LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 23)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could have the other resident film expert Steve Allen. He could talk us through all his favourite films featuring Christmas and/or Margaret Rutherford (did you know she couldn't remember her lines when she got old?)!

We got several ticks on our SA Bingo sheet this morning - child beauty pageants, coconut water, healthy eating!

Morning all. :)

Banana Ice Cream and bloody Pear lollies - In my boredom, I stated to count how many times SA said pear ice lollies - it was 20 times in about 30 seconds..... I then fell asleep. :yawn:
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Joined by resident film expert James Hartigan!! We all remember those tense exchanges between The Max and Hartigan.... JH still writes blogs on the website for the LBC Film Club - I wonder if anyone reads them?

I remember those exchanges well!! So agog listening to them being bitchy to each other I never remembered the films they discussed!! Never even knew JH blogged.
    One day people will just stop talking to each other and instead blog and post and tweet and email.............

One of my favourite 15 minutes on Saturday mornings was Steve Jones and Roger Katz the ex-manager of Hatchards book shop. Roger was a delight and a fount of knowledge for everybody who loved reading. And was very very popular.
    LBC is almost sterile today compared with what it used to be.

I couldn't resist this!!!! Thank you Wikipedia - some fabulous memories here!!

Past LBC presenters include: Adrian Allen; Carol Allen; Dominic Allen; Mike Allen; Toby Anstis; Dickie Arbiter; Tre Azam; Phillip Bacon; Bill Bailey; David Bassett; *Jeni Barnett ; Simon Bates; Jeremy Beadle; Alison Bell; Bill Bingham; Therese Birch; Frank Bough; Tommy Boyd; Gyles Brandreth; Bill Buckley; Paul Callan; Douglas Cameron; Mike Carlton; Mike Carson; Clare Catford; Marcus Churchill; Nick Conrad; Andy Crane; Jamie Crick; Jono Coleman; Steve Crozier; Tim Crook; Gino D'Acampo; Dan Damon; Peter Deeley; Anne Diamond; Mike Dickin; Richard Dallyn; Jenny Eclair; Richard Fairbrass; Caroline Feraday; John_Forrest_(Producer-Director); Mariella Frostrup; George Gale; Krishnan Guru-Murthy; Boy George; Charlie Gibson; Charles Golding; Angie Greaves; Eric Hall; Bob Harris; Brian Hayes; Chris Hawkins; Phillip Hodson; Bob Holness; Eamonn Holmes; Jon Holmes; Fred Housego; Rufus Hound; Howard Hughes; Sue Jameson; Bob Johnson; Bryn Jones; Steve Jones; Barry Jordan; Charlie Jordan; Lesley Judd; Henry Kelly; Allan King; Gary King; Jenny Lacey; Iain Lee; Richard Littlejohn; Wendy Lloyd; Sir Nicholas Lloyd; Adrian Love; Dave Luddy; Kelvin MacKenzie; Richard Mackney; Mike Mendoza; Daisy McAndrew; Rod Lucas; Carol McGiffin; Monty Modlin; Nathan Morley; Douglas Moffatt;Bel Mooney; Jane Moore; Elliot Moss; Pete Murray; Paddy O'Connell; Rod Lucas; Tom Parker-Bowles; Michael Parkinson; Frank Partridge; John Perkins; David Prever; Martin Popplewell; Gill Pyrah; Anna Raeburn; Angela Rippon; Rowland Rivron; Richard Robbins; Paul Ross; Kenny Sansom; Adrian Scott; Valerie Singleton; Penny Smith; Jon Snow; Julia Somerville; Laurence Spicer; Dr Pam Spurr; Janet Street-Porter; Peter Stringfellow; Carol Thatcher; Sandi Toksvig; Petroc Trelawny; Michael Van Straten; Robbie Vincent; Becky Walsh; Sandy Warr; Brian Widlake; James Williams, Matthew Wright, and Martin Young;.
    [edit]
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banana Ice Cream and bloody Pear lollies - In my boredom, I stated to count how many times SA said pear ice lollies - it was 20 times in about 30 seconds..... I then fell asleep. :yawn:

At least we haven't had banana ice cream before! It's usually the same old same old, like being trapped in a bus shelter on a rainy day with a pensioner who bores on about the same things over and over again. Like the way I moan about Steve Allen! :o:D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an unpleasant outbreak of racism on the breakfast show this morning. Twice Nick had to reprimand callers who'd failed to get disability benefit as describing their examiners as 'looking like they'd just got off the banana boat'. I thought that nasty little simile had died out with Alf Garnett.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed to hear the early news mention prince Harry in such an unecessesary negative way It was afterall a fuss about nothing It is what rich people with time on their hands do. To say that it was not brought up by others was a ridiculous way to get it mentioned .
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    radio lady wrote: »

Past LBC presenters include: Adrian Allen; Carol Allen; Dominic Allen; Mike Allen; Toby Anstis; Dickie Arbiter; Tre Azam; Phillip Bacon; Bill Bailey; David Bassett; *Jeni Barnett ; Simon Bates; Jeremy Beadle; Alison Bell; Bill Bingham; Therese Birch; Frank Bough; Tommy Boyd; Gyles Brandreth; Bill Buckley; Paul Callan; Douglas Cameron; Mike Carlton; Mike Carson; Clare Catford; Marcus Churchill; Nick Conrad; Andy Crane; Jamie Crick; Jono Coleman; Steve Crozier; Tim Crook; Gino D'Acampo; Dan Damon; Peter Deeley; Anne Diamond; Mike Dickin; Richard Dallyn; Jenny Eclair; Richard Fairbrass; Caroline Feraday; John_Forrest_(Producer-Director); Mariella Frostrup; George Gale; Krishnan Guru-Murthy; Boy George; Charlie Gibson; Charles Golding; Angie Greaves; Eric Hall; Bob Harris; Brian Hayes; Chris Hawkins; Phillip Hodson; Bob Holness; Eamonn Holmes; Jon Holmes; Fred Housego; Rufus Hound; Howard Hughes; Sue Jameson; Bob Johnson; Bryn Jones; Steve Jones; Barry Jordan; Charlie Jordan; Lesley Judd; Henry Kelly; Allan King; Gary King; Jenny Lacey; Iain Lee; Richard Littlejohn; Wendy Lloyd; Sir Nicholas Lloyd; Adrian Love; Dave Luddy; Kelvin MacKenzie; Richard Mackney; Mike Mendoza; Daisy McAndrew; Rod Lucas; Carol McGiffin; Monty Modlin; Nathan Morley; Douglas Moffatt;Bel Mooney; Jane Moore; Elliot Moss; Pete Murray; Paddy O'Connell; Rod Lucas; Tom Parker-Bowles; Michael Parkinson; Frank Partridge; John Perkins; David Prever; Martin Popplewell; Gill Pyrah; Anna Raeburn; Angela Rippon; Rowland Rivron; Richard Robbins; Paul Ross; Kenny Sansom; Adrian Scott; Valerie Singleton; Penny Smith; Jon Snow; Julia Somerville; Laurence Spicer; Dr Pam Spurr; Janet Street-Porter; Peter Stringfellow; Carol Thatcher; Sandi Toksvig; Petroc Trelawny; Michael Van Straten; Robbie Vincent; Becky Walsh; Sandy Warr; Brian Widlake; James Williams, Matthew Wright, and Martin Young;.
    [edit]

My favourites in bold and the guy with Jane Moore. Was it Jon Nicholson?
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    My favourites in bold and the guy with Jane Moore. Was it Jon Nicholson?

Yes it was- but John with an h!!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I remember those exchanges well!! So agog listening to them being bitchy to each other I never remembered the films they discussed!! Never even knew JH blogged.
    One day people will just stop talking to each other and instead blog and post and tweet and email.............

One of my favourite 15 minutes on Saturday mornings was Steve Jones and Roger Katz the ex-manager of Hatchards book shop. Roger was a delight and a fount of knowledge for everybody who loved reading. And was very very popular.
    LBC is almost sterile today compared with what it used to be.

I couldn't resist this!!!! Thank you Wikipedia - some fabulous memories here!!

[edit]

And uncle Tom Cobley and all............. What a motley crew demonstrating, in some instances, desperation. Less is more in my books. A bit like governments swapping people around to save a sinking ship - rather a poor analogy, I realise. :
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typo of the day: on LBC's Twitter feed:

As the Reshuffle continues take a look at our breakdown of the winers and losers so far: http://www.lbc.co.uk/reshuffle-the-winners-and-losers-
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typo of the day: on LBC's Twitter feed:

As the Reshuffle continues take a look at our breakdown of the winers and losers so far: http://www.lbc.co.uk/reshuffle-the-winners-and-losers-

:D

Questions have been asked if the media should use the term "Reshuffle" as it's the first one this Government has done.

Do they think switching people around fools the public...more of the same and some political reporters have noticed that some people have been promoted that recently looked as though their political career was in trouble. Another has returned who had expenses problems.

And one turned down the job the PM wanted him to take so questions have been asked about the PM's authority and you can say no to your boss?

Ahh politics!!!:rolleyes:
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Do they think switching people around fools the public...more of the same and some political reporters have noticed that some people have been promoted that recently looked as though their political career was in trouble. Another has returned who had expenses problems.

It's truly disgraceful, isn't it? So a thief is allowed to return, and Murdoch's poodle gets promoted without even a slap on the wrist. Prepare for Sky TV in every hospital folks!

I think they show an utter contempt for the public with their behaviour. I can't believe quite how angry I am! :mad: :mad:

I caught some of an odd show with JHB yesterday, in which she kept saying that she was a friend of David Laws' partner, but couldn't get past the fact that he was, in effect, a thief. I was amazed that anyone would defend his (then only predicted) return, but some callers did
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today’s reshuffle is impressive. It takes some doing to make this government even worse, but Cameron has managed it.

Looking forward to hearing Anthony's (and, of course, the callers') take on it later.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    It's truly disgraceful, isn't it? So a thief is allowed to return, and Murdoch's poodle gets promoted without even a slap on the wrist. Prepare for Sky TV in every hospital folks!

I think they show an utter contempt for the public with their behaviour. I can't believe quite how angry I am! :mad: :mad:

I caught some of an odd show with JHB yesterday, in which she kept saying that she was a friend of David Laws' partner, but couldn't get past the fact that he was, in effect, a thief. I was amazed that anyone would defend his (then only predicted) return, but some callers did

As if the Lib-Dems weren't in enough trouble, Clegg closes their coffin lid by showing utter contempt to the voters by bringing back the thieving David Laws.

Political armageddon beckons in 2015 methinks.

Well done Mr Clegg.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if the Lib-Dems weren't in enough trouble, Clegg closes their coffin lid by showing utter contempt to the voters by bringing back the thieving David Laws.

They're just following the precedent set by Blair's repeated rehabilitation of Mandelson.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're just following the precedent set by Blair's repeated rehabilitation of Mandelson.

Two wrongs don't make a right. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »

A rolling stone gathers no moss. :D
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member

[edit]

My favourites in bold...because I like them as people/personalities, not their ability to be presenters. :p
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member

D'you know, I would have put money on your coming back with a Labour example... but I think it's an odd, albeit popular, choice of a response. It's irrelevant, because I'd completely agree with the criticism of Mandy and Blair, too - who wouldn't? And also because Blair's govt was not exactly the first to be guilty of this, either, so to look back only that far makes no sense to me.

This is so not about party politics, but that's how these ridiculous figures try to divert attention away from their own messes. Don't collude with it! The fact that all of these figures have avoided a criminal record, let alone still be in power, is frankly beyond me, but goes to show just how rotten the politcal classes are.
    chinchin wrote: »

No, but two Wrights make an aeroplane... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'you know,I would have put money on your coming back with a Labour example. but I think it's an odd, albeit popular, choice of a response. It's irrelevant, because I'd completely agree with the criticism of Mandy and Blair, too - who wouldn't? And also because Blair's govt was not exactly the first to be guilty of this, either, so to look back only that far makes no sense to me.

I agree that politics is, and always has been, riddled with greed and venality but it's the only system we've got and a darn sight better than that of some countries. And let's not dismiss all politicians as corrupt; there are notable examples of the opposite and, I imagine, many low-profile backbenchers who beaver away for their constituents out of a sense of duty. Or perhaps I'm naive!

Morning all. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve's not going on holiday until next month but he's already flapping about what to pack! :D I wonder who he's going with.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve's not going on holiday until next month but he's already flapping about what to pack! :D I wonder who he's going with.

He does make me laugh when he's like this. I bet his flat has ironed shirts hanging in every room whilst he wanders around trying to make a decision about which ones to pack and ends up taking 'em all:D

He fessed up this morning around 5.45(ish) when without a trace of irony he announced "I don't like change";)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Would it be his magician friend Darren as it's a magic convention he's going to see.:D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Yet many on here berate Jacqui Smith for something similar even though hers was within the 'rules'.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What exactly did Peter Mandelson steal?

Bringing David Laws back into government highlights the hypocrisy of this government and the contempt they have for the public. I hope whenever Cameron says we should clamp down on benefit cheats he is reminded how he and Clegg have rewarded the cheat David Laws.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    What exactly did Peter Mandelson steal?

Bringing David Laws back into government highlights the hypocrisy of this government and the contempt they have for the public. I hope whenever Cameron says we should clamp down on benefit cheats he is reminded how he and Clegg have rewarded the cheat David Laws.

Wasn't Laws more embarrassed at being publicly outed IIRC. Who cares though? Most politicians seemed to be flawed in some way, it seems.
This discussion has been closed.