Options

Gerrard this, Gerrard that.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Are you sure that Gerrard is leaving the Premier League ? there is plenty of talk about him coming back to play for Liverpool again on loan at some point next season.

Take it with a pinch of salt but he did say that he would only come back to train again but wouldn't play.

Wouldn't be shocked if that changed if Liverpool happened to be struggling next season but thats the party line as things stand i believe.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he could play for Liverpool again in November?

Makes a mockery of this entire year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

Well no.

Well as I'm sure you know the MLS season doesn't run alongside ours hence the returns of Landon Donovan, Henry, Beckham etc to Europe in their close season.

However once again Gerrard has said he wouldn't come back to play and he is leaving so you can only take his word for it.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member

you Chelsea fans really have a bee in your bonnets over all this don't you? What's up? annoyed with Lampard and the way he left you?

Gerrard is moving to LA after his final match next weekend, he MAY at some time in the future come back in another role at Liverpool (I'm dammed sure he will), but I doubt very much he will come back as a player. That appears to just be something Chelsea fans think WILL happen - aka Lampard, as it's normal to them.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how the nay-sayers arguments now are revolving around the extremely unlikely hypothetical scenario that Gerrard will return to Liverpool on loan. Almost as though it's destined to happen.

It's like arguing that Messi isn't the best player ever because someone in 2051 will debut and be better.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear :D

Even for you, that's a belter.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't bother me. Liverpool have had a pretty woeful season so at least they had some sort of joyous occasion at the end of it. Them losing summed up their season.
    Great player who until the next one comes along will be known as the best player never to have won the league. He will be sung about at many grounds for a good few years yet though so his memory will live long.
    Liverpool would be mad to start the circus off again by bringing him back on loan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    It didn't bother me. Liverpool have had a pretty woeful season so at least they had some sort of joyous occasion at the end of it. Them losing summed up their season.
    Great player who until the next one comes along will be known as the best player never to have won the league. He will be sung about at many grounds for a good few years yet though so his memory will live long.
    Liverpool would be mad to start the circus off again by bringing him back on loan.

I've no doubt that the songs about him never winning the league will follow him to the use
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    I'm a Palace fan and I have absolutely no problem with the fact that us winning yesterday wasn't the big story. A legend has retired, he is as good as I've ever seen in that position and deserves the best of send offs.
    I'm amazed and disgusted that some are putting club loyalties in front of what is the right thing to do.

Can I just say that the Palace fans were brilliant yesterday?

And deserved their win.
  • Options
    Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just say that the Palace fans were brilliant yesterday?

And deserved their win.

I second that. They showed a hunger for the win that I really wish most of the LFC team had on the day.Played some great football to and were unlucky not to get more goals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If comparisons to Beckham,Lampard and Scholes are to be made, then you have to point out that Gerrard never played under a manager at the very top like Mourinho or Ferguson in his club career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If comparisons to Beckham,Lampard and Scholes are to be made, then you have to point out that Gerrard never played under a manager at the very top like Mourinho or Ferguson in his club career.

Is this not another excuse for him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this not another excuse for him?

It's perfectly valid reasoning.Football is always a team game, no matter how much the media have led us to believe that Liverpool have been a one man team since Gerrard has become captain.

The comparisons made with players at clubs who have had some of the best managers and financing in their history are peculiar in the first place.

It would be just as bizarre if I called those players mercenary for not staying with the clubs they supported since childhood as Gerrard has.

He's finished his PL career now, you could just let it go:p
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That's more or less what he has said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A former Utd and a former Arsenal player both decided on Gerrard, when asked the question about signing him or Lampard on MOTD 2 this evening.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »

It doesn't bother me either. It's a shame Chelsea fans are being generalised about when it's really only a couple that seem to care about it.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    you Chelsea fans really have a bee in your bonnets over all this don't you? What's up? annoyed with Lampard and the way he left you?

Gerrard is moving to LA after his final match next weekend, he MAY at some time in the future come back in another role at Liverpool (I'm dammed sure he will), but I doubt very much he will come back as a player. That appears to just be something Chelsea fans think WILL happen - aka Lampard, as it's normal to them.

It has nothing to do with Lampard leaving Chelsea. My complaint is that the media were so over the top. I thought this was pretty obvious from my first post. Not a single player in the history of the game has got anything close to what Gerrard got in the last week.

The media and especially Sky, were treating him like he was some sort of hero or god. Sky bringing back player cam just for Gerrard. The commentator sounding gutted just because Crystal Palace beat them. The punditry being done on the pitch instead of in a studio like they usually do. Interviewing kids after the game asking what they thought of Gerrard. The phrases they were using to describe Gerrard were ridiculous. Here's one of them "The Best There Is, the Best There Was, the Best There Ever Will Be". It was cringey and very typical of Sky when it comes to anything Liverpool.

He was just another footballer who was capable of very good moments in football but also responsible for a lot of mistakes that has cost his club and country massively over the years.

He has done nothing greater than any other legend of the sport. But with the way the media have been going on about him of late, you would think he had done more in the game than any player ever.
    A former Utd and a former Arsenal player both decided on Gerrard, when asked the question about signing him or Lampard on MOTD 2 this evening.

And ?
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me either. It's a shame Chelsea fans are being generalised about when it's really only a couple that seem to care about it.

It's not JUST Chelsea fans that care though. Many fans of different clubs think the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's perfectly valid reasoning.Football is always a team game, no matter how much the media have led us to believe that Liverpool have been a one man team since Gerrard has become captain.

The comparisons made with players at clubs who have had some of the best managers and financing in their history are peculiar in the first place.

It would be just as bizarre if I called those players mercenary for not staying with the clubs they supported since childhood as Gerrard has.

He's finished his PL career now, you could just let it go:p

I have actually defended him on here and I am a big admirer of Gerrard so I have nothing to let go at all.

Im just surprised the willingness of some Liverpool fans have to suddenly belittle everything else about their club in order to defend him (albeit rightly defending him in the face of some daft criticism).

A poster earlier said that he played with inferior players and now it been suggested he played under inferior managers (in comparison to some other players).

He won a treble of cups in one season. He was at the sharp end in at least two (that I can remember off the top of my head) league title campaigns that Liverpool probably should have won and he reached two Champions League finals.

In other scenarios I have seen those achievements lauded but now they are being almost being talked down and dismissed.

Unless there is now an admission that the Champions League is really just a glorified cup competition and the League is the real test of a team then I don't understand who a player who reached two finals can have been surrounded by inferior players compared to the likes of Scholes and Lampard who weren't hugely more successful in the competition. Ive also seen the likes of Houllier, Benitez and Dalglish being defended to the hilt by Liverpool fans for what they have done for the club but now there is a suggestion that they are inferior to Mourinho and Ferguson. I never thought I'd see the day...... :)

Personally I thought Gerrard played in some very good sides with some exceptional players but that on the whole Liverpool have completely underachieved in the Premier League era but not for the lack of resources or the tools to do better.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some haters just need to walk away from this and have a lie down in a darkened room
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its quite unbelievable really.

Its not even his last game for the club. We have had speeches and kids on the pitch, and yet he has another game to go!

The hypocrisy of him thanking the fans, and yet he forgets about their reaction to him when he was about to sign for another club. They HATED him, without question.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    ...it was the last home game, the kids thing happens on the last home game every season. The speech thing was because it was the last home game, the last time he's able to address the Anfield crowd.

I'm not going to bother with the other crap.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite unbelievable really.

Its not even his last game for the club. We have had speeches and kids on the pitch, and yet he has another game to go!

The hypocrisy of him thanking the fans, and yet he forgets about their reaction to him when he was about to sign for another club. They HATED him, without question.

Your emotions are getting in the way of your ability to think sensibly.
    Sad, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching the game on Sky yesterday I saw Manchester United do a lap of honour with their kids and stuff as it was the last home game and they haven't had an amazing season by any means - its a normal thing to do though to say thanks to the fans, so what Liverpool did for Gerrard is hardly anything huge.

Things are being blown out of proportion here for some reason.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    It's not JUST Chelsea fans that care though. Many fans of different clubs think the same.

I know that, my Arsenal supporting friend was banging on about it the other day. While I think all the media hooplah over Gerrard is a bit over the top, it doesn't bother me…. I find it easy enough to switch off from listening about it.