Options

Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

Comments

• Options
    barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Yes that may have been the case,but the point remains about slow starts

What point? So they both had slow starts, so what? Fawlty Towers slowly gained viewers as it went on, Boyle's show slowly lost half it's viewers as it went on, why even compare the two? They're not in the same ball park let alone the same league.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkley wrote: »
    What point? So they both had slow starts, so what? Fawlty Towers slowly gained viewers as it went on, Boyle's show slowly lost half it's viewers as it went on, why even compare the two?

Well i agree it may have been my mistake to do so i admit that, but i was only seeking to outline the point some shows do start slowly should have picked a better example though.

I would point out i myself watch on catch up tv is that even counted in the figures i wonder.

The whole thing maybe academic though as in its current form i think a second series unlikely.:)
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    kpmfan wrote: »
    Richard Herring on Boyle...

Quote:
    "There's a lot of stuff on TV at the moment where it seems absolutely fine to mock disabled people for no reason. I find it pointless and just embarrassing. I think people think they're being edgy but they're just being pr*cks.

I think for a grown man to start taking the p*ss out of an actual 8-year-old boy, even if he wasn't disabled, on national TV - that's slightly weird. Unless you've got something amazing to say about that subject, I think you've crossed a line there.

I do work with Scope and I think if I was going to joke about disability I'd want to be on the side of the disabled. I'd want to be making some point about the unfairness of society, rather than just getting a cheap laugh out of one child."

It would seem people have voted with their feet over the Boyle show anyway. From today's Guardian...

Quote:
    "Burst Boyle-

The stand-up comic's six-part series ended with 600,000 viewers, a 3% share of the audience, with another 100,000 on Channel 4+1, half the 1.3 million who watched its debut on 30 November.

It trailed in last of the five main channels, beaten by Channel 5's Most Shocking Celebrity Moments 2010, which averaged 1.5 million viewers, a 7.5% share, between 9pm and midnight, and BBC2's QI XL Christmas Special, which had 1.7 million viewers, a 9.7% share, between 10.30pm and 11.15pm, with another 28,000 on BBC HD."

Talks alot of sense old Richard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallam wrote: »
    Talks alot of sense old Richard.

But he HAS made fun of the disabled!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the latest Peacock and Gamble podcast Ray Peacock and Ed Gamble talk about Harvey and the whole Boyle thing
    Peacock calls him a 'mongo baby' but its done with irony

I'm surprised the press haven't jumped on them either
    They say a lot of bad things

Its funny
    If you aren't living in the 1950s and haven't had a sense of humour failure that is
  • Options
    kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Oh Dear though if i remember from afar the first series of fawlty towers pulled in few viewers at first as i am sure have other programmes in the past,not saying this is the case but not ALL series get off to a flying start,as i am sure you must realise.

And at the shows given timeslot and possible niche audience then i do not think you can write it off this early.:)

It's a turkey. And judging by the viewing figures such as they are, a dead one.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    In the latest Peacock and Gamble podcast Ray Peacock and Ed Gamble talk about Harvey and the whole Boyle thing

Its funny
    If you aren't living in the 1950s and haven't had a sense of humour failure that is
    They just aren't "big" enough to attract the attention of the media (yet). Although Ray did get bad press once for doing a show in Broadmoor. That bit of the podcast was hilarious, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just aren't "big" enough to attract the attention of the media (yet). Although Ray did get bad press once for doing a show in Broadmoor. That bit of the podcast was hilarious, though.

Its all hilarious
    I love Peacock and Gamble
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a turkey. And judging by the viewing figures such as they are, a dead one.

I suspect that he might make more from his stage appearances and DVD sales so sees all the adverse publicity as a way of attracting more of his type of audience. Any penalty from OFCOM will probably only hit Channel 4 and again he will see it just more of the publicity that attracts his customers.
  • Options
    barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suspect that he might make more from his stage appearances and DVD sales so sees all the adverse publicity as a way of attracting more of his type of audience. Any penalty from OFCOM will probably only hit Channel 4 and again he will see it just more of the publicity that attracts his customers.

The adverse publicity didn't attract an audience, it turned it off.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Its all hilarious
    Me too, I've been an avid follower since the first series of the original Ray Peacock Podcast, it's criminal that they're virtually unknown compared to some of the dire "comedians" that are constantly plastered over the TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I've been an avid follower since the first series of the original Ray Peacock Podcast, it's criminal that they're virtually unknown compared to some of the dire "comedians" that are constantly plastered over the TV.

I've been a fan since then too :D

Ray is quite known on the comedy circuit
    He MCs a lot and theres been a few P&G festival shows
    but I agree they should be much more known!
  • Options
    ClassicsGuyClassicsGuy Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its funny

How is mocking the disabled - in any context - funny?

It's not, and no, this isn't a Brand/Ross witch-hunt all over again.

It's just questioning such dire taste in thinking saying the unacceptable and taboo is 'great humour'. It's just complete B.S. to say that it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is mocking the disabled - in any context - funny?

It's not, and no, this isn't a Brand/Ross witch-hunt all over again.

It's just questioning such dire taste in thinking saying the unacceptable and taboo is 'great humour'. It's just complete B.S. to say that it is.

Oh god...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all hilarious

I jsut loved the benny hill sketch where and old lady was helped on a bus and it said "dignitas"on the front and side!,
    and then the sketch really came alive magic.:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkley wrote: »
    The adverse publicity didn't attract an audience, it turned it off.

Yes that may be true but all comedy is subjective,and not to everybodys liking, this may not have hit the mark but was definately very funny in places,you must be a victor meldrew to keep moaning.;)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he HAS made fun of the disabled!

EVERY joke ever told makes fun or something or someone. Fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    EVERY joke ever told makes fun or something or someone. Fact.

I think the posting was very definately tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this show in the end, the first 2 episodes were a bit slow but it got better. Obviously a lot of the jokes were shock value, but that is my kind of humour so from a selfish point of view I liked it.
  • Options
    AdamsonAdamson Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    makins wrote: »
    So there was something funny about his show after all.. the ratings :D

:D:D Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamson wrote: »
    :D:D Indeed.

Er well no actually i liked the comedy sketches on the whole.:D:D:D
  • Options
    kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    makins wrote: »
    So there was something funny about his show after all.. the ratings :D

:D:D:D Very true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D Very true

Only very true if you did not like it which i can understand its not to everybodys taste but you seem to be around often just to add a couple of smillies without any reason.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I jsut loved the benny hill sketch where and old lady was helped on a bus and it said "dignitas"on the front and side!,
    and then the sketch really came alive magic.:D:D

And distracts the tattooist, causing a Myra Hindley tattoo; then the exorcism woman, snuff-movie actors...and finally the bloody beating to death of the Robin Askwith-style milkman...and the point Frankie made was absolutely right-that silly Benny Hill music allowed a comedy-maker to get away with murder! Best sketch by a mile!:D
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Yea it is all so wrong i lol'd:D