The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 4)

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the two most recent episodes on Youtube.

A slightly bonkers storyline.....I thought I was watching a 1970s disaster movie such as The Towering Inferno or The Poseidon Adventure rather than an episode of Casualty :) Quite far fetched too : an A & E department burning to the ground was not exactly a commonplace occurence in 2011.

I was convinced a couple of the characters would die, probably Ruth and Jay, but killing off characters has been a lazy device from Casualty in the past and I'm glad they didn't use that trick again.
  • itvthebillitvthebill Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16438190

BBC News have posted a video showing the new set and little clips of tomorrow's episode.

It looks really good and hope that viewing figures will not go down.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet there'll be some Eastenders fans tuning in for Nick :p
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itvthebill wrote: »

BBC News have posted a video showing the new set and little clips of tomorrow's episode.

they have sone really well with the new set, its gone up a bit quick but thats television. should of set the fire episode in october or somthing then set the series to to february when it returned, it wouldn't be so bad then, and they could of used the long gap for storyline purposes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member

Enjoyed the clip - still hating the yellow colour inside. Yuck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are we supposed to believe they have rebuilt the entire A & E department from scratch in the space of four weeks though? Surely it would take six months at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I quite like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Are we supposed to believe they have rebuilt the entire A & E department from scratch in the space of four weeks though? Surely it would take six months at least.

yup, we are, and they even managed to relocate it aswell magicly.
    Forum Member

I think we have to suspend belief slightly on this occasion, or would you prefer to have waited six months for the series to start again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i want to see an ariel shot see what it all looks like from above, will have to wait for google or bing to update the maps.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    yup, we are, and they even managed to relocate it aswell magicly.
    It hasn't been relocated in the fictional world.

And maybe the time interval between the two episodes is not meant to mirror real time? Wasn't there a comment in this thread about characters in Holby City (the programme) talking about a temporary ED area that had been set up?
  • Sarah MichelleSarah Michelle Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat 21/1 - Casualty

'Trust' : Lloyd’s insistence on helping a patient inadvertently puts her in greater danger and Linda’s life is turned upside down when her drug addict sister and children turn up in Holby.

When a female patient turns up in the ED with broken ribs and no memory of who she is, Lloyd pushes the team to do all that they can to uncover her identity. But as Lloyd pieces the clues together, could he accidentally be delivering her back into a dangerous situation that she was trying to escape in the first place?

Meanwhile, Linda stops a young girl from stealing from the hospital shop and is shocked to discover it’s her niece, Britney. She’s even more horrified to learn that her sister, Denise, is on the run from the police with her two children. When Denise tells her that they need somewhere to stay, just until they get back on their feet, Linda relents, until she discovers that Denise is still using drugs.

RE Linda, maybe explains why she got so involved with Annie + Evie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It hasn't been relocated in the fictional world.

And maybe the time interval between the two episodes is not meant to mirror real time? Wasn't there a comment in this thread about characters in Holby City (the programme) talking about a temporary ED area that had been set up?

i knwo but that street just apeared from no where.

also it was in the holby episode last week i think set over christmass where they mentioned that a patient was braught up from the ED.
  • HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Wow, the new reception / waiting area looks massive! Can't wait to see the whole set on screeen tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member

also it was in the holby episode last week i think set over christmass where they mentioned that a patient was braught up from the ED.

Yeah to which they were referring to a Temporary ED. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have to suspend belief slightly on this occasion, or would you prefer to have waited six months for the series to start again?

Well, my point would be that the A & E department burning to the ground was a bonkers storyline to start with. Modern hospitals are designed not to go up in flames ie. they are built with materials that are not particularly flammable, there are sprinkler systems in place etc.....the way Holby went up in smoke was like a death trap from the 19th century.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's true that such a street might not have been mentioned or featured before, but the again, why would it?

And as I said, I am sure that someone had mentioned that there was a temporary ED set up whilst rebuilding work took place (which would make sense in the real world).
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Although I'm sad to see the show leave Bristol, it does look as if they've put a bit of thought into the new set. Ultimately the problem was that Casualty had outgrown its original premises especially after moving to almost year-round transmission, and Holby City was starting to show it up production-wise.
    Forum Member
    Well, my point would be that the A & E department burning to the ground was a bonkers storyline to start with. Modern hospitals are designed not to go up in flames ie. they are built with materials that are not particularly flammable, there are sprinkler systems in place etc.....the way Holby went up in smoke was like a death trap from the 19th century.

I think this was partly explained when Fire Officer Frank disabled the system for the ED as he thought it was faulty. This silenced the alams, but it may have also disabled the sprinkler system. Also given the length of time the fire was allowed to take hold in the basement (which also appeared to be part of the same sector disabled by Frank as Lenny couldn't activate the alarm), severe structural damage was caused below the ED. This would have all contributed to the severity of the fire once it hit the ED.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this was partly explained when Fire Officer Frank disabled the system for the ED as he thought it was faulty. This silenced the alams, but it may have also disabled the sprinkler system. Also given the length of time the fire was allowed to take hold in the basement (which also appeared to be part of the same sector disabled by Frank as Lenny couldn't activate the alarm), severe structural damage was caused below the ED. This would have all contributed to the severity of the fire once it hit the ED.

Which in turn would probably lead to problems for the hospital in real life. I imagine many people in the media as well as local politicians would be asking how on earth a fully functioning A & E department could burn to the ground in 2011.

The most unrealistic scene for me was Nick Jordan and Charlie trying to laugh the whole thing off at the end of the episode. I would have expected Jordan to be incandescent with rage and asking "what the bloody hell happened here?".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Why? That's not really in Nick's character.

A glimpse of the new logo. Apologies for it not being the best screenshot. It flashes so quickly up on the screen in the clip, hard to get a decent shot.
  • Tass BTass B Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which in turn would probably lead to problems for the hospital in real life. I imagine many people in the media as well as local politicians would be asking how on earth a fully functioning A & E department could burn to the ground in 2011.

The most unrealistic scene for me was Nick Jordan and Charlie trying to laugh the whole thing off at the end of the episode. I would have expected Jordan to be incandescent with rage and asking "what the bloody hell happened here?".

I guess they were both trying to make light of an awful situation. As the saying says 'If you don't laugh, you're cry' and thats probably the sort of things that were going through their minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tass B wrote: »
    I guess they were both trying to make light of an awful situation. As the saying says 'If you don't laugh, you're cry' and thats probably the sort of things that were going through their minds.

Yeh and it's not like it's never happened before :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if it's been asked already but is casualty going HD now? (or has it been for a while and i just haven't noticed :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah its the first time it will be in hd
This discussion has been closed.