Best place to sell a MacBook?

Hi there guys,

I was wondering if you could tell me the best place I could sell my 17" MacBook Pro? The specs are very high.

I don't wish to go through eBay, because I find their listing fees, selling fees and paypal money transfer fees to be ridiculously high!

All in all, if I sold my laptop there, they'd take a total of 30% of the sale!

I've tried MacForums but they seem to mainly compromise of American's =[

I wouldn't mind trading it in to somewhere like CEX, but I've heard they give very little for cash >_<

Any ideas?

Comments

• jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Av forum is OK but if you have any young people your house with account it may get banned becuase they seem to think you breaking there trading agreement.

Gumtree is another one.

Also advertising it around your local area.

But have to warn you macs do not have a very good resale value as The audience there aimed are normally well off and would prefer to buy things new.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazuya wrote: »
    I don't wish to go through eBay, because I find their listing fees, selling fees and paypal money transfer fees to be ridiculously high!

I suggest that you look again at Ebays seller fees. They are nowhere near 30% of a laptop value.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    But have to warn you macs do not have a very good resale value as The audience there aimed are normally well off and would prefer to buy things new.

Second-hand Macs actually hold their value well, as the market isn't saturated with them.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a user of both PCs and Macs I shouldn't even start on that sentence but Macs have a very good resale value, actually, where did you hear that? :confused:

OP, for reference, check out http://www.mac2sell.net/

I'm in the market but think your machine might just be above my budget :D
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30% ? nearer 10%
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Ebay, like it or not it is a high ticket item, and for such transactions people like a bit of traceability with their transactions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Assuming it sells on eBay, buy it now, for £800 (just a rough figure, I have no idea what it's worth):

Insertion fee - £0.40
    Final value fee - £14.67

If the buyer pays with PayPal, the fee would be £27.40. With both fees accounted for, that's just 5.3% of the total laptop value. You might get lucky and have the buyer pay cash though, so then you'll only be losing 1.9% of the value :)

Completely disagree. Bought a new MacBook in 2007 for £850, upgraded the hdd to 500gb (£50), sold it last year for £590 on eBay.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Second-hand Macs actually hold their value well, as the market isn't saturated with them.

Yes. Being as there's no such thing as a 'budget' Mac, the second hand market is effectively the budget market for Macs, so there's always a healthy demand for them.
  • CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I want to know the best place to BUY a Mac! lol

I want to get my first MacBook but new ones are way out of my budget, especially as it'll be my first and I might not like it. Wouldn't mind getting one of the earlier ones, 13" 2ghz core duo or something.

Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    lol, thanks for the advice guys.
    I've checked out some places, but haven't really had any luck.

The price I'm selling it at is £1500 because of its very high specs and preinstalled software.

Is there a way I could actually advertise it on DigitalSpy?
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Mac I've ever sold, bar one, was to someone that I know. Lots of folk would like to try a Mac, but consider it too risky buying a pricey new one when it could be a big white elephant. And just like you're wary of selling on eBay, they're wary of buying from there too. They'd much rather buy from someone they know.
    Forum Member
    Ahh yeahh, I've been asking friends too.

Seems everyone is really interested, but can't go anywhere near my asking price.

Might just try eBay >_<
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    The price is pretty high. :eek:

How much did you pay for it? I bought a 13" MacBook Pro with a 320GB HD in September for my daughter and it came to less than £1,000 with a 3 year Apple warranty, HP Wireless Printer and iPod Touch thrown into the deal.

I can understand why your friends are baulking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What software are you including? If it's valuable (Adobe CS, FCP, Logic etc) almost certainly better to sell it separately. You'll struggle to reach that price no matter what it comes with.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £1500 seems very high for secondhand laptop of any description.

Would you care to justify that price to us? Just saying that it is high spec and has pre-installed software is not enough. Give us the full advert and sales argument. There are many people here who will comment on it.

You never know, someone may make you an offer if you sell hard enough.
    Forum Member
    You have two problems here. £1500 is really high and it is a 17" MBP while the bestseller is the 13". The person who buys this won't be after a portable computer as such, but a desktop replacement. Try someone who is into photography or music, but I think you might have to drop the price to £1,000 or even better £995 (I know it is silly, but it might make the difference between a sale and no sale)

Good luck.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, thanks for the advice guys.
    I've checked out some places, but haven't really had any luck.
    The price I'm selling it at is £1500 because of its very high specs and preinstalled software.
    Is there a way I could actually advertise it on DigitalSpy?
    If someone sends you a message and wants to chance their sanity then good look to them.

Is it fast airmail from Nigeria?
    :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deactivate the Adobe software and sell it separately! (as long as it's not a student version)
    You will easily recoup a LOT more than £1200 doing it this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll just throw this into the mix, too.

Adobe used to have some funny* Terms & Conditions regarding the re-selling of their software i.e. they LICENCE the software to you, you purchase the LICENCE to run the software but not the actual ownership of the software. In the past** I've known a few companies get stung buying second hand licences only to find that they weren't able to actually activate the software and had to contact Adobe, only to find further fees involved.

So, worth checking out from Adobe about the resale options currently available...

Minus software, Mac2Sell rates your Mac at £890;
    http://www.mac2sell.net/permalink/?id=4d41d4f630a087e84517e6a362e0a068

*I say "funny" but it's actually fairly standard for companies such as those. Autodesk certainly do it and I believe Maxon do it with a few of their products, too.

**We're talking around around the time of versions CS3 and CS4 so only a couple of years back
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case someone is interested in the opportunist newbie there is no protection for Paypal.
    Paypal themselves are happy to let 10,000's of people lose their money. They give no warning whatsoever that protection only applies via ebay and in fact appear to mislead everyone.
    I've only lost money once and that was via both digitalspy and paypal.

I took a chance on an ex regular poster here with a small £12.
    A strange first op posting with the first line always been a sale bait.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Just in case someone is interested in the opportunist newbie there is no protection for Paypal.

I am very wary of Paypal too.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Vallhund wrote: »
    I am very wary of Paypal too.

Vallhund and Alan agreed on something. :eek:

It really must be Christmas.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gawd bless us, everyone! :D
    Forum Member

It does happen on the odd occasion. :D
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone!

I think I might have found a buyer for the laptop.

As stated earlier by mred2000....

Transferring adobe licenses seems rather painful =|

Does anyone know of a good second hand store I could possibly sell it to?

I'm hoping to get at least £1000 without the software!