Options

Beat the Brain - BBC Two

Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
Hosted by John Craven, it at least freshens up the quiz format by working different mental skills. Personally, I scored best on Observation and Language, but others might well have done better on Memory.

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hosted by John Craven, it at least freshens up the quiz format by working different mental skills. Personally, I scored best on Observation and Language, but others might well have done better on Memory.

Sorry you beat me to it, you probably posted yours whilst I was searching for a thread with no result. So I posted mine.

Different perceptions of this programme though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Didn'[t know there was a new quiz starting. John Craven just about to talk about it on TOS.

Will give the first episode a watch later. No general knowledge apparently so that seems a bit different.
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed it but didn't like the unnecessary background music or the voice of the brain.

Expect I'll get used to it though.
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say, not sure the brain adds much, guess it's just to emphasise the general theme.:)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The colour pattern was too hard for me:(
    Great idea though.
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad this was flagged up on here or I wouldn't have heard about it.

I've just watched yesterday's episode on iPlayer and think it's a good concept for a quiz show without general knowledge questions. I found Language and Observation the easier rounds but struggled in Memory with the noughts and crosses game (the colour sequence was a bit easier) and both the games in the Multi-Tasking round - the on/off the bus one was a nightmare!.

I find the voice of the Brain entertaining - it's Josie Lawrence, so she should be quick with off-the-cuff banter with contestants. Overall, I liked the format and will watch today's game to see if it continues to impress. I get the feeling it may depend very much on the likeability of the participating teams and on how much the games are varied.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The colour pattern was too hard for me:(
    Great idea though.

Me too, but then, I am colourblind, so at a slight disadvantage on that one :blush:
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this on Monday! Much better than that ridiculous 1000 Heartbeats thing on ITV. I thought it was too easy for the team to win the money though. Will have to see what happens as the series progresses.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched about ten minutes of the first episode on iPlayer and gave up.

I suppose some of the questions could be interesting (the numberplate observation thing was too simple though). However the whole format with the talking brain and so on was too children's TV for me, I'm afraid.

Still it seems to appeal to some - we are all different :)
  • Options
    katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I watched about ten minutes of the first episode on iPlayer and gave up.

I suppose some of the questions could be interesting (the numberplate observation thing was too simple though). However the whole format with the talking brain and so on was too children's TV for me, I'm afraid.

Still it seems to appeal to some - we are all different :)

I lasted about ten minutes too. I do usually like this type of quiz show but I felt that i had seen this all before and dissapointingly lost interest very quickly.
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched yesterday's and found I still enjoyed it. I'm viewing it as a sort of brain-training exercise for myself; it's embarrassing how difficult I find the Multi-Tasking round. I did do a bit better than the contestant on the darts scoring game - I can do mental arithmetic but I'm just slow.
  • Options
    LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying it. I'm actually glad there is a change from the usual Q and A that all game shows struggle to make original. At least it's a stab at something different. I can't do the multitasking, and memory I'm poor at..but perhaps that is my age! I really like John Craven. I've kind of accepted that the Brain is a gimmick to ask the questions, so that doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think shows like this, University Challenge, Mastermind, Only Connect, do better with being stipped down to the basics. There is no need for all the fancy graphics or a brain/computer with pithy, smug and flirtatious comments.

When i've done apptitude test etc. in the past it's always come out as me being best concentrating on a task at a time yet in this show the multi-tasking i've found to be the easiest overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm I right in saying that at the start they say the team could walk away with £3000?

Surely that's impossible as they have to answer 8 questions and the money pot is going down?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm I right in saying that at the start they say the team could walk away with £3000?

Surely that's impossible as they have to answer 8 questions and the money pot is going down?

No. You get seconds for every question you get right in the main part of the show. If you get all your 8 questions right in the time you accumulated then you win the 3 Grand. They give you an extra 2 minutes, its when you start to get into that 2 mins that the cash goes down

So if you had 1 minute 50 seconds yourself and answered the 8 in that time you win the whole amount. If it takes you 2 mins 30 ( your time plus some of the 2 mins added ) then you get less.
  • Options
    LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I'm getting kind of into this. Some of the games are a bit too easy, but many aren't. I think they should pack more games in because actually you probably don't even need a host, you could actually just have a Brain, although I think it was clever to get John Craven since he's not devisive, he's just amiable and comfortable. I'm not sure it's doing that well...but I reckon it's a decent show that could develope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on at a funny time that I never remember to watch it live. I'm not sure it will get another series after this one. No-one seems to talk about it which is not a good sign. However, it's infinitely better than watching those smug eggheads.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm good at darts, and counting the stuff going into the cooking pot.

Awful on the traffic lights.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I like it. Its not just a run of the mill "what do you now and what can you recall" quiz - it's use your brain to observe, remember, compare, sequence, calculate, e.t.c.

You don't have to know anything about history, pop groups, football teams or anything else that doesn't interest you. Just exercise your brain.

Even the more intelligent quizzes like 'Mastermind' and 'University Challenge' rely on knowledge and recall. 'Only Connect' does to some extent, but that extends what you know into brain work.

I'm not too good on remembering a list of what I've just been told or just seen - I'd fail that part of the dementia test - so I was hopeless at remembering the sequence of colours, for instance, but great at observe, count, calculate and spot the differences.

It's a bit like the old IQ tests, now discredited as proving nothing.

I hope it proves successful, but would prefer it to be around the 8 pm time slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    It's on at a funny time that I never remember to watch it live. I'm not sure it will get another series after this one. No-one seems to talk about it which is not a good sign. However, it's infinitely better than watching those smug eggheads.
    Oh how I agree, but I condense them into the "Smugheads".

As for people not talking about it, time slot could be one reason and it's something where you have to think rather than just laugh at the answers given on shows like 'Pointless', even when you don't know the answer yourself. You can't just sit back and watch 'Beat the Brain', you automatically join in (at least I had to) and maybe that's not what the majority of viewers want.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I've watched this one! Some of it is *horrendously* hard though, for a tea time, but I've found I'm not bad at the cooking pot and the positional shapes. I am useless at the darts, because I'm slow at maths. :blush:

I think it's getting into its stride (or I'm getting used to it), and the talking flirtatious brain (which is obviously Meera Syal, isn't it?) makes me laugh.

Funny to see John Craven back at tea time though, it's like being transported back to 1975. Maybe that's why I like it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've watched this one! Some of it is *horrendously* hard though, for a tea time, but I've found I'm not bad at the cooking pot and the positional shapes. I am useless at the darts, because I'm slow at maths. :blush:

I think it's getting into its stride (or I'm getting used to it), and the talking flirtatious brain (which is obviously Meera Syal, isn't it?) makes me laugh.

Funny to see John Craven back at tea time though, it's like being transported back to 1975. Maybe that's why I like it. :D
    No, it's Josie Lawrence.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the money question (as in two handfuls of coins and whats the difference) really hard to do in a short period of time. I do like the show though, its something different, and as someone said earlier, way better than d*ckheads
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    I found the money question (as in two handfuls of coins and whats the difference) really hard to do in a short period of time.

It took me a while to twig, but in the main the coins are exactly the same apart from just one, so it's easy to home in on the difference and you don't actually have to add them all up. Although I think for maybe the third one in each set of three they mix it up a bit.

I'm still not quite clear on how the traffic lights game works. Are you supposed to count the number of sets of lights, or the number of individual ones, or what...? It's always over too quickly or me to be sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The traffic lights you have to count every individual light. If two lights (like red and amber) come on together on the same traffic light, that is two. Not one as I originally was doing - I was counting each traffic light pole that came on.