✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Beyonce's performance was boring. :(

Beyonce was extremely dull tbh.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took all these years to finally give Led Zeppelin an award... And it wasn't even the one they truly deserved, they've been give it out of the fact that the panel knows dropped a clanger not giving them one years ago. I still feel sour at the fact that they decided to acknowledge the existence of The Clash, oh, the year after Joe Strummer died. I found the tribute incredibly tedious.

It's turned into a pretentious load of nonsense that kisses the backside of Jay Z.

Both Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath won awards and yet from the BBC, ahem, "coverage" you would never know two British bands won anything. >:(
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad that
    Kacey Musgraves and the Civil Wars
    won! :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    Beyonce was extremely dull tbh.

I didn't rate the GRAMMYs performance either.
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OVxPiZQDc

Enjoyed Madonna's guest stint, although I don't think vocally Open Your Heart has been a good song for her since 1990... she was a MUCH more soulful voice for Same Love than Mary Lambert though, with a better upper range...
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Beyonce's performance. She's done so many different types of performances at the Grammy's over the years...huge huge produtcions, simple coal performances, dance-focused perforances etc. Was nice to see just her on stage working it and then Jay come out. Simple, but it worked. The performance suited the song too. I loved it.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only seen Beyonce's and Taylor Swift's performances on YouTube. Started watching Katy Perry's but I can't bear that Dark Horse song and frankly she seems to be a little in love with herself at the moment so I only saw up to the chorus I think before I turned it off.

Anyway, I wasn't keen on Beyonce's performance but that was mostly based on the song. I am not overly fond of her most recent material but that to one side the performance itself worked it just fell down (for me) because of the song she performed. The simplicity was a fantastic choice, most performances I've seen her do have been loud and flashy with over the top dance routines so this was nice. :)

I loved Taylor's performance of All Too Well though. I'm a massive fan of that song so in spite of the odd head banging in the middle (she's going to cause herself a neck injury if she carries on like that!) I thought it was great. Again, the simplicity of the performance worked and I thought it came across as being very emotional, I loved it.

Haven't seen Pink's performance yet but I imagine that would be equally good if not better, I've not seen a bad performance by Pink yet!
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watched it all yet but caught some performances on youtube.

I expected so much more from Beyonce. She usually has a good production, but last night she was so boring. What was with her being overly sexual? Miley Cyrus would have got hell for that, so I wouldn't have expected her to drop down to that level. Perhaps it was the video, but she looked like she was lipsyncing at the beginning as well.

I was enjoying Macklemore but what the f- was with Madonna? That was some terrible vocals! Not only could she barely keep control of her own song, but to shriek over Mary's part at the end. I didn't really like the whole marriage part either.. It was so 'unholy' and came off like a TV stunt!

As per usual, P!nk stole the night. Fantastic performance. You can always count on her to give a great performance and still deliver vocally. Shame Nate couldn't :p

I enjoyed P!nk, Imagine Dragons, Lorde and Taylor
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna's vocals were great on Same Love, but grim on Open Your Heart... she's never been able to sing that song particularly well, but hasn't performed it even reasonably well since 1990.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree about Madonna's voice.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall the show was really disappointing. Even my girl Pink has left me underwhelmed.

Madonna could have done with not being there, especially if this doesn't lead into anything.

I surprisingly liked all of the country acts. Will have to check them out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what does he mean when he raps that he's like Ike Turner?
    Why would anyone want to compare themselves to that guy?
    Is the underlying theme of that song then "I can do whatever I want and she'll lap it up?"
    What's the context like ...

He was using metaphors of men who are known to beat things up like Mike in '97 and Ike Turner to reference how he would beat up the box. Yes it is tasteless, but the metaphors do make sense and aren't meant to be taken literally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    He was using metaphors of men who are known to beat things up like Mike in '97 and Ike Turner to reference how he would beat up the box. Yes it is tasteless, but the metaphors do make sense and aren't meant to be taken literally.

Thank god, someone else that understands it.
  • Options
    phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be shown on uk tv and when?
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phillip2 wrote: »
    Will this be shown on uk tv and when?

4music 9pm tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On 4Music 9pm tonight +

Thursday 30 January at 6pm, with red-carpet coverage from 5:30pm

Sunday 2 February at 5pm

Also a 90-min edit on C4 @ 12.05am tonight.
  • Options
    phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times
    Five must see moments from the Grammys 2014
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-27/five-must-see-moments-from-the-grammys-2014
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTE's broadcast is almost over. It was superb! A complete treat of real music - stages full of legends. Enjoy!

Hilarious that ye're all talking about Swift, Beyoncé and Katy; this show was about rock'n'roll (with a few country legends thrown in - and Daft Punk). Brilliant. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're showing this in a weird order aren't they? this was definitely before pink... pink was over an hour into the show.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Pink was great, and I actually liked Beyonce's performance. I thought she sounded great and it was nice to see something stripped down (pun intended) and more simple! Thought the production and styling went with the song very well.

Katy Perry was the same as always - great staging but she didn't sound great. She really struggles live I think.

I really liked the Macklemore performance too. I liked the marriage aspect and enjoyed Miranda Lambert's singing. I can see why they got Madonna on the performance but I thought she sounded terrible. It was out of tune and especially weak in the higher registers, just sounded very forced.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I must have been listening to a different Madonna then because I thought she sounded really good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did 4music cut out john legend's performance? it was one of the best vocals of the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got around to watching all of the performances. I loved Beyonce's. I couldn't even watch all of Katy Perry's...terrible. Pink I wasn't impressed by...we've seen her do the whole singing while in the air thing before...it was nothing new and I thought it was a bit pointless. As for Madonna, it really says a lot about her when you have to sit there and wonder whether the cain she's holding is a prop or a walking stick. When she walked out onto the stage she actually looked like a pale old fanny holding a stick. Sorry...I mean granny. I really enjoyed Taylor Swift. For me, Beyonce and Taylor were best.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching the highlights on Channel 4 and i don't understand why they have edited a 3 and a half hour how into just 90 minutes, they seem to be missing a lot out which is annoying.