Options

Is Happy a flop?

Comments

• Options
    stevo642stevo642 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a flop in my terms (but not in Simon's :D as it didnt go to no 1 but it is bloody DEPRESSING!

I like Leona and she is outstanding at ballads but I wish she would do more up-tempo stuff - not heard her new album so can anyone tell me if there is any more lively stuff on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfVsHmgGbsg

one of my favourite songs at the mo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    LOL, two sales threads, Tigerpaws? I thought that you stated last year that you would never ever post in the nasty sales threads?
    Never mind, thank you for starting them, I like sales threads :)

As for Happy, everything considered, Leona's profile plus X Factor performance, and compared to other X Factor linked singles, Happy first week sales isn't wonderful but as everyone knows, one week sales isn't enough to appreciate how well a single will do. It may fall sharply or keep bubbling at the top of the charts.

As a single it's just not nearly as strong as Bleeding Love or even Run. I am not a Leona fan, and I usually hate covers of rock song by Divas, but I really liked Run last year. By comparison, her performance of Happy was dull in my opinion.

I can't help thinking that Happy is a song by number. It's as if the label had made a list of what made Leona successful in the first place, and put it together without regard for something original. Some of Bleeding Love with some of Run, stir, add her trade-mark high notes, and there you go.
    It's not bad, but just not as good as her previous singles.

It's #4 on ITunes now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Did Syco get it wrong with the lead single or is Leona's popularity on the wane?

Syco got it very wrong with the lead single. If you listen to the album there are about 4 better choices that all would've went to #1 after an xfactor appearance, including what was a possible global #1.

#2 is not a flop by any means but it's a disappointing start IMO.
  • Options
    sinbad22uksinbad22uk Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont believe someone doesnt get anumber one and theyre a flop?

is that wot its base don these days one single?

Obviously if you look at Leon and Steve Brookstein
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you belong to the Syco stable then anything but a number one is considered a flop as far as Mr Cowell is concerned. In a recent interview I read with Alexandra Burke, she said it herself. Number two or below is simply not good enough apparently. So, yes I would imagine that in theory, Leona's single IS a flop!

Speaking of Alexandra, her album appears to be dropping down the charts like a stone. Not good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I'm not sure, it was more subtle than her previous #1s, it's still a hit, it's had good sales and should launch the album nicely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the album is was NOT written for the pop market
    it was written for her tour, the labyrinth. The big orchestra music, its almost like an OST

the beginning of the movie is a girl who 'just want to be HAPPY'

TWO things WRONG with this. Firstly its a fantasy movie and not generic and therefore going to be a hard sell

Secondly, she should have sold it from the word go
    the album cover
    the video etc

instead it got everyone doing a Rolf Harris
    "can you see what it is yet"
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    LOL, two sales threads, Tigerpaws? I thought that you stated last year that you would never ever post in the nasty sales threads?

I must admit Tigerpaws is the last person I expected to start such threads. I thought I had mixed up the posters in my head :o

I do love a good sales thread though and it all just goes to show the swings and roundabouts nature of the Xfactor forums. :)

*Grabs Popcorn...
  • Options
    rsefitpro2009rsefitpro2009 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    In fairness to be 2nd and well within the top 5 shows she is still as popular as before. The Black Eyed Peas song deserved the number 1 spot, and after how they performed it last week on The X Factor they are well worthy of that position.

I mean her popularity compared to other x factor winners such as Steve, Shayne (to a degree) and Leon puts her way above them by a distance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    for someone who isn't keen on Leona, well done for starting a bashing thread ey! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sold twice as many as a number of other #1s have already this year.

Even Cheryl at #4 sold enough to be #1 on other weeks of the year, looking at the chart positions it's silly as it's sales (and money) that matter.

Same with the album charts - Rod Stewart at #10 sold enough to #1 back in the summer
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,533
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    It sold twice as many as a number of other #1s have already this year.

Even Cheryl at #4 sold enough to be #1 on other weeks of the year, looking at the chart positions it's silly as it's sales (and money) that matter.

Same with the album charts - Rod Stewart at #10 sold enough to #1 back in the summer

I agree and therefore it can only be a disappointment for her seeing as the song is beaten by the third single of an album which has been avaliable for several months + this is the first single of an album which was yet to be avaliable and had exposure to 14m+ people with her performance on the X Factor.

Which ever way you look at it the single's placing and sales are a severe disappointment - have to wait and see what happens with the album
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chi wrote: »

To be fair I posted the thread and made the effort to make it as neutral as possible by posing a question not actually slamming Leona or proclaiming her single to be dire etc :)

The 2nd thread was a response to someones post on here :)
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    for someone who isn't keen on Leona, well done for starting a bashing thread ey! :rolleyes:

Sensitive much its hardly a bashing thread.
    Is it only ok to start a Leona sales thread when she sells shed loads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't really call it a flop. Forgive Me was a flop: it got to #5 and it was the lead single off Spirit Deluxe.

I don't think she's a particularly big singles seller. It's just a coincidence that BL, Run and AMLT went to #1. BL is one of the best songs of the decade, imo; Run was never intended as a single and AMLT was a winner's single.

Plus, the song isn't particularly great (there's better on the album - IGY in particular) and Meet Me Halfway totally deserved to be #1.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. 2 in the charts? No.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't really call it a flop. Forgive Me was a flop: it got to #5 and it was the lead single off Spirit Deluxe.

Gosh, better inform all those artists who would be thrilled to get a #5 that they would be flopping if they did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Gosh, better inform all those artists who would be thrilled to get a #5 that they would be flopping if they did.

It wasn't meant to be nasty. But her three singles before that had all got in the top 2 (and BIT was very close to being #1). So compared to them (and the fact that Forgive Me was a lead single), it was a slight flop. More of a flop than Happy, at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prasanth wrote: »
    Didn't it get to number 2? Is that classified as a flop?

It is in the eyes of Simon for Leona! I am pretty certain her last couple of songs haven't hit the top spot either and may have actually been much lower than number2!
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way. It is a shame that BEP beat her but 85k is an extremely respectable sale. It's not far off what Run did in its first week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    It is in the eyes of Simon for Leona! I am pretty certain her last couple of songs haven't hit the top spot either and may have actually been much lower than number2!

Err no lol.

A Moment Like This- #1
    Bleeding Love- #1
    Better In Time- #2
    Forgive Me- #5
    Run- #1
    Happy-#2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt say number 2 is a flop, but it does look very disappointing after all the hype she had the last time of been the best thing ever and anything she did would be a hit.

This just shows to me the song is more important than the singer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I Gotta Feeling top 10 for 16 weeks (and is still in the top 15)? Haven't left the top 10 overall since May? Boom Boom Pow + I Gotta Feeling in the top 5 best selling singles of the year?

Yes, Alex would have gotten #1 because she's a returning winner with a fantastic song and had a huge production on the show. JLS have a mountain of teenage girl fans. Leona has released a pretty dull song in the same week as the biggest group in the world, and would probably have won the chart battle if BEP's didn't appear on XF.

As for sales, well blame the song quality for that. It's no 'Bleeding Love' that's for sure.

I loved the song when i first heard it.. but i like that sort of music. I can see though that the song its self is not commercial enough to be a debut single, its not catchy enough either. There were many better options such as IGY or OMH that should of been the lead singe, her management arent good at choosing singles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

Even accounting for that, it's not a flop. Underperforming, yeah ok. Flopping? No.

Worldwide, the reaction is hugely varied. In the UK, it has had plenty of airplay and exposure and it hasn't done great. In the US, the itunes reaction has been proportionally miles better than the airplay side of things (which was a problem many fans acknowledged with the song right from the start) but without airplay singles can't be hits on the US charts (and for some reason she hasn't been over there since September). In some of her stronger European markets, it is doing very well.

I agree it hasn't been a flop overall, but it has definitively underperformed .. It has had a mixed reaction all over the world.

Girls aloud single the promise was huge but only got 77K despite being performed on xfactor... so those sales arent to bad.

Leona is a big album seller, so the song may just attract people to the album instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hitnmix wrote: »
    I wouldnt say number 2 is a flop, but it does look very disappointing after all the hype she had the last time of been the best thing ever and anything she did would be a hit.

This just shows to me the song is more important than the singer.

I agree with this to an extent.. look at cheryl

In terms of albums the singer is more important, because teens dont usually buy albums, teens dont know quality.