BB9-Any likable characters?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching the BB9 launch night right now and wow I really hate just about everybody going in. They all just seem like first-week evictees, bar maybe Mario and Lisa.
    Please tell me some of these work out..

The potential of a house divide was already a possibility within the first 2 weeks because of the existences of the Luxury Bedroom & B-Block. But trust me, BB9 gets interesting in Week 3 when that house divide is confirmed to viewers because of an incident that is known as Picturegate/Spitgate.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TonyVanDam wrote: »
    The potential of a house divide was already a possibility within the first 2 weeks because of the existences of the Luxury Bedroom & B-Block. But trust me, BB9 gets interesting in Week 3 when that house divide is confirmed to viewers because of an incident that is known as Picturegate/Spitgate.
    "Confirmed" presupposes that it was the same divide, which is questionable. Dale was in the B-Block bedroom, for example. Kat and Rachel weren't. Mario's role during the incident didn't go with his bedroom. And so on. Besides, there was more a 3-way division than a 2-way one.

Also, I don't think the divide made BB9 interesting, though week 3 itself may have been.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Steph, Lisa, Rachel and a 2 certain newcomers (which i wont say to ruin... one female, and one male, the male to much of peoples annoyance)

Wait from Week 2-3... a certain event turns a lot of things around, and a massive divide is born :)
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. BB9 is the best series ever filled with the most magnificent hm's.

You can watch Mario and Lisa eat custard creams in bed. If that doesn't float your boat then Mario's health and safety lectures surely will.
    Watch the charismatic and higly entertaining Mo eat someones bogey for a tin of beer.
    You'll be gripped by Rachel's fascinating convo's about grapes and chickpeas.
    If you love music then your in for a treat with Rachel and her best freind singing Happy House 150 times a day.
    You'll be laughing your socks off at the sight of a 30 year old woman acting like a 2 year old girl.
    Darnell will warm the cockles of your heart with his wonderfully upbeat personality and outlook on life. That guy is the life and soul of every party.
    You'll love watching the utterly charmimg Dennis spit in the face of Mo.
    Even better is seeing the delightful Alex threaten a fellow hm with gun violence when they got outside.
    All that and i haven't even mentioned the amazingly entertaining trio of Jen, Dale and Stu.

At the end of it all you'll be wondering how on earth such a great cast and series was the biggest ratings flop of the first 9 years.

As Hughie Green would say...i mean that most sincerely folks!
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother 9 is my all-time favourite ... and a fantastic winner! I won't say who though, don't worry :)

Not only my favourite winner, but my favourite BB contestant EVER!

But what could have been the greatest BB moment ever was ruined by the sheer nastiness and bitterness from the majority of the rest of the HMs and by Davina herself.
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    Not only my favourite winner, but my favourite BB contestant EVER!

But what could have been the greatest BB moment ever was ruined by the sheer nastiness and bitterness from the majority of the rest of the HMs and by Davina herself.

I have to say that I'm afraid this just didnt happen

I dont understand people liking the bland and somewhat pathetic Rachel... but I am even more mystified by the assertion that she was treated badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm afraid this just didnt happen

I dont understand people liking the bland and somewhat pathetic Rachel... but I am even more mystified by the assertion that she was treated badly.

To the OP - don't read any further if you don't want to be spoiled.

To Damanda - You can see examples of Rachel's unfair treatment on this clip:

http://www.bigbroweb.co.uk/big-brother-9/rachel-rice-is-winner-of-big-brother-2008.aspx

- Some of the HMs were trying to encourage the crowd to boo. (10 seconds in)
    - Luke couldn't resist another dig about Rachel "being in it for the money". (7:12 minutes in)
    - Davina did not look happy during Rachel's interview.
    - Davina's questions just more or less consisted of, "This person said this about you. That person said that about you."

Also, during that night's BBBM, which I don't have a clip of, when Davina asked the audience if they thought Rachel was a worthy winner, she went straight to the HMs who had always called her, (so it was obvious that they would say no). And most infamously, she asked Rachel if she was going to share her money with the other HMs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    "Confirmed" presupposes that it was the same divide, which is questionable. Dale was in the B-Block bedroom, for example. Kat and Rachel weren't. Mario's role during the incident didn't go with his bedroom. And so on. Besides, there was more a 3-way division than a 2-way one.

Also, I don't think the divide made BB9 interesting, though week 3 itself may have been.

I was trying my best to NOT being a spoiler, for StephenKurtzke1's sakes! :eek: :D
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP - don't read any further if you don't want to be spoiled.

To Damanda - You can see examples of Rachel's unfair treatment on this clip:

http://www.bigbroweb.co.uk/big-brother-9/rachel-rice-is-winner-of-big-brother-2008.aspx

- Some of the HMs were trying to encourage the crowd to boo. (10 seconds in)
    - Luke couldn't resist another dig about Rachel "being in it for the money". (7:12 minutes in)
    - Davina did not look happy during Rachel's interview.
    - Davina's questions just more or less consisted of, "This person said this about you. That person said that about you."

Also, during that night's BBBM, which I don't have a clip of, when Davina asked the audience if they thought Rachel was a worthy winner, she went straight to the HMs who had always called her, (so it was obvious that they would say no). And most infamously, she asked Rachel if she was going to share her money with the other HMs.

We musn't forget Davina's outright lies at the final either about how Rachel was a totally different person in the diary room to how she was in the house. Guess she thought that might lose Rachel some votes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We musn't forget Davina's outright lies at the final either about how Rachel was a totally different person in the diary room to how she was in the house. Guess she thought that might lose Rachel some votes.

Yes, and that. (At 5:15 for Damanda).

And here at 1:16 - http://www.bigbroweb.co.uk/big-brother-9/mike-gets-the-davina-treatment.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Rachel did seem more opinionated in the DR.. it always seemed to me that she was 'on stage' in there.... actually Sophie Read was very similar also IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and that. (At 5:15 for Damanda).

And here at 1:16 - http://www.bigbroweb.co.uk/big-brother-9/mike-gets-the-davina-treatment.aspx

Its how you see it, I see no bad treatment at all... none. And no one ever shows me any.
    In fact I think she got off light for being such a dreary bore and dripping her insincerity everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its how you see it, I see no bad treatment at all... none. And no one ever shows me any.
    In fact I think she got off light for being such a dreary bore and dripping her insincerity everywhere.

If this isn't bad treatment, then please tell me what is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xagxd5_heaven-housemates-bitch-about-rache

The behaviour in that clip is disgusting. And the fact that they're obviously enjoying and getting off on bitching and bullying her makes it even worse. I can't watch that clip without feeling angry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this isn't bad treatment, then please tell me what is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xagxd5_heaven-housemates-bitch-about-rache

The behaviour in that clip is disgusting. And the fact that they're obviously enjoying and getting off on bitching and bullying her makes it even worse. I can't watch that clip without feeling angry.

I've no idea why you are angry.
    First of all we were discussing Davina alleged attacking rachel and trying to lose her votes.... it's just not true IMO.
    So here the HMs are bitching about her..... so what, it happened in that house to all of them.
    Bullying her?... there is no bullying.
    But it seems to me that you like her so much that you are infuriated by people saying they dont.
    So I dont think we can get to a point of agreeing to disagree as I thought she was awful... I wish they had swapped her for Scrable.
  • -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, where can you watch this?
    (I wanna watch it againnn) :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all we were discussing Davina alleged attacking rachel and trying to lose her votes.... it's just not true IMO.
    So here the HMs are bitching about her..... so what, it happened in that house to all of them.

It may very well have happened to most of the BB9 HMs, but my point is that you asked for evidence for bad treatment towards Rachel, but it's only now that I realise you meant from Davina. I wish that there were clips online, but take it from me - the two times that Rachel was up for eviction before the final; when the crowd booed when Davina said her name, Davina gave a knowing look at them and laughed. Also, during BBBM, a few days before the final, Davina gave a list of each of the finalist's names, but when it came to Rachel, she said, "The girl with the high forehead". If you don't think that's bad treatment and that it's how you see it, then fair enough. Each to their own. But there's a lot of people that agree with me; some of them aren't even Rachel fans.
    But it seems to me that you like her so much that you are infuriated by people saying they dont.

Not at all. If you don't like her, then you don't like her. Some think she was boring and fake, others like myself loved how she was always so positive and compassionate and how she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself or for anyone else in the house. That's just the way it goes and nobody can change that.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it now. :)
    Sorry, where can you watch this?
    (I wanna watch it againnn)

Actually, that is a point. Where can you watch it again?
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when the crowd booed when Davina said her name, Davina gave a knowing look at them and laughed.

To be honest, Davina was the ringleader of the booing in later series

She always managed to get the pot stirred up for the hate figure of that particular week

I remember the days of BB3 when she told that mob not to boo

At least Dermot had the good sense to knock the booing on the head in Hijack, when it came to Emilia

Near the end of the run though, that mob would just boo anything from start to finish and Davina did sweet FA about it

One of the main factors of the show's downfall IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, that is a point. Where can you watch it again?

At Blackthorne Lodge lol :)

Rachel is running the London Marathon to raise money for St Anne's Hospice and everyone who sponsors her will be entered into a prize drawer. The prize is a short break at Blackthorne Lodge - a newly converted holiday let in a rural village in South Wales where Rachel spent a lot of her childhood.

It was featured as a barn on BBLB in 2009 when Leo Kern interviewed her. If a BB fan wins the short break they can also have access to my full dvd collection of BB9 highlight programmes (day 1 to 93), diary room uncut and lots of live footage and clips of her or about her on the spin off shows (2008-2010). :)
  • SpecialFriedSpecialFried Posts: 3,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bullying her?... there is no bullying.
    So I dont think we can get to a point of agreeing to disagree as I thought she was awful... I wish they had swapped her for Scrable.

Considering it's spelt "Scrabble", that may not have done much for you either.
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaycee6 wrote: »
    At Blackthorne Lodge lol :)

Rachel is running the London Marathon to raise money for St Anne's Hospice and everyone who sponsors her will be entered into a prize drawer. The prize is a short break at Blackthorne Lodge - a newly converted holiday let in a rural village in South Wales where Rachel spent a lot of her childhood.

It was featured as a barn on BBLB in 2009 when Leo Kern interviewed her. If a BB fan wins the short break they can also have access to my full dvd collection of BB9 highlight programmes (day 1 to 93), diary room uncut and lots of live footage and clips of her or about her on the spin off shows (2008-2010). :)

Do I win a chest to go with the 'Drawer'
    :D
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the booing went too far by that stage (by series 8 actually), but it's interesting that Davina was encouraging it, but then IMMEDIATELY stopped when Nadia got booed during her interview in UBB, notice from that moment onwards, everyone was cheered. (maybe because she was Davina's fave HM ever?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering it's spelt "Scrabble", that may not have done much for you either.

or should it be spelled?

I've no idea and i don't care but correcting spelling and typos is ... well, the sort of thing the prissy and phoney Rachel would do. IMO :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or should it be spelled?

I've no idea and i don't care but correcting spelling and typos is ... well, the sort of thing the prissy and phoney Rachel would do. IMO :)

Rachel is a teacher - so isn't the correction of spelling and typos in her job description?

Surely standards haven't yet slipped so far that any sort of correction of mistakes is perceived as 'prissy'?

Or then again - maybe they have ... :eek:
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some think she was boring and fake, others like myself loved how she was always so positive and compassionate and how she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself or for anyone else in the house.

All perfectly fine traits to have, but there's absolutely nothing there that many, many other hm's over the years didn't have, but they did not come anyhwere near winning and also did not deserve to come anywhere near winning.
    The fact that someone like Rachel won a series says much more about that particular series than it does about Rachel as a hm.

Imho, the reason why Davina was against Rachel is that she could probably sense that the final nail in BB's coffin had been nailed in when someone like her can win BB. EVERYONE knew that game was up after BB9 and Rachel somehow becoming central to that series was a significant factor for it being another disaster for BB.
    I can fully understand why Davina held a grude against someone who hepled kill off a show that she had given her heart and soul to for a decade.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    All perfectly fine traits to have, but there's absolutely nothing there that many, many other hm's over the years didn't have, but they did not come anyhwere near winning and also did not deserve to come anywhere near winning.
    The fact that someone like Rachel won a series says much more about that particular series than it does about Rachel as a hm.

Imho, the reason why Davina was against Rachel is that she could probably sense that the final nail in BB's coffin had been nailed in when someone like her can win BB. EVERYONE knew that game was up after BB9 and Rachel somehow becoming central to that series was a significant factor for it being another disaster for BB.
    I can fully understand why Davina held a grude against someone who hepled kill off a show that she had given her heart and soul to for a decade.

See thats where Davina and co missed a trick, they should have been celebrating the fact that someone like Rachel could go on BB and WIN, someone who was a normal everyday girl, who loved Big Brother and who gave her all in the tasks.Someone who was thrilled to be there, kind, caring,tolerant and determined to be herself and not fall in with the crowd.
    She was fun and upbeat, she took a beating verbally from the others for not lowering herself to their level, she was bullied and set upon by a lot of the others, even those she thought of as friends, she was loyal and had her own agenda, which was to be herself no matter what.
    She was not seeking fame or fortune from her appearance on there....she simply wanted to live the experience and go back to her life which was full and rewarding, and thats exactly what she did.
    Unlike many others before and after who went on there to seek fame, even the Z list kind of fame she shunned the nuts mags etc because she wanted to be able to continue in her chosen career of teaching, which she has done, now to me I think ''people like her are what BB should have been about, not throwing in a mish mash of people who have insecurities and difficult likestyles to showcase, not people who just wanted to get in a showmance and then hang around for years not having any talent except getting pi**ed up in clubs etc.
    The reason BB has failed is because of people like Davina, who constantly try to shove showmance down our throats and big up all the fakery and turn it into soap opera style trash, not the taking part and winning of a lovely lass like Rachel who after all thanks to the voting public....stuck it right up the rear of Davina and her crew for trying to fool everyone in their fake scenarios, Davina and production did their upmost to bring her down in the publics eye and we were having none of it, best ever winner of BB and the most satisfying one too imo.