Sky Ashes Coverge (cricket)

Comments

• jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice.

As I can see the whole of "Bat" and am only missing the "B" of "Bowl" I think I'm only missing such a tiny bit that I'll leave it.

That's what I had under the normal 16:9 display before I changed it to full HD. Nice to have a little bit more picture to look at in any case.
    I suspect Sky will adjust it just as they did with SSN.

It obviously needs to go across slightly for almost all viewers.

They've removed it for the last few minutes so that's what they must be doing.
  • scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Why do Sky have a monitor in their commentary box that seems to just be pointing out that Michael Holding is third man in the commentary box?

They always do, even in home Tests.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your further advice.

The only other possibility I can see in my Menu is "Picture Overscan".

I've got it "On". If I switch it to "Off" I get a nasty blank blue bar below the scorebar. I definitely don't want that so am keeping it at "On".
  • uk_xtremeuk_xtreme Posts: 338
    Forum Member

I've got it "On". If I switch it to "Off" I get a nasty blank blue bar below the scorebar. I definitely don't want that so am keeping it at "On".

Uhh that's the full picture. Ie you are always chopping off that all the way round otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uk_xtreme wrote: »
    Uhh that's the full picture. Ie you are always chopping off that all the way round otherwise.

Thanks but this confuses me.

Why would anyone want quite a wide blank blue bar below the scorebar? I would find that massively irritating.

As it is I have a narrow blank bar below the scorebar (approx 50% of the width of the scorebar).
    Forum Member

Yeah, that's what it is. Sky know that the majority of viewers have a bit of overscan so have the scoreline a little bit up the screen. But if you can see the blue/black bar below that, your TV is giving you the full picture on all sides.

It's only cricket and the news channels which use a on-screen bar at the bottom of the screen, with all other programmes you're getting a little bit more of the picture. With the cricket the scorebar disappears for replays and other non-live coverage. Nothing massive, all in all, but I like having as much picture as possible.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could see "BAT" and "OWL" on my tv till I shifted the horizontalness of it. That was on HD 1.

Personally though just set the bloody graphics to 16:9 and stop messing about with safe areas and all that junk!

It's about time. Can't seriously be too many people left with with sky who have 4:3 tv sets! Then they could fit it all in simple, no problem! :p
    Forum Member
    Personally just set the bloody graphics to 16:9 and stop messing about with safe areas and all that junk!

Rant over! :p It's about time though. Can't seriously be too many people left with with sky who have 4:3 tv sets!

I agree, but even some HD TVs have a certain amount of overscan, if the right option isn't selected, as discussed previously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what it is. Sky know that the majority of viewers have a bit of overscan so have the scoreline a little bit up the screen. But if you can see the blue/black bar below that, your TV is giving you the full picture on all sides.

It's only cricket and the news channels which use a on-screen bar at the bottom of the screen, with all other programmes you're getting a little bit more of the picture. With the cricket the scorebar disappears for replays and other non-live coverage. Nothing massive, all in all, but I like having as much picture as possible.

OK, thanks for all your help.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    I agree, but even some HD TVs have a certain amount of overscan, if the right option isn't selected, as discussed previously.

But if all the broadcasters set there graphics into 16:9 maybe people would realise they are set up wrong. Particular pubs across the country who quite often get big tv's then keep a 4:3 picture. :cool:
    Forum Member
    For any interested viewers, I've uploaded a quick image on how much space I gained by changing my display mode. This of course will differ from make to make and model to model.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4451/hdoverscan.jpg
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leave it off! Also means your TV (assuming its 1920 x 1080) isn't rescaling the picture. You'll soon learn to ignore the darker colour bar at the bottom and you get extra picture around the edges.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if anyone else around the world will be taking Sky's coverage instead of the 9 Network's commentary? Or even will NZ or other countries take their own commentary teams?

Also, I take it SSN isn't going live during the night to cover the cricket? Seems a bit weird you hear nothing on there till BANG 6am
  • Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Sky Player about 100 seconds delay.
    Just watched the dropped catch twice!
  • uk_xtremeuk_xtreme Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if anyone else around the world will be taking Sky's coverage instead of the 9 Network's commentary? Or even will NZ or other countries take their own commentary teams?

Also, I take it SSN isn't going live during the night to cover the cricket? Seems a bit weird you hear nothing on there till BANG 6am

I'd assume ESPN Asia / star sports are taking the sky feed. Anyone with news corporation connections
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of not wanting to show Mark Nicholas etc, here he is on some Classic Sky Sports!

Just seen Nicholas' Wikipedia page - someone's been meddling with it!!
    Mark Charles Jefford Nicholas (born 29 September 1957) is a pompous popinjay who despite never playing test cricket feels amply qualified to pontificate on all things concerning the game played at the highest level, he played largely unremarkably for Hampshire from 1978 to 1995, captaining them from 1985 to his retirement.

Poor remark but funny! :D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I've noticed on the Sky Sports coverage is how much they've been cutting to the wide-angle full shot of the Gabba; is this the shot they cut to to obscure Channel 9 graphics or something like that?

In fact, how much of Sky's coverage is their own and how much is stemming from the Channel 9 facilities and feed?
  • djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats just like Fox Sports News when the Ashes was played in the UK their last live bulletin is at 11pm and then their next is at 6am in the morning. When the channel first started they were airing Sky Sports News live during this period although that only lasted a few months before they decided to drop it and go with a continues loop of local stories overnight instead
  • djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd assume ESPN Asia / star sports are taking the sky feed. Anyone with news corporation connections

Fox Sports is showing 2 hours of highlights tonight at 10pm and repeated again at 7am, Fox Sports News has been using a clean channel 9 feed for their highlights they have been showing, so I think it is very doubtful they will be using Sky Sports feed
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting aside any bias aside as to which team you are following ( which commentators should be doing ) , compare the Aussie commentary below to David Gowers oh so boring description of the hat trick on sky sports this morning.........this is one of the reasons why some of us prefer Channel 9 - they are much more dramatic and convey the excitement of the game much more than Sky's team.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/cricket/

Click on the News Snipper on Right hand side.
  • arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member

ESPNStar's sister channel Star Cricket which is broadcasting the Ashes in the sub continent is using Channel 9 feed
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    Putting aside any bias aside as to which team you are following ( which commentators should be doing ) , compare the Aussie commentary below to David Gowers oh so boring description of the hat trick on sky sports this morning.........this is one of the reasons why some of us prefer Channel 9 - they are much more dramatic and convey the excitement of the game much more than Sky's team.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/cricket/

Click on the News Snipper on Right hand side.

Sky's coverage of the hattrick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfyvMxYb_0A&feature=player_embedded

Channel 9s coverage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf9onVtHGlM&feature=player_embedded
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No contest isnt it !

Gower is so boring comparing to Mark Taylor........
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No contest isnt it !

Channel Nine wins every time for me, I don't have Sky Sports so had to settle for an online stream last night, got the channel nine coverage and it was excellent.

I’ve also noticed sky sports have free to view highlights on their website, it was only about 2 ½ mins long so nothing exciting, but cricketaustralia. tv has about 4 mins worth of highlights, they also have individual session highlights with about 1 ½ mins for the final session. Also, no regional restrictions as to who can watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No contest isnt it !

No,

The Channel 9 Hat-Trick screech from Mark Taylor was just bloody Australian Bias shouting and he was going crazy before the actual decision was given... all rolled into one, utter lunacy.

That is me being a Scottish Neutral, and don't care who wins etc.

I also Know Channel 9 lean to Australia, and Sky lean towards England but Channel 9 just screeching away, bloody joke. I do rate some of the Channel 9 team highly same for Sky..
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No contest isnt it !

Whats wrong with Gowers commentary? Nice and controlled description of the events. Taylor? Had to be told about 7 times to calm down by Nicholas because it was obviously going to be referred.

Commentators are paid to inform the viewer (expertly) of what is going on, on the pitch. Not shout and scream like Fans. Do you watch Premier League games with Fan Zone on by any chance?