Options

BlackBerry flagship Z30 shunned by UK networks

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
If you are looking to buy a BlackBerry Z30 then you may struggle to find it being sold by your chosen network. O2 EE and Three are refusing to stock it. Only Vodafone and the Carphone Warehouse are the only major outlets selling it. There are of course ways around it!

I got to have a play around with the Z30 in December in Glasgow where BlackBerry had a stall in Buchanan Street and was quite impressed at how good it was. Like ive said before BlackBerry should have been offering these devices a few years ago.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27764/BlackBerry_flagship_Z30_shunned_by_operators.aspx

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all little too late now and there aren't any big new technologies on the horizon that could let BB have an "iPhone moment".
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    This should have been the z10 and things may have improved for them. I know a BB diehard with one and it is not that bad. However can't really blame operators for choosing not to back a dying animal I suppose.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    This should have been the z10 and things may have improved for them. I know a BB diehard with one and it is not that bad. However can't really blame operators for choosing not to back a dying animal I suppose.

I was a Blackberry loyalist but I couldn't get on with the Z10 (or the Q10, I tried both). My employer had also dropped Blackberry as our standard company handset and switched over 200 people to HTC so for the first time in over 10 years I don't have a BB.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame for Blackberry as it is an excellent phone but this will further dent consumer confidence in the brand. Like Nokia they rather squandered their former market-leading position by being slow to move with the pace and got left behind.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this device was launched in October 2013 and only one carrier has picked it up by January 2014, then it is beyond a disaster.

It's over for BB now. They are already finished in the US, the UK was their last stronghold and that has now been lost. I don't think their plan to focus on emerging markets will succeed when Android can be compiled for devices for free and is far more well known than BB10.

Their hardware selling days are all but over now. The only way I can see them surviving is if they make the transition into a software/security company and just abandon the mobile hardware business. Everything they have released in the past few years has just completely tanked.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android apps soon to be natively supported by BB World with the next firmware update BB10.3. This is good news and hopefully will make the Z30 & Z10 more appealing :)

http://goodereader.com/blog/spotlight-on-android/developers-confirm-blackberry-world-will-soon-be-accepting-android-apps
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    They are a manufacturer of business phones who got extremely lucky a few years ago when, inexplicably to some, teens decided they were cool and had to have one. Then the smartphone became affordable and the teens (a fickle lot at the best of times) moved on to pastures new. BB didn't cotton on to what was happening and the rest will be/already is history. My son was a teen when he first got a blackberry, he's now in his early 20s with a Nexus 4 and wouldn't be seen dead with one now. His GF's the same.