Options

What would happen to Camillas place within the royal family if Charles dies first?

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
Would she be looked after by the remaining royal family,given accomodation/small palace or something?Would she become a beloved Queen Mother figure?Or would she be hung out to dry by Dianas sons?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine Diana's sons would be grown up enough to accept that his father loved another women who he couldn't marry in the first place because of stupid traditions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    Would she be looked after by the remaining royal family,given accomodation/small palace or something?Would she become a beloved Queen Mother figure?Or would she be hung out to dry by Dianas sons?:confused:

She's his wife, she retains her rights under his will to his own property Highgrove. Presumably he has had her put in his will for his personal fortune. She would retain her titles, but if she was Queen Consort when he died, I am not sure what the new King would do about that. I imagine William would want to honour his father's memory and would ensure she was looked after. I don't think Camilla will ever be a beloved Queen Mother figure, simply because she isn't a Queen's mother. The title was simply one that Queen Elizabeth granted to her mother on the death of her father. She could, I suppose, be called Dowager Queen, like in the Queen's grandmother, who became Dowager Queen Mary after King George V's death. If Camilla does become that she retains the rights and privileges she had before.
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or they will see her for what she is; a free-loading parasite and an embarrassment.

However technically, if he she is still to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall and not Queen (as has been strongly mooted), she will remain so after his death, although she may be referred to as Dowager.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'd remain the dowager Duchess of Cornwall, as she'd also be the dowager Queen Camilla.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to obscurity in some grand dower house.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Or they will see her for what she is; a free-loading parasite and an embarrassment.

However technically, if he she is still to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall and not Queen (as has been strongly mooted), she will remain so after his death, although she may be referred to as Dowager.

But she will, i believe be his queen according to the constitution, though she may choose not to use the title.

This is a piece written about Wallis Simpson, who it is said, the queen mother never forgave ....

The couple remained estranged from England and the Royal Family until the death of Edward in 1972 and he was taken home for burial. Wallis accompanied the body and was invited to stay at Buckingham Palace during the funeral and interment. She returned to Paris and for the next fourteen years lived alone in poor health until her own death in Paris at age 89. Her remains were conveyed to London for burial. One hundred invited guests including Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher looked on and joined the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the entire Royal Family as a simple funeral service was conducted in St. George's Chapel.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, she seems alright to me. It's the guy with the beard and his wife I always see as the main freeloaders amongst the royals. Prince Michael of Kent(?)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Think of the Queen Mother and you're just about there.

Beyond that, what's all this bollocks about "Queen Camilla"? :confused:

We currently have a female monarch called Liz. Queen Liz.
    She's married to a guy called Phillip.
    That'd be King Phillip then, would it?
    Oh wait, no. He's Prince Phillip cos we don't have a king and queen at the same time.
    We have one or the other.

Also, for those who were off school the day they did heraldry, if Liz snuffs it then we get Charles as king. Phillip doesn't get a go. In the same way, if Charles pegs it while he's King then William will take over and Camilla will be packed off to a damp castle somewhere in Wales.

So why the bloody hell do people insist on banging on about "Queen Camilla"?

Or Queen Kate. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll just continue to play guitar for iron maiden
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Oh wait, no. He's Prince Phillip cos we don't have a king and queen at the same time.

Also, for those who were off school the day they did heraldry, if Liz snuffs it then we get Wills as king. Phillip doesn't get a go. In the same way, if Charles pegs it while he's King then William will take over and Camilla will be packed off to a damp castle somewhere in Wales.

Ummm because we have a King and a Queen when appropriate.

but a Queen and a Prince.

This is because a King outranks a Queen, so the inheriting Monarch if a Queen is married to a Prince, to retain the bloodline head of state.

Stop spouting your word as if it is the word of the law. It may be your entiltled opinion but that really doesn't make it correct.
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, for those who were off school the day they did heraldry, if Liz snuffs it then we get Wills as king. Phillip doesn't get a go. In the same way, if Charles pegs it while he's King then William will take over and Camilla will be packed off to a damp castle somewhere in Wales.

Not until his old man snuffs it. ;)

Or will that be Queen "Cate"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The King's wife is always Queen! The Queen's husband isn't always King. It's not bollocks it's the daft constitution! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    The King's wife is always Queen! The Queen's husband isn't always King. It's not bollocks it's the daft constitution! :D

Sorry. The point I was making was with regard to the whole "after Charles snuffs it" thing.

She won't be a "Queen" then cos Wills will take over.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    She'd remain the dowager Duchess of Cornwall, as she'd also be the dowager Queen Camilla.

No she wont if Charles ascends to the throne William will be made Duke of Cornwall

The Dukedom of Cornwall always belongs to the eldest legitimate son of the Sovereign. Therefore Catherine will be Duchess of Cornwall as Williams wife.

I would suppose Camilla would be given a new title when Charles is King, It may not be Queen it may be something like Princess Consort (the same as Albert was Prince Consort).
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Incorrect. See the other thread. It is usual for the wife of a King Regnant to be called the Queen or Queen Consort. There has been a title of King Consorts married to Queen Regnants.
    That said, Camilla has decided to be a Duchess Consort or Princess if Charles accedes.
    Kate would be Queen Catherine ordinarily unless she decides to take a lesser title.
    Also, for those who were off school the day they did heraldry, if Liz snuffs it then we get Wills as king.

No. We get King George VII if the Queen predeceases Charles.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry. The point I was making was with regard to the whole "after Charles snuffs it" thing.

and Kate will then be Queen, unlike you said.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or will that be Queen "Cate"

That's something I've noticed too...

All those fancy "WK" logos appearing.

I was wondering if Kate is her name or whether it's short for Catherine.
    I mean, who wants a pewter tankard with "WC" engraved on it?
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Camillz and Princess Michael of Kent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »

I would suppose Camilla would be given a new title when Charles is King, It may not be Queen it may be something loke Princess Consort (the same as Albert was Prince Consort).

That will be a first in our history. Our constitution has always been the King's wife is Queen.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She could still end up with the title of Queen.

After King George VI died we had 3 with the title of Queen. Queen Mary (King George's mum), Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Queen Elizabeth II.

It all pretty much depends on what (if any) title, that William and the government come up with.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    That will be a first in our history. Our constitution has always been the King's wife is Queen.

Yeah you are right and I for one would have no problems with Camilla being Queen - I like her, but there has been a lot of controvosy (sp?) and she may not want to be called Queen
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

Also, for those who were off school the day they did heraldry, if Liz snuffs it then we get Charles as king. Phillip doesn't get a go. In the same way, if Charles pegs it while he's King then William will take over and Camilla will be packed off to a damp castle somewhere in Wales.

Bollocks about Queen Camilla? Read on please..
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/constitution-means-camilla-will-automatically-be-queen-529483.html
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's something I've noticed too...

All those fancy "WK" logos appearing.

I was wondering if Kate is her name or whether it's short for Catherine.
    I mean, who wants a pewter tankard with "WC" engraved on it?

Her name is Catherine Elizabeth, known as Kate. Exactly the same as my beautiful daughter. :)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    Her name is Catherine Elizabeth, known as Kate. Exactly the same as my beautiful daughter. :)

Is she shacked up with a royal heir, too?
  • Options
    shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I'm not so sure she'd need or even want looking after. Camilla has always struck me as an independent and worldly wise sort. Doesn't she still retain her own home separately from Charles and spends time there with her children and grandchildren ?
    She'd probably be happy to take a back seat and disappear from public view in a dignified manner and allow William to get on with being King in his own way.

I've never understood the vicious ill feeling directed towards her - if it hadn't been for the ridiculous notion that Charles should marry a virgin they would probably have married in the first place and saved a lot of heartache and pain into the bargain.