Best practice for charging an IPad Mini

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I bought an iPad Mini recently and I love it :D

I want to look after it as best I can!

Once it runs out of charge (its on 20%) what happens next? is it okay to leave it charging overnight or do you have to be on hand to stop it when it's ready?

Is it bad for the battery to stop it mid charge? :) thanks!

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest charging it to 60 or 70% lordoftime. Once you know how long that takes you can use a simple plug timer to stop it near your chosen percent.

If run time suits, 60% will make battery stay healthier.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response. Getting a plug timer is something I'll look into. :)

I'm also assuming that if I do let the ipad to go 100% charge before disconnecting the charging process just cuts off. I just wanted to know if this doing this as a habit would decrease the battery life faster.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Just charge it when you need to and don't worry about a timer etc as they get to 100% and stop charging.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charge it overnight and don't worry about the battery.

To give you an example, my Mk1 iPad has seen at least 1500 charge cycles having had daily charges for three years solid from new (May 2010). Then, being handed down, it's seen as much use for a further year before being replaced by an iPad mini. It still sees occasional use today.

Checking the error logs reveals that in April it died due to insufficient battery having been left in standby (with WiFI on) for 1068 hours - or 44 days! Not bad for a 5 year old battery with a lot of miles on it.

Bottom line is charge it overnight if it's below 40% (because 40% will typically offer another several hours use into the next day).
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Charge it overnight and don't worry about the battery.

To give you an example, my Mk1 iPad has seen at least 1500 charge cycles having had daily charges for three years solid from new (May 2010). Then, being handed down, it's seen as much use for a further year before being replaced by an iPad mini. It still sees occasional use today.

Checking the error logs reveals that in April it died due to insufficient battery having been left in standby (with WiFI on) for 1068 hours - or 44 days! Not bad for a 5 year old battery with a lot of miles on it.

Bottom line is charge it overnight if it's below 40% (because 40% will typically offer another several hours use into the next day).

Great. Thank you :)