BBC executives at one studio 'spending more than £1,000 a day on taxis'

Comments

• Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    ok I should have put a ;) smilie on it.

Seriously now, there is no reason the BBC has to pay the full amount, if a taxi is a good method of getitng someone to a studio, split the bill, or have the taxis pick up from the nearest underground, you cant tell me people in London dont use the tube.

*wishes Peterborough had Boris Bike*

BBC News: "Can you come in so we can interview you on X?"
    Me: "Sure. Can you pick me up from my house?"
    BBC: "Well, you'll have to pay half the taxi fare."
    Me:"Sod that."

Next: People criticising BBC News for airing a one sided story and not having a guest to tell the viewers what is going on.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »

Next: People criticising BBC News for airing a one sided story and not having a guest to tell the viewers what is going on.
    it maybe the right thing to do in some situtions, but I dont think it should be the default.

Also the arguement falls apart outside of BBC News.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously now, there is no reason the BBC has to pay the full amount, if a taxi is a good method of getitng someone to a studio, split the bill, or have the taxis pick up from the nearest underground, you cant tell me people in London dont use the tube.

We don't use the tube at 3am, no. Why should I foot the bill when I've been kept at work until that late and I'm expected back there at 10?

It's not the standard method of getting to work, but in TV we often end up working unusual hours, and our employers have a responsibility to make sure we get home safely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    We don't use the tube at 3am, no. Why should I foot the bill when I've been kept at work until that late and I'm expected back there at 10?
    other jobs do that of course, and that is an example of a sitution where a taxi maybe the best option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    other jobs do that of course, and that is an example of a sitution where a taxi maybe the best option.

Well, then, why are you arguing with it?
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    I once saw a single camera news person arrive at an incident, first thing they did was book a taxi to take the first tape back to the nearest BBC studio for the next edition of the news.

Anyone care to come up with a cheaper, faster alternative to a taxi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    I once saw a single camera news person arrive at an incident, first thing they did was book a taxi to take the first tape back to the nearest BBC studio for the next edition of the news.

apart from sending the footage over the web, actually I cant.

I would really like for there to be another option.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any transport provided has to be agreed by the HMRC or it will classed as a benefit and taxed.

Many companies provide buses for staff finishing after public transport has finished but in a large city that might not be practical because everyone lives in a different direction.

Not all the people being taken by taxi will be multi-millionaire newspaper columnists in for an interview, many will be fairly low paid staff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not all the people being taken by taxi will be multi-millionaire newspaper columnists in for an interview, many will be fairly low paid staff.

Indeed. Sadly, I'm one of the latter...
  • Options
    The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member

Sure how much are you going to pay me

We're already paying you to come in. Do you think we're loaded like the taxpayer funded BBC ?

Fine we'll get someone else who wants to get paid and doesn't wish to take the mick.

There famous for it, well apart from those who are from a certain political wave length, the BBC's
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they are on their own with no satellite truck on scene then a taxi or motorcycle seems the most effective way. If he was on his own then he has perhaps been called out straight from home, if ran the tape in himself then he could miss something later.

A newspaper photographer might do the same if he not have a decent mobile connection though they seem to often sit in the warm back on their office and lift a picture off the TV news (whilst moaning about the BBC costs!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    A newspaper photographer might do the same if he not have a decent mobile connection though they seem to often sit in the warm back on their office and lift a picture off the TV news (whilst moaning about the BBC costs!).
    that sounds like alot more effort than the Peterborough ET goes to, the ET will soon take a rubbish picture from a window of its city centre building, then send someone to take a proper photo.

I can not tell you the number of times, ive seen photos that have cleary been taken from the office window on the front page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure how much are you going to pay me

Do politicians or guest experts get paid to be interviewed on BBC news?

The BBC, like any other broadcaster, pay guests on chat shows, quizzes etc but I know that any diva who demands her dressing room be painted white and filled with puppies or whatever has the cost of doing so deducted from their fee.

So they could pay someone £100 and pay £10 for a taxi or pay someone £110 and nothing else. End cost to the BBC is the same, except no "OMG! BBC spend money on taxis!" story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do politicians or guest experts get paid to be interviewed on BBC news?
    politicians dont get paid, I know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it maybe the right thing to do in some situtions, but I dont think it should be the default.

Also the arguement falls apart outside of BBC News.

No, it is absolutely common for any business that when you ask someone to work somewhere other than their usual place of work than you pay their traveling expenses.

You work in a factory, office or shop then you chose where to live and take commuting time and cost into account, and you pay for it.
    Your boss wants you to go to Leeds for a meeting then they pay.
    When the BBC want cast and crew to go to some location miles away for one day they pay the traveling expenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Politicians do get paid and get a lot on expenses too which covers their Public Relation exercises like being interviewed. Please try denying that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politicians do get paid and get a lot on expenses too which covers their Public Relation exercises like being interviewed. Please try denying that :D
    they dont get paid by the BBC, however yes there is MPs expenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it is absolutely common for any business that when you ask someone to work somewhere other than their usual place of work than you pay their traveling expenses.

I think it's also fair when you're asking people to work well outside normal working hours...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then to me it seems perfectly fair and reasonable for the BBC to pay for a taxi for them to get there. (Leaving aside the folly of moving BBC news from the centre of London out to White City making MPs have to travel more.)
    Your guest arrives on time and relaxed and ready to be interviewed. Not late, frazzeled after spending half an hour finding a parking space and soaked from the rain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know if MPs get expenses.

I just know that after the last election Limpick Opik said that he can now be paid for appearing on the BBC, during his preformance on Have I Got News For You, I assume MPs didnt get paid ANYTNING by the BBC.

Talking to the media is part of a MPs job, and can be claimed for from MPs Expenses.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    BBC executives at one studio 'spending more than £1,000 a day on taxis

I frankly don't care about this non-story. This is just a bit of anti-BBC stirring from the usual biased fruitloops at the Daily Telegraph.

If it's necessary to get actors, directors and executives to and from venues in the necessary pursuit of their work* then I'm not remotely bothered by this attempted muck-raking by the Telegraph.

*This is, after all, BBC Wales, where they produce good stuff including Dr Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures where travel is required to and from assorted locations.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to be honest the use of taxis is something that seems strange to me. Cant people drive themselves to work? or pay for there own taxi. I am sure they are being paid enough to.

A runner working in Central London will barely be earning enough to pay their rent, and certainly couldn't afford to run their own car.

Bikes are usually faster and cheaper. But a lot of companies don't operate bikes at weekends, or after 6pm.
    apart from sending the footage over the web, actually I cant.

The web is sometimes cheaper, but right now, it's definitely not faster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I frankly don't care about this non-story. This is just a bit of anti-BBC stirring from the usual biased fruitloops at the Daily Telegraph.

This one of the reasons I'll never understand BBC supporters. If its a non story why do you guys have to keep jumping in the threads to say it :confused: Surly it is a story because you've had to do this and add the usual "anti-BBC" stuff.
    If it's necessary to get actors, directors and executives to and from venues in the necessary pursuit of their work* then I'm not remotely bothered by this attempted muck-raking by the Telegraph.

Bet the Telegraph staff get to work by either public transport or their own vehicle :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The web is sometimes cheaper, but right now, it's definitely not faster.

Business have access to 1000mbit connections these days and I'm betting the BBC has them. I think you'll find sending footage this way is faster, trust me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Business have access to 1000mbit connections these days and I'm betting the BBC has them. I think you'll find sending footage this way is faster, trust me ;)
    if it isnt now, it could well be in even a few years time.