Options

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, BBC1 Xmas Day, 6pm.

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    must say, as i don't think i commented on this aspect yet, from a production perspective it was probably the most impressive since Vincent. Lovely set design.

Vincent reached some kind of Plateau, and due to the high level of production values in that brilliant episode, it is going to be very hard to beat!

I think that this years Christmas special is a shining example
    of just how I have totally taken to Matt's Doctor and my partner commented that it is amazing to think that just a year ago, David Tennant was still the Doctor! Matt is for me, most definetely a superb Doctor and this year's special really made me wanting more. Much more.
  • Options
    jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I have to confess that I am always taken aback by some of the posts on these forums.

For one I am bewildered by the fact that some people post during the screening of the episode - mind you I am male and that would require multi-tasking :).

Another is that there is always someone who posts that it is "the worst episode ever" or the end of Dr Who. If you post it after every episode one day you will eventually be correct I suppose.

Christmas episodes require something different to the regular series and this was delivered. Having seen so many versions of A Christmas Carol I did not expect to be surprised by so many parts of the plot as I was, in particular, the ending.

Also, as I watched "The Next Doctor" again this morning tonight's episode was nether the worst episode ever or even the worst Christmas episode. Tonight's was good, well filmed, nicely acted, especially Smith and Gambon, no jarring CGI or sound/music issues and some very good lines for both casual viewers and fans. Hopefully some casual viewers will be enticed by this episode and the excellent trailer that followed to watch the next series.

As Moffat is the writer who gave us "everybody lives" in Ecclestone's era and the overwhelming positive endings of most versions of A Christmas Carol the fact that no miracle cure for Jenkins's character was refreshing and unexpected and slightly sad which I think is a braver choice than her condition being cured. Probably the best Christmas special so far produced in my opinion.

The sight of a possibly naked Alex Kingston in the trailer made me feel warmer than I have for days for some reason!
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the very first time, my Daughter (who is such a big Doctor Who fan since 2005 and has everything) looked at me and said 'that was rubbish'. And that saddened me because we always make a point of watching DW together and have always enjoyed each and every episode since Christopher Eccleston. Today's episode was really terrible.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I thought it was boring as hell and I fell asleep - I'll give it another try but I don't hold out much hope.

I confess I thought this too. Gave up half way through and did the washing up.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, I couldn't catch the ep in full today - my first Christmas Day without who. Well... I just watched the first 8 minutes... I planned to watch 1-2 minutes... but I kept going because I thought it was lovely already.

I don't see any way I'll dislike the episode.
  • Options
    D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must agree with some of the comments that all that glitters is not gold, while the production was impressive the whole thing just lacked that good old Doctor Who feel, even my teenage daughter was not overly impressed:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just knew that when I came on this thread that I would see people who agreed with me and my family about this episode. It was dull, boring and terrible. The children did not even want to finish watching it. A real let down. Dr Who has lost the plot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the very first time, my Daughter (who is such a big Doctor Who fan since 2005 and has everything) looked at me and said 'that was rubbish'. And that saddened me because we always make a point of watching DW together and have always enjoyed each and every episode since Christopher Eccleston. Today's episode was really terrible.

It is sad that your daughter felt that way, and that you felt disappointed by it.

I loved the episode, but I will admit that I can understand why people (casual viewers especially) may have been disappointed.

In the past Christmas Specials have largely been light, festive and family orientated fluffy TV. Nowt vwrong with that, it worked well and the specials from 2005 until last year (although last year's was darker in tone), were, digestible, easy and light Christmas TV the whole family could enjoy.

This years episode was different in style, tone and the fluffiness and accessibility of typical festive viewing had become altered. Many would have struggled with the episode but that doesn't make it bad. It was intelligent and complicated in places which is what Doctor Who was before the revival.

However, as clever as Moffats writing is, he does, and this is my opinion only and I'm not intending to detract from the brilliance of A Christmas Carol as an episode, on occasion try to be too clever for clever's sake and maybe this was the element in ACC that viewers disliked. Yes it was Christmassey. Yes it was epic and spectacular. But it didn't flow along like previous specials. It had to be followed and comprehensively taken in. That is possibly something on Christmas Day, when everyone is bloated, slightly tipsy (not children I hope) over exhausted, that people are not experienced in undertaking.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    I just knew that when I came on this thread that I would see people who agreed with me and my family about this episode.

yes well, given we all don't have the same opinion on an episode you will pretty much always find some people who agree with your view on an episode, however, the continued abscene of a poll seems to be making people think this episode was unpopular, when in fact it seems to have gone down quite well if you look at the twitter feed or the poll on GB. These episode threads are, more often than not, full of people saying how much they disliked an episode, while the polls often tell a very different story...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The episode didn't work and I'm not surprised that your daughter didn't like it as the children in our family didn't like it either. And they were big Dr Who fans. I say WERE, they might not even bother to tune back in they seemed so disappointed in it.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    At the beginning I thought it was going to be rubbish, but in the end I enjoyed it more than any of the previous Christmas Day episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    really loved the episode. Thought in the first five minutes that it might be a flop but I was delighted how it kept drawing me in. It never had that sort of lull when you realise what the story is and how it needs to end - and thus leaves you just waiting for the end. This seemed to grow and grow as it progressed.

I think Moffat is definitely writing for the adults - not much in the monster department but stacks and stacks of human storty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes well, given we all don't have the same opinion on an episode you will pretty much always find some people who agree with your view on an episode, however, the continued obscene of a poll seems to be making people think this episode was unpopular, when in fact it seems to have gone down quite well if you look at the twitter feed or the poll on GB. These episode threads are, more often than not, full of people saying how much they disliked an episode, while the polls often tell a very different story...;)
    No need to be shirty about it mate..:) if the children didn't like it I think it wasn't a good show, and it is for children you know, and they didn't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to be shirty about it mate..:) if the children didn't like it I think it wasn't a good show, and it is for children you know, and they didn't like it.

i'm not being shirty in the least, and just because your children didn't like it you can't assume others didn't. :confused:\\

also the show is not written for children, they make up the minority of the audience - i think about 1.5 million or so. The majority of the audience are adults.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Do people actually fall asleep whilst watching it? Sorry if I'm wrong but that seems a tad exaggerated.

I think it is safe to say that this episode has done well, although as always there is a (fair enough) audience that didn't like it - there always will be. But I think it was brill, my friends thought it was brill, and my little sister sat through the whole thing - the first time she has done so with a Christmas special since The Runaway Bride. She loved it and was amazed by Jenkins and Gambon, and as always by Smith. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not solely a Children's programme. It's a family programme. Some people like things, other's don't. However I feel that the ratings and the AI rating will suggest that the majority did, infact, enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people actually fall asleep whilst watching it? Sorry if I'm wrong but that seems a tad exaggerated.

I think it is safe to say that this episode has done well, although as always there is a (fair enough) audience that didn't like it - there always will be. But I think it was brill, my friends thought it was brill, and my little sister sat through the whole thing - the first time she has done so with a Christmas special since The Runaway Bride. She loved it and was amazed by Jenkins and Gambon, and as always by Smith. :D

My sister just texted me that my niece spent the whole episode waving her sonic screwdriver at the screen....:D

It's lovely to see the show through the eyes of people coming to it new.:)

Thing with kids is they grow out of the show for a while, and the younger ones take their place. The kids later come back to the show as adults through nostalgia. Of course some do stick with it throughout, but how many of us here liked the same shows, the same bands, the same actors etc through the course of our childhood? Not many I bet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not being shirty in the least, and just because your children didn't like it you can't assume others didn't. :confused:\\

also the show is not written for children, they make up the minority of the audience - i think about 1.5 million or so. The majority of the audience are adults.
    I said I thought that others would have posted what we thought - that it wasn't good - and they had. So I assumed something that was true. You like it but I think you always say you like it even when it isn't any good.;)
    The show IS a children's show that has ended up being a show that some adults like or that adults watch along with their children, like me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode didn't work and I'm not surprised that your daughter didn't like it as the children in our family didn't like it either. And they were big Dr Who fans. I say WERE, they might not even bother to tune back in they seemed so disappointed in it.

I'm glad we're not the only ones who thought this. For me KJ spoiled it and it felt it was a big advert for her CDs. I cannot remember Kylie singing in her DW episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show IS a children's show that has ended up being a show that some adults like or that adults watch along with their children, like me.

It's not made for children. It is made for a family audience. If it was written for children they wouldn't have scenes that are obviously designed explicitly for the older audience in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . I cannot remember Kylie singing in her DW episode.

i wasn't that keen on Jenkins singing either, but in fairness, Kylie doesn't actually have much of a singing voice and not one that they could actually use in the episode effectively.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dozed off twice. Not full sleep, but a definite snooze. I found Katherine Jenkins' voice quite soporific and my head nodded and off I went.

It's been a long day, I've eaten too much and it was very warm, so I would probably have caught a few zeds at anything!
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad we're not the only ones who thought this. For me KJ spoiled it and it felt it was a big advert for her CDs. I cannot remember Kylie singing in her DW episode.

No, Kylie didn't sing in her episode. Thank goodness for small mercies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for small mercies!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It's not solely a Children's programme. It's a family programme. Some people like things, other's don't. However I feel that the ratings and the AI rating will suggest that the majority did, infact, enjoy it.
    It is a childrens programme and family viewing means that it is a childrens programme that all the family might enjoy. I'm sure the ratings were good but that won't mean that a lot of the people watching it will have thought it was good. Some will, like you :) others won;t.