Trouble with landlord

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know anything about bank affairs.

We are renting a house at the moment and looking for one to buy hopefully at the beginning of next year.

The landlord has always been fine, never bothered us, however recently there was a rent increase so we asked for a new standing order form so we could change the amount at the bank.

He came round with two copies of the form, asked us to fill them in and give them back to him. Now I know this is wrong we take the form to our bank, he obviously knows this, so why ask for the forms back, also why the need for two copies.

I don't know why I am so worried, I just think he is up to something, I haven't been able to sleep for worry. I don't want to query him incase he asks us to leave.

Comments

• MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a number of direct debits and standing orders on my bank account, but I don't recall ever having submitted them to the bank myself. I'm sure that the business requiring the money does this. He may have asked for 2 copies to save him from having to make a photocopy. A phonecall to your bank will confirm any standing orders or direct debits set-up and they can also be cancelled in an instant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps he's had trouble with other people who have then said it's not their fault they handed the standing orders in. He may just be trying to cover his bases, standing orders can be cancelled by you if there is a problem.
  • smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, from his point of view, he just wants to make sure he gets his money - you as the tenant have no real incentive to priorotise handing in the form, but he does.

Practically speaking, what could he actually do with the form anyway? It contains your bank details and your signature, but I assume as your landlord he already has access to this if he was plotting something. I wouldn't worry - unless you have other reasons to cause your instincts to jangle.