Options

Grand Slam of Darts - ITV4

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,694
Forum Member
✭✭
Read on a darting forum that ITV are dropping the GSOD next year. Is it true ? If so, why ? Viewing figures were very good.

Comments

• Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would indeed be a shame and a bit illogical if they were dropping it. Of course may all be down to negotiations with the PDC for a new contract.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    might be making space for the snooker if you believe the rumours
  • Options
    bravo2zerobravo2zero Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    probably suits the PDC to have it solely on sky
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bravo2zero wrote: »
    probably suits the PDC to have it solely on sky

Last I knew Sky were not interested in any more Darts. And they felt it was close to 'saturation point'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I guess either the Grand Slam will be either dropped altogether due to the crowds behavior or Barry Hearn want's all PDC events on Sky Sports.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be disappointing if Hearn ditches it because it was not one of his organisations players won it this year.

That would have to be classed as Hearn being petty more than anything else if that proves to be the case.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    It would be disappointing if Hearn ditches it because it was not one of his organisations players won it this year.

That would have to be classed as Hearn being petty more than anything else if that proves to be the case.

I don't think there's been a suggestion of Barry Hearn wanting to drop it, the thread is referring to ITV.

Perhaps ITV have got to a point where it's impossible for them to have Matt Smith at every event they want to cover
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I would be surprised. ITV dropped other sports like boxing at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    that's a shame, I even emailed them to say thank you and they said they look forward for next year... my hope to see more and more sports on ITV4 is vanishing... :(
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be clear, this information is from a fairly anonymous source on another forum. It's far from certain, and it could well be that ITV's Niall Sloane will sit down with the PDC and bash out a deal in the New Year.
    The BBC made a joke offer for the GSOD a few years ago, but their coverage wouldn't have been as good or as comprehensive as that offered by ITV.
    Incidentally, ITV didn't drop boxing as such. Frank Warren fell out with ITV, like he's done with every other broadcaster at one time or another. ITV had a fairly unfavourable contract with Mick Hennessey that expired earlier this year.
    ITV will not be able to compete with Sky for the big pay-per-views, but if a major promoter offered them a contract, and were prepared to take less money in return for terrestrial exposure, they may well be interested.
    I'm also expecting ITV to show some 'proper' snooker in 2011, which'll be their first in 10 years.