• Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcom wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by all in one ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-in-One_PC#All-in-one
    The sofa is much more comfy.....:D
    The sofa is probably fine for using what is effectively an entertainment device such as a Nintendo DS, a Kindle or a tablet (iPad, etc) but probably no good if you're creating or editing anything intricate.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    TV screens are not colour-accurate either so that's not a solution for an inaccurate screen for photo processing. However the OP might not be that concerned about colour accuracy.
    If you get a half decent one these days aren't they basically just monitors anyway that can display a telly signal? (nb not saying they are, that has just been my assumption)
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since you can adjust the colour balance on both the computer and the television, the question of colour accuracy is rather meaningless I think.

Why not just set things up so a selection of photographs from various sources look normal (Wikipedia's various entries on famous world landmarks is a rich source) and work from there.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    You pay more, and you risk more.
    Usually the case with a lot of the cheaper laptops having low thermals.
    Its not always the case with each new generation actually getting cooler, especially at the budget end.

Its always changing and never simple, as is the case of people mistakenly thinking they do not have a line-in socket.
  • Options
    malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Oooh, that's a telling statement.

A laptop can be much tidier and less clumsy than a desktop but I really wouldn't recommend you buy one on the basis that you'll be able to do CAD drawings (or whatever) while lying on your sofa.

Laptops with 17" screens are really big beasts.
    They're hard to balance on your lap and clumsy to use.
    Added to that, if you're doing stuff that's complex enough for you to worry about screen resolution or clarity then you'll almost certainly find a laptop touchpad too clumsy to work with as well.

In short, by all means consider replacing a desktop with a laptop but don't assume that'll allow you to work in bed etc. ;)

Message taken but my comment about sofa was more in jest than reality......I have a sofa and in front a small table for a lap to to rest on at a comfortable sitting angle.......Far better than sitting where my existing work top is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a reply from creative labs regarding purchase via phone......No luck they tell me that is not possible. Neither do they have a list of retailers selling their products.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its not always the case with each new generation actually getting cooler, especially at the budget end.

Its always changing and never simple, as is the case of people mistakenly thinking they do not have a line-in socket.

Can you point me in the direction of a laptop that does have line.!!!!!!! Brand/Store etc Thus far I simply have not identified one. Retailer telling me none have on account of copyright issues........
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Message taken but my comment about sofa was more in jest than reality......I have a sofa and in front a small table for a lap to to rest on at a comfortable sitting angle.......Far better than sitting where my existing work top is

No worries.

I mention it mostly cos I sometimes find myself in a similar position.
    Part of my job requires me to write technical operations procedures and I can do that from home so I used to think it'd be nice to lie on the sofa and do it.

In the end I found it just wasn't productive. It's clumsy to use the PC, I get distracted and if I've got to print something out the act of setting aside the PC and going to collect the print-out seems like a huge chore.
    Also, if you're on a couch working you don't really have anywhere to go for a break... cos you're already there.

Most of that same stuff would apply while working hunched over a coffee table too.
    On the bright side, with a laptop you don't need a permanant desk for it. You could use it on a dining table, for example, and put it away when you're done.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    rwould wrote: »
    You have to know something useful to warrant commenting on forgetting it.

Look at the other replies here. Your reply to the OP was just utter nonsense and of as absolutely no use to him. Your failure to admit that and to then try and belittle other users does you no favours and just makes you look even more ignorant.

I don't know why you argue the point - you lose every time. Laptops are a poor imitation of the real thing, just accept and move on, I have. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retailer telling me none have on account of copyright issues........

What do they know?

The £100 EEE PC uses a dual use mic/line-in.
    But I don't quite know if all laptop sound chips are now auto selecting mic/line-in devices. It is logical to be and costs only a few cents no doubt.

My laptop has a mic socket yet double clicking the volume gives a line-in control. Like many I've not tested to see if it works and is also stereo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    No worries.

I mention it mostly cos I sometimes find myself in a similar position.
    Part of my job requires me to write technical operations procedures and I can do that from home so I used to think it'd be nice to lie on the sofa and do it.

In the end I found it just wasn't productive. It's clumsy to use the PC, I get distracted and if I've got to print something out the act of setting aside the PC and going to collect the print-out seems like a huge chore.
    Also, if you're on a couch working you don't really have anywhere to go for a break... cos you're already there.

Most of that same stuff would apply while working hunched over a coffee table too.
    On the bright side, with a laptop you don't need a permanant desk for it. You could use it on a dining table, for example, and put it away when you're done.

Yeah...It's about they they invented a printer with controlled ejection to have the prints fly over the dogs head and land in your lap while still sitting on the sofa.......:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do they know?

The £100 EEE PC uses a dual use mic/line-in.
    But I don't quite know if all laptop sound chips are now auto selecting mic/line-in devices. It is logical to be cost cents no doubt.

My laptop has a mic socket yet double clicking the volume gives a line-in control. Like many I've not tested to see if it works and is also stereo.

Interesting. Is your laptop a recent purhase.!!!!!. As technology gives people more quality both in picture and sound copy right issues do seem to affect what manufacturers automatically supply.......I think they pander to the music and video industry or are forced to pander by legal means......

I don't know if you remember the days when 8mm camcorders first arrived very expensive and they had audio/video in and out.........It was not long before the video out cameras were taxed differently and then became very hard to find. I fear that is or has happened with lne in on new laptops......A deliberate choice to leave the option off and the buyer will have to achive it by add on units from other suppliers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My NC2400 uses the Soundmax HD sound chip.
    I just went to audio/properties/Recording and I can adjust and/or select either line-in or mic.

Does not guarantee it works though and I have no 3.5 to 3.5 lead to hand to double check.
    Forget the retailer comment. The only validity I see is that some may not have dual usage.
    More likely he made it up or is mythology.

Who pirates music via line-in these days. Sounds a bit silly to me.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member

You always risk more, laptops are inherently less servicable, and their "portability" just lends itself to accidents. Spill on your keyboard on a desktop and it is no big deal, you are out a few quid. Spill on a laptop...oh man.

People buy them for sake of vanity or novelty in many cases when they are sacrificing a lot of functionality over a desktop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My NC2400 uses the Soundmax HD sound chip.
    I just went to audio/properties/Recording and I can adjust and/or select either line-in or mic.

Does not guarantee it works though and I have no 3.5 to 3.5 lead to hand to double check.
    Forget the retailer comment. The only validity I see is that some may not have dual usage.
    More likely he made it up or is mythology.

Who pirates music via line-in these days. Sounds a bit silly to me.

Indeed retailers do make thing up.

The store I was in had a very large selection of laptops and many popular brands........I looked at them all and none had line in.

The retailer may have made a guess and got it right. Please someone prove my theory and the retailer wrong and provide a Brand and recent model number.......

I did glance at the desktops, rather cheap ones and didn't detect any line in on those either.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did glance at the desktops, rather cheap ones and didn't detect any line in on those either.....
    Phone the computer department in John Lewis and ask for help.

If you have an audio lead they are very amenable for testing in there.
    Or just use Dell chat and hope that they send the question to a higher level!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone the computer department in John Lewis and ask for help.

If you have an audio lead they are very amenable for testing in there.
    Or just use Dell chat and hope that they send the question to a higher level!

Found the Dell forum page but can only read posts..Can't figure out how to post a question......

There is a Dell audio forum and one post refers to a line in on a lap top.........Poster can't hear input or whatever.......

Have you used this forum if so where is the ability to post???????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try sales chat. Select a laptop and a box eventually pops up direct from India.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try sales chat. Select a laptop and a box eventually pops up direct from India.

Registered for forum community......That don't work just going round in circles it keeps telling me to give a community name and password which is rejected time and time again so gave up on that......

Found chat.......Reply asks for contact details.Gave e-mail.......E-mail verification message sent to me........Now lost connection to chat....I give up..........
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For reference, after alanwarwic's comments, I checked my Dell Precision M6300 and, as far as I can tell, the mic input can also be used as a line in but I don't have the kit to test it.
    This laptop was bought in January 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    For reference, after alanwarwic's comments, I checked my Dell Precision M6300 and, as far as I can tell, the mic input can also be used as a line in but I don't have the kit to test it.
    This laptop was bought in January 2008.

Thank's for that info. Dell chat sent me another e-mail in response to my question which was simply a log of what had transpired the last statement from them saying thankyou for your details followed by "Session closed" Contact Dell if you require further information........ Problem is they had not actually got round to answering my quuestion before closing the session.......... After having to wait quite a while in a que i really do give up........

On Dell spec sheets I have seen it simply says mike in and no mention of line in option.........But as you say it might well be there if only the retailers new about the products they sell and the manufacturers follow up on questions asked.......But they don't.

Thank's to everone for your input and help.......
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my Toshiba laptop in March 2008. It's a P200-1IR and has the following spec:

CPU Intel® Core™ Duo T2330
    Chipset Intel® 965GM Express Chipset
    Memory 2048MB DDR2 667MHz SODIMM (2x 1,024MB)
    Hard Drive 120GB, Serial ATA (5400rpm) notebook hard drive
    CD / DVD Drive DVD±RW Supermulti drive
    Floppy Drive 6 in 1 Bridge Media Card Reader
    Monitor 17" TruBrite® TFT (1440x900)
    Video / Graphics Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (up to 358MB)
    Sound Card Realtek ALC High Definition Audio
    Modem Toshiba® Software Modem
    Network Card Realtek 8169/8168/8101 PCI/PCIe
    Network Card Atheros® AR5006EX wireless LAN
    Firewire Card Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE1394 Host Controller
    PC Card 1 x ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

My boyfriend uses it quite happily to process RAW & JPEG files using Canon's software and Photoshop. It works fine, hasn't complained once and, even nearly 3 years on it's working pretty much as well as it ever did. As you can see it has onboard VGA & is fine!

I also have an Acer laptop purchased October 2009:
    Processor AMD Turion X2 Dual Core RM-74
    2.2GHz, 1MB Cache, 1.8Ghz HT
    Memory 4 GB DDR2
    Chipset ATI
    Hard drive 500 GB
    Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Writer +/-R +/-RW
    Display 15.6” HD Widescreen CrystalBright TFT LCD 1366 x 768 *Fn+F5 display togle
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 64MB dedicated video memory, HDMI
    Audio Dolby Home Theatre
    Wired Network Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Network Atheros AR5B91 802.11 WLAN
    Webcam Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam

This will also quite happily process JPEG files using GIMP (I tend not to shoot in RAW).
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Malcolm,
    A PC or Laptop Line-in is the blue coloured mini-jack socket. Don't expect PC World/Currys staff to know what they are talking about and don't expect the full details of laptops to be shown on their websites. You'll have to research them yourself.
    PC World refurbished laptops have a good 17.3" in at the moment. An HP DV7-3111ea at £550. Is this or something similar what you are after? It's £723 new.
  • Options
    poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I have a (2008) HP DV9000 and its still running great! Its a bit heavy though...

2.2Ghz AMD Turion x2
    4GB RAM
    512MB GeForce 8400M GS
    320GB HD
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    17" Screen
    =£699 in 2008

Thats the kind of thing you need...something that will last you! My laptop still out performs some of the mid range stuff from 2010! I play The Sims3 and it runs perfectly. I also use a lot of Adobe stuff like Fireworks/Photoshop etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Malcolm,
    A PC or Laptop Line-in is the blue coloured mini-jack socket. Don't expect PC World/Currys staff to know what they are talking about and don't expect the full details of laptops to be shown on their websites. You'll have to research them yourself.
    PC World refurbished laptops have a good 17.3" in at the moment. An HP DV7-3111ea at £550. Is this or something similar what you are after? It's £723 new.

Thank's....True staff are well under trained.......I asked a staff member told to be the tech guy if Blu-ray multi drives read/write RAM discs. He looked at me as if from another planet and said "What are ram discs I don't know what they are". For a moment I was speechless and quickly disengaged asking him any more questions.....

With regard to the line in facility.......I have personally looked at the connectivity on all of the laptops they had and it was many and several brands.......Regardless of price none had the line input.........It appears Dell might have a secret one via the mike input don't know if the others do.......As described above Dell are not too easy to communicate with and get any sense out of......

Dell fail to answer a simple question but are quick to start emailing me nerwsletters........Now if only they would emale a reply to a question as well......

Many thank's for your help and advise........As long as my desktop is working I am not in a hurry to make a decision on a laptop but will want to at some stage in the near future......