbish' threads.

Because the fullness of my local Aldi car park tells me that Aldi are giving the traditional, big British supermarkets one hell of a kicking in the bottom line.

The opening of Bury St Edmunds on 31st October will be our 500th UK store

However, it has become the UK's fastest-growing food retailer and is rapidly expanding its share of the market. The 2012 results show revenue increased by 40.6pc to £3.9bn last year and pre-tax profits more than doubled from £70.5m to a record £157.9m
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that when I go in to Aldi all the staff including the manager are actually working, not just poncing about with head mikes trying to look important while your stuck in a que thats not moving.

Tesco's take note, when you have more staff wearing suits and head mikes, than actually on the tills working, it's time to re-think.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My cat likes them. But she has an iron stomach - she'll eat leftover chilli or curries without batting an eyelid.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that when I go in to Aldi all the staff including the manager are actually working, not just poncing about with head mikes trying to look important while your stuck in a que thats not moving.

Tesco's take note, when you have more staff wearing suits and head mikes, than actually on the tills working, it's time to re-think.

Well said, this is why i have stopped using Tesco. Very poor customer care
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My cat likes them. But she has an iron stomach - she'll eat leftover chilli or curries without batting an eyelid.:eek:

With pawapawdoms?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aldi shop floor workers are paid more as well.

Aldi is great, and getting better all the time. Their Gold Label tea is wonderful, as is their Colombian coffee.

The only drawback with Aldi is I can't get absolutely everything I need there, although more now than I once could. So I top up at the local Co op.

Aldi stuff is BETTER than the top supermarket value ranges, it's eqivalent to the standard ranges and sometimes better.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    Aldi's great. My local store hasn't the floor space as the other supermarkets, so you don't waste time marching from end to the other, and the till operators are so bloody quick so your in and out in five minutes. I hate shopping, so the quicker I can get it over with the better.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed, if you like mould

What nonsense
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem with Aldi is that it does not stock a wide range of items. The choice of cheeses, dairy products, meats, etc is very limited
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi's great. My local store hasn't the floor space as the other supermarkets, so you don't waste time marching from end to the other, and the till operators are so bloody quick so your in and out in five minutes. I hate shopping, so the quicker I can get it over with the better.

Oh yeah, the till guys are amazing. Occasionally you get the odd person who doesn't get that you're supposed to sort out bagging etc on the shelf at the end (I personally like to put things directly into bags in my boot), but otherwise it's so efficient.

Plus the layout is pretty much the same, so you can get around it really quickly. Takes me about 25mins tops to do the whole weekly shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We like the meat from Aldi-joints of beef brisket for the slow cooker, pork and decent sized chickens.

Kids love the breakfast cereals- 4 year old loves the bran flakes from there.

crisps are yummy, sandwich meats are delicious, butters lovely and the yoghurts and cheese

milks just milk :D

our cats love there tinned cat food in jelly-I think its their favorite (they will not touch Morrisons cat food)

the only problem i have with aldi is i'm not fond of there chocolate selection
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luba wrote: »
    So only the poor shop at Aldi.
    Utter rubbish.

poor people or people who like cheap rubbish food.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason I don't shop at Aldi is because the nearest one is miles away (and Lidl is in an awkward spot) but I don't see the point in throwing unnecessary money away, I would draw the line at stuff like meat but I'd happily buy plenty of Tesco Value products.