Options

The FA Cup Final - Not what it was.

davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember when the excitement about the FA Cup Final would build up for weeks and we'd all be talking about it.
We would always watch it and it was the one day of the year when you'd support another team for 90 minutes. (Except for 1970,1972 and 1973 )

Now it almost passes us by, brought on in part by endless televised games and the greed of the FA by making the semi's happen at Wembley and the kick off moved from the traditional 3pm.

I'll still watch but really it'll be just another game to watch.

Comments

• Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was built up for weeks mainly because there was so little "live" football on TV. A "Event" will always be looked forward to something more then something that is on TV all time.

Are you saying we should cut back on the amount of football on TV?
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    The FA haven't exactly helped themselves either, first they moved the final to before the end of the season, then have messed about with the kickoff times, should be 3pm, but no, now 5.30pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have not the viewing figures gone up with the Kick Off being 5:30?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see the semis going back to being played at neutral grounds like OT and Villa Park. It'd bring back a unique edge to the competition. England friendlies could also benefit from this but it's clearly not in the financial interests of the FA.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Every single year like clockwork this thread pops up.

The Cup final is still great. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Every single year like clockwork this thread pops up.

The Cup final is still great. I'm looking forward to it.

I agree. Its not what it was because it ISN'T what it was - an unusual live game on tv. Now you have 20 live games a week to choose from from the cream of world football.

There are a few tweaks that could be made but the final is still a good spectacle.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this year they have recaptured some of the old FA Cup spirit. I agree the kick-off should have retuned to the traditional 3pm, but aside from that it does feel like "FA Cup Saturday".
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not what it was. But it's still got a special charm.

We're having a gathering today, but have actually put back our plans for this evening by a couple of hours just so we can all meet at the pub first to watch the game.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Its not what it was because it ISN'T what it was - an unusual live game on tv. Now you have 20 live games a week to choose from from the cream of world football.

There are a few tweaks that could be made but the final is still a good spectacle.

Agree - it is no longer special. You can see similar matches week in week out, and could have probably seen Arsenal and Aston Villa live 20+ times this season between them. There are 11 live matches on TV today alone, if you count the Toulon tournament, some end of season friendlies, women's football and MLS.

I have never really liked the FA cup final, not because of what it is, but I associate it with being the end of the football season and there being nothing on telly until mid-August!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this year they have recaptured some of the old FA Cup spirit. I agree the kick-off should have retuned to the traditional 3pm, but aside from that it does feel like "FA Cup Saturday".

Good to see the BBC making some effort this year with the build-up now that they have the TV rights back in their rightful place. Of course it won't be the same as the 70s and 80s given the changes to football and the media since then but this is much better than what ITV have been doing recently.

Anyway, I'm off to watch the cricket until kick-off.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member

^^This. Well said!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's silverware and bragging rights no matter who wins it, It is those that dismiss it and try to belittle it that are wrong with football, I feel the same about the europa league, Football clubs are there to win things and these are there to be won.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having the semis at Wembley takes away the excitement of making the final to an extent

Also The kick off time should be 3:00 as that is the traditional time
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Having the semis at Wembley takes away the excitement of making the final to an extent

I hate the semi-finals being at Wembley (though I understand the financial reasons for it)

However, despite it being against tradition, I'm fine with the 5:30 kickoff. Some traditions need to change with the times. I don't think that many people would want to see the return of the FA Cup Final replay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Tradition is not a good enough reason for doing something.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    The kick off time is a moot point. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal to me. It's more important that it's the final game of the domestic season than when it kicks off. If a 5.30 kick off gets in more viewers then it's no bad thing.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I hate the semi-finals being at Wembley (though I understand the financial reasons for it)

However, despite it being against tradition, I'm fine with the 5:30 kickoff. Some traditions need to change with the times. I don't think that many people would want to see the return of the FA Cup Final replay.

I wouldn't mind, I still remember Arsenal winning the last one to be played. Replays should be for every round or none at all.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it's a sign of how diminished it is that as I sit here now I can't remember who was in last year's Final........it just doesn't appear significant enough now to remember

When I was a kid I could have rattled off the previous 20 Cup Finals, the teams, the scores, the scorers

oh well, I guess times change

I'm watching the cricket..........I'll flick over when the cricket finishes and catch the last 20 minutes to see who wins. But I doubt I'll remember who it is in a years time
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is spot on. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be a good idea to move the semi finals to the Millennium Stadium when the current Wembley deal ends?

It's a fantastic venue which deserves more high profile games being played there.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be a good idea to move the semi finals to the Millennium Stadium when the current Wembley deal ends?

It's a fantastic venue which deserves more high profile games being played there.

Hold the game in Wales when we have Wembley that's held two Cl finals already? The final is held at it's rightful and correct place.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I guess it's a sign of how diminished it is that as I sit here now I can't remember who was in last year's Final........it just doesn't appear significant enough now to remember

When I was a kid I could have rattled off the previous 20 Cup Finals, the teams, the scores, the scorers

oh well, I guess times change

I'm watching the cricket..........I'll flick over when the cricket finishes and catch the last 20 minutes to see who wins. But I doubt I'll remember who it is in a years time

What an odd post.

You can't remember who was in last year's final? I'll give you a clue, one of today's finalists were last year's winners. As for your great recollection of times gone by, when you was a kid you cared about the cup, now maybe you don't. It has nothing to do with diminishing quality, it's your diminishing factual recall and interest.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Millenium Stadium is a cracking venue (preferable to Wembley IMO) but the semis should be in England. We've got enough perfectly good stadia to host them, and without having to use Wembley either.

I actually really enjoyed the build-up on BBC this year, much more like how things used to be.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    supertalk wrote: »
    What an odd post.

You can't remember who was in last year's final? I'll give you a clue, one of today's finalists were last year's winners. As for your great recollection of times gone by, when you was a kid you cared about the cup, now maybe you don't. It has nothing to do with diminishing quality, it's your diminishing factual recall and interest.

Not really.......I think it's more to do with the fact that there is live football on pretty much every day and each match is no longer a big event because there'll be another one tomorrow

I suppose it's similar to boxing........years ago I could have named the world heavyweight champion because there was only one at a time. Now there appears to be dozens and I can't name any of them

dilution of the product leading to loss of interest
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that there was another three other finals on the same day (German, Scottish and currently Spanish) does dilute the "specialness" of our own Cup final.

Once upon a time it was the only final on the telly, now it has to share the headlines with the other finals.