Options

UKIP gains?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
I've seen that UKIP have made a couple of councillor gains. While I would seriously consider voting for them in a Euro election, but a local one? I just don't consider them a party who would be effective locally, I see them as our best means of getting out of Europe.

I wonder where they have won, and why? Do people think it's vigorous local campaigning on local issues, or really the european union? Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't vote for them local or national, not local unless they came up with some good ideas and they put up a candidate in my area. Could never vote for them national, not whilst they want us out of the EU, no way (So that will be never)!

We need closer ties with the rest of Europe, UKIP don't have a clue other than they know they can get the vote from some who are brainwashed by the media with some of the lies they print.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closer ties? What does that mean? Strapping an engine to the tip of the Scottish higlands and getting people in Morecambe & Whitby to get their oars out and row us down towards France?

Why do you want to be ruled by Europe? Why do you want to have control over other nations? I don't particularly care about having power over the people of Slovakia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Many people, who have looked at the situation carefully and rationally, believe that Britain would be far better off outside of the EU.

In addition, the cynical attitude of the two main parties, both of whom promised us a referendum on EU membership and subsequently renaged on that promise. has made some people turn to the only party who seem likely to do just that.

In both of these cases, people who vote for UKIP in local elections are probably just showing their support for the basic ideas of UKIP, rather than expecting them to win massive local support.

Out of interest, I did look at their website recently and found it somewhat surprising to see that they did / do have policies apart from "UK-OUT", which is what most of their detractors claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the EU effects us at council level, their rubbish policy is why we're having bins done every over week and not every week ... thank the EU rulers, now when can we start dumping our trash in Brussels? Let the grand masters feel what living in trash feels like.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the grand scheme of things, UKIP generating a couple of council seats here and there out of thousands means they will have negligible impact - much like the BNP.
  • Options
    Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd vote for them in a Euro election as I have done in the past, as their policies suit the issues in that situation

But they need tom make clear their policies on stuff apart from Europe, if they are to get more votes nationally
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need closer ties with the rest of Europe, UKIP don't have a clue other than they know they can get the vote from some who are brainwashed by the media with some of the lies they print.

So you'd consider me brainwashed by the media?

Why is my opinion less valid than yours, just because it happens to be a more popularly expressed view?

The EU works fine as a trading block, but as a supranational political entity? Laws can be imposed on this country, and even if every single person here will be detrimentally affected, we cannot get rid of said law. It amazes me how people can think this is acceptable.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recharge wrote: »
    Also the EU effects us at council level, their rubbish policy is why we're having bins done every over week and not every week ... thank the EU rulers, now when can we start dumping our trash in Brussels? Let the grand masters feel what living in trash feels like.

Yes those evil EU rulers that are forcing us to not ruin the planet, where out national goverment was so ineffectual. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people, who have looked at the situation carefully and rationally, believe that Britain would be far better off outside of the EU.

So have I and I think we would be better off staying in actually.

UKIP is a bit wet for most right wingers which is why the BNP are beating them all over the country.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is my opinion less valid than yours, just because it happens to be a more popularly expressed view?

The EU works fine as a trading block, but as a supranational political entity? Laws can be imposed on this country, and even if every single person here will be detrimentally affected, we cannot get rid of said law. It amazes me how people can think this is acceptable.

This is the favourite tactic with Lefties. Vote for Boris and you are just too thick to understand. Question Europe and you're a little Englander. Question the Labour party and you're a Daily Mail/Sun reader.
    In effect, anyone who thinks Conservatively is a thick as pigshit knuckledragger.
    It must be wonderful to be so clever eh?
  • Options
    SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I thought they were credible they went and associated themselves with Robert Kilroy Silk. I mean come on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they are credible at all, although I agree with their main policy. One trick parties never win anything anyway.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the favourite tactic with Lefties. Vote for Boris and you are just too thick to understand. Question Europe and you're a little Englander. Question the Labour party and you're a Daily Mail/Sun reader.
    In effect, anyone who thinks Conservatively is a thick as pigshit knuckledragger.

Before I make my point, I'd like to clarify that I abhore Labour and am a Tory supporter :D

However, what you say can equally be turned on it's head and applied to right wingers who I've witnessed label Labour supporters as one or more of the following: loony lefties, do-gooder liberals, tree-huggers, the pc brigade and clueless guardian readers.

It works both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes those evil EU rulers that are forcing us to not ruin the planet, where out national goverment was so ineffectual. :rolleyes:

We need to eat, we produce rubbish, get over it.

I wouldn't mind dupping all that rubbish across the wasteland that is Europe. I doubt the French live with rubbish piling up, it'd get in the way of their lazy farmers and setting cars on fire I guess.

Ruining the planet? I've never seen such rubbish, oh wait I have ... after a week or so without collections I see lots of rubbish, and rats, but that's OK ... we're saving the planet!

How dare these foreign invaders fine us money and force us to change our lifestyle. I don't want to live like they live in Bulgaria, with chickens running around and what not ... this is a developed country, they need to develop their brains I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Before I make my point, I'd like to clarify that I abhore Labour and am a Tory supporter :D

However, what you say can equally be turned on it's head and applied to right wingers who I've witnessed label Labour supporters as one or more of the following: loony lefties, do-gooder liberals, tree-huggers, the pc brigade and clueless guardian readers.

It works both ways.

Oh I know it works both ways, it's just the overwhelming intellectual superiority they like to exude!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Though I agree with your sentiments, If there was an election where I live yesterday, I would have voted Libdem. I cannot forgive the conservatives for what they did to my (working class mining) family, and wouldn't class myself as 'thinking conservatively'.

I suppose I am a eurosceptic on the centre-left. I don't think there's too many of us, mind.

Going back to the original post, I find they have made gains in Dudley (1 councillor) and Newcastle-Under-Lyme (2 Councillors, now have 4). Maybe in Newcastle, they have made such a good job of it, they continue to gain?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't support Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have our general rubbish collected every week, and they won't be changing that to once every 2 weeks, we also have recyclables collected every 2 weeks, one week it will be paper, plastic, glass etc, the next week it's garden waste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have our general rubbish collected every week, and they won't be changing that to once every 2 weeks, we also have recyclables collected every 2 weeks, one week it will be paper, plastic, glass etc, the next week it's garden waste.

Your're one of the lucky ones then ... many people have it every other week and have to live in garbage squalor because of some foreign pen pusher who has never even been here ... they know best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Recharge wrote: »
    Your're one of the lucky ones then ... many people have it every other week and have to live in garbage squalor because of some foreign pen pusher who has never even been here ... they know best!

Yeah, but it was Labour who was trying to pressure local councils, the local council here Lid Dem/Conservative with the Lid Dems being vocal on this issue said doesn't matter what the PM said, we will keep the collection every week, because the local people want weekly collections and the council didn't want to see more rats, more smells. more mess and other issues from fortnightly collection.

In other EU countries they still have weekly collections and some places collections more than once per week. OK they do more recycling.

It was however our PM who was trying to force more recycling on us by dropping a collection.

However our local council have found you don't encourage recycling by forcing them and our recycling rate is going up.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, you sound like you aren't one of the brainwashed, you have made a very informed decision on the way you want to vote and see the country run. After all you are fully entitled to that view-point, as am I.

However I have seen many people who have said they are going to vote UKIP and BNP or others simply because they believed what the Sun newspaper for example had printed, when shown the truth they were surprised.

I just think and have seen from other countries I have lived in, that with closer ties and doing some things the way of others the country is better. Yes, there are a few things our way is probably better, but then let us work to change the rest of Europe to think our way on that matter.

We are better off working together for Europe as a whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but it was Labour who was trying to pressure local councils, the local council here Lid Dem/Conservative with the Lid Dems being vocal on this issue said doesn't matter what the PM said, we will keep the collection every week, because the local people want weekly collections and the council didn't want to see more rats, more smells. more mess and other issues from fortnightly collection.

In other EU countries they still have weekly collections and some places collections more than once per week. OK they do more recycling.

It was however our PM who was trying to force more recycling on us by dropping a collection.

However our local council have found you don't encourage recycling by forcing them and our recycling rate is going up.
    Yes, it is Labour & the EU ... they are heartless dictators working together to destroy freedom. The Liberal Democrats collude with the EU nationally, I imagine the council was just scared about their votes.

Our PM is out of touch, when we kick him out we should move him into a landfill (ie. any residential neighborhoud where they get their rubbish collected every 2 weeks) and see how he likes it ... boy, he'll look even grumpier than he does today.

The EU doesn't know anything about this country, except that we are quite rich and so they best fine us as much as they can (same attitude Labour has to working people) ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't vote for them local or national, not local unless they came up with some good ideas and they put up a candidate in my area. Could never vote for them national, not whilst they want us out of the EU, no way (So that will be never)!

Yet another member of the electorate duped by the nebulous and disingenuous idea that we need to be part of the European Union - i.e. have 75% of our laws governed undemocratically by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels - in order to work and build strong ties with it :rolleyes:

Please, let Norway and Switzerland's relationship (not membership) with the EU and corresponding economic and social situation be a lesson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, let Norway and Switzerland's relationship (not membership) with the EU and corresponding economic and social situation be a lesson.

Is that Norway with all the oil and gas and the social problems of Buckinghamshire or Switzerland with all the worlds money in its Banks.

The Ukraine is a European country thats not in the EU how about that as an example or maybe Portugal or Ireland before they joined.

BTW: I heard UKIP got its ass kicked by the BNP. Apparently they are to wet for real right wingers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    Is that Norway with all the oil and gas and the social problems of Buckinghamshire or Switzerland with all the worlds money in its Banks.
    It's the Norway that has a population of under 5 million yet has similar income to the UK from oil and gas.

It's also the Norway that acceeds to EU demands on trade with the EU and has no influence on those demands

And the Norway that has high tax rates and which does have social problems of racism and alcolism