Cilia should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act!

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a singer, Cilla doesn't have the class to wipe Dusty Springfield's (sadly deceased) a**e. Nor Bette Midler's, come to think of it. She does sound like she was better in her younger years, to be fair, but she has turned into a gross caricature of herself and it seems like she has Paul O'Grady to thank for keeping her 'career' going. From those who've had to deal with her, I've heard nothing positive and she always seems half cut whenever she's on telly, these days (her throat included). I would much rather find nice things to say about celebs but, for some reason, Cilla Black reminds me of Cillit Bang in that they both have the same abrasive effect.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    A singer???

Really?

I've heard better drunks at karaoke!

Well if that lot on X Factor are anything to go by I don't think she should
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    She did panto in Liverpool in 2008 for a hell of a lot of money (never met one single person from Liverpool with a nice thing to say about her) she didn't sing one of her songs! The lovely Jennifer Ellison sang them all beautifully and got a great many cheers unlike Cilla, who, people shouted 'Where you from with that accent!' 'Fake accent'..........
    Now, I know why she didn't sing.....she can't.
  • ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla's favourite phrase.........

"Oh, enough about me, what did you think of my performance?"

:D:D:D

She got on because she truly believes she can sing as good as Dusty Springfield. And her belief in her ability is so strong that eventually other people believed her too.

That's a heck of a sales technique.

I never, ever believed that, you only had to hear them both to not believe it. ;) :eek: :D

Dusty Springfield...windmills of my mind. Can you imagine Cilla singing that...sorry for the image I've put in your head. ;):)
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your supposed to shout "hes behind you" not wher you from with that accent :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Your supposed to shout "hes behind you" not wher you from with that accent :D

She isn't liked, her accent is not from Liverpool which is why she got abuse. She was outclassed by Jennifer Ellison and Les Dennis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What lovely people you all are.

Oh be quiet Mother Teresa.
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilia should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act!

Cilia or Cilla!

I only first heard of Cilla Black last week and even i got the name right :D

That being said, i do not disagree with you (but i did see a youtube video of her singing in what must have been her peak and she was much better) .

happy christmas :)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngswede wrote: »
    Cilia or Cilla!

I only first heard of Cilla Black last week and even i got the name right :D

That being said, i do not disagree with you (but i did see a youtube video of her singing in what must have been her peak and she was much better) .

happy christmas :)

Would it have been this one? recording Alphie with Burt Bacharach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuoNa5g6i8&feature=related She was never a great singer but I think he brought something out of her for this track.

I remember her from when I was a kid and I used to like her then, but her singing got worse and worse as her nose got smaller :eek:
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it have been this one? recording Alphie with Burt Bacharach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuoNa5g6i8&feature=related She was never a great singer but I think he brought something out of her for this track.

I remember her from when I was a kid and I used to like her then, but her singing got worse and worse as her nose got smaller :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWAcG5p0Jyg

It was this one, but I think she sings well in the one you posted also.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see a link in the thread but is there a youtube of her latest efforts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngswede wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWAcG5p0Jyg

It was this one, but I think she sings well in the one you posted also.

Yes, that's a good one too. She had about 4 or 5 good songs and that was it. I have to agree with posters who say she isn't much good now. She was of her time, like Twiggy and Carnaby Street. She was also in the right place at the right time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    I can't see a link in the thread but is there a youtube of her latest efforts?

Not her latest effort but probably her most traumatising. :eek:

*start from 2:40
  • ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Of course it's a known fact but witnessing the horror of her screeching like a stabbed dog on The Paul Ogrady show, triggered this thread.

Her voice is absolutely abysmal! :eek:

Re this and the "cat pissing bleach" post above, do you really need to use animals in pain analogies. It's not funny and actually a bit upsetting.

Someone might even feed bleach to a cat just to hear what it actually sounds like. Extreme, maybe, but that's some humans for you
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Re this and the "cat pissing bleach" post above, do you really need to use animals in pain analogies. It's not funny and actually a bit upsetting.

Someone might even feed bleach to a cat just to hear what it actually sounds like. Extreme, maybe, but that's some humans for you

:eek: :eek: are you for real. People are not going to leave this thread and feed bleach to their cats just so they can imitate Cilla. It's a joke and you are reading far too much into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »

Poor Cilla what the hell has she ever done to Louis to be compared to Biffa - Cilla sings live, not at at well but at least she sings live. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus. Are you serious?
  • lady*taralady*tara Posts: 19,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A singer???

Really?

I've heard better drunks at karaoke!
    she had her first hit at 15 i think i read, and to be fair who in the charts can realy be classed as a singer *cheryl cole*cough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can only presume you are really half man, half dingo based on your flawed logic that everything posted here is meant literally.

GET A LIFE!!
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Award winning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »

:eek: I think Louis meant it as a compliment too :D
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    She was very good when she was young. She didn't sing with such a broad accent and her voice wasn't as brash and brassy. These days when she sings it sounds like she's taking the p*ss. However, I grew up singing along to my parents' old 45 records including 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' and 'You're My World' and they were great!

Yes, she was ok when she was young, not great but passable. Unfortuneately the voice hasn't aged well!!!!!!
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair
    Cilla has (or had) two styles of singing,
    One was the foghorn (the Love of the Loved) and the other was softer (For No One) and generally accepted as a better singing voice.

Maybe the reason she is so vicious is that she has had to fight to keep her career because she knows she is not the best in the world but traded on the Epstein connection for all it was worth, Handy that he died so young

Brian Loved Cilla like a daughter he adored her, it was Brian who first got her into TV work the contract for her BBC show was next to him when he was found dead. George Martin also adores her and remains friends with her to this day.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Brian Loved Cilla like a daughter he adored her, it was Brian who first got her into TV work the contract for her BBC show was next to him when he was found dead.

Perhaps she forged his signature! Remember that episode of Alan Partridge!?:D