Options

pay as you go - data speeds

lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do any of the UK networks cap data speeds On pay as you go SIMs or are they allowed equal access to the data network as all other customers?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 Pay & Go has a lower priority than Pay Monthly so speeds on PAYG aren't always as good as Contract on O2 but it's certainly not a cap and I don't think any of the other networks do it
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    PAYG generally get a lower data priority so most of the time see slower speeds.
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Does this apply to Giff Gaff users? I was aware of this...
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Yes, Giff Gaff have a slightly lower priority then O2 Pay as you go if i remember correctly.

Tesco Mobile contract users have the same priority as O2 pay as you go.

Only O2 pay monthly customers have the highest priority.
  • Options
    Forum Member

O2 officially say they don't but many instances of them doing it.. Also the different APN could be a factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O2 officially say they don't but many instances of them doing it.. Also the different APN could be a factor.

Yep, but to be honest it's not a cap or a permanent speed restriction of any sort. it depends on a large number of factors as to what speed you get.
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    That's a bit disappointing, I don't use net traffic a lot but when I do it's usually for skype calls which does need traffic priority. Oh well, that's good thing about Giff Gaff; no contract! Shame Three have raised their prices and only offer 500MB or AYCE packages. Why nothing in between?
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Three offer Pay & Go customers top speeds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Yep, but to be honest it's not a cap or a permanent speed restriction of any sort. it depends on a large number of factors as to what speed you get.

I'd rather have a cap that gives me high prioritised data traffic...
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I'd rather have a cap that gives me high prioritised data traffic...

What? You want a cap with high speeds?? Here you go then............ said EE4G! Lol
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    What? You want a cap with high speeds?? Here you go then............ said EE4G! Lol

I don't think he wants to take out a 2nd mortgage though! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I don't think he wants to take out a 2nd mortgage though! :D

Haha! :D

But like i said, the difference between O2 PayM and PayG is minimal at most. It's really only in congested areas where you'll notice the biggest difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah giffgaff has even worse priority than O2 PAYG, Tesco is the same as O2 PAYG
  • Options
    AetnlaAetnla Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the speeds on 3 mobile PAYG get slowed down? I find that the speed is less than 1Mbps most of the time. I have just done a speed test and I only got up to 0.6Mbps on my HSPA+ phone. Could it just be congestion or do they give other customers more priority?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When the cell is busy contract and business users generally get higher priority with most of the networks. I've not checked 3 for myself.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lee18xx wrote: »
    Do any of the UK networks cap data speeds On pay as you go SIMs or are they allowed equal access to the data network as all other customers?

I was getting 1MB speed at night on a 3 P&G sim.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aetnla wrote: »
    Do the speeds on 3 mobile PAYG get slowed down? I find that the speed is less than 1Mbps most of the time. I have just done a speed test and I only got up to 0.6Mbps on my HSPA+ phone. Could it just be congestion or do they give other customers more priority?

I found speeds dropped from 6pm to midnight and then went to max from midnight to 8am. 8am to 6pm was mixed.
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on a O2 contract and O2 sim only contract for years and have actually received better data performance on Giffgaff using various i phones.
    I remember turning up at my last job and asking what all the glum faces were for and it turned out most of the office were on O2 and Tesco contracts when O2 network had problems last summer. Checked my giffgaff by ringing the works landline and they were even more browned off when I explained my phone used the O2 network. I decided not to rub it in by explaining how much money I was saving since switching from O2 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that might be the case for outages as the APN routes data a different way with each of them however Giffgaff users were affected by the big outages so I'm not sure what to think of that to be honest!
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no difference in priority for calls on the same network. The only call types with priority are calls to the emergency services which will kick users off the network to make a connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't read that he said only about calls, oops. But yes shouldn't be anything different about calls only data and to an extent texts but that shouldn't be noticed..