Has there ever been an unpopular doctor

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    people usualy seem to love the doctor they spent their first time with. and then depsire the perosn that takes their place. but overtime they grow more use to the changes and accept that the doctor does move on...
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Colin Baker's Doctor had a long term plan that wasn't given time to fully develop. It's like only reading Pride and Predudice up to Darcy's first proposal and saying the character is and ass and you hate him.

Yeah, his first proposal wasn't good, unlike the Rev's, which was hilarious.:D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Crippin and Shipman were the first two that sprung to mind.

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    ^^^ "stampede agitator" :p

Tee hee!
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    McCoy was doomed right from the beginning.

It started with the crappy regeneration sequence, the awful new theme arrangement, coupled with the terrible incidental music, chuck in Bonnie Langford for a companion and some pretty naff stories...

I remember giving up on Dr Who mid way through McCoy's first season, nothing wrong with him or his portrayal. I remember seeing Remembrance of the Daleks and that was probably the last story I ever watched.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I don't recall the 6th Doctor being unpopular at the time - I think his costume raised a few eyebrows but overall I thought he was very well liked. It seems those people who dislike him do so retrospectively.

I do remember there being some negative feedback to the 7th Doctor, however, during his first season. Doctor Who Monthly even printed some critical letters of McCoy (which was pretty much unheard of in those days).
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I don't recall the 6th Doctor being unpopular at the time - I think his costume raised a few eyebrows but overall I thought he was very well liked. It seems those people who dislike him do so retrospectively.

I do remember there being some negative feedback to the 7th Doctor, however, during his first season. Doctor Who Monthly even printed some critical letters of McCoy (which was pretty much unheard of in those days).

Yeah, the "Colin Baker was unpopular" idea is only one that's come into existence retrospectively. It didn't seem like that at the time. And I'm not just talking about fans. There was a huge media uproar when the 18 month hiatus was announced.

I also remember some negative feedback about Sylvester McCoy, though. Again, not just among fans. Public support for the programme waned considerably in the late 1980s.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It should always be remembered that Michael Grade was sleeping with Colin Baker's ex-wife around the time of the comments he made about Colin.

By all accounts Colin has always been a lovely man - JNT said that's pretty much why he got the job in the first place.

I've met him on more than one occasion and he is a wonderful man, so good to the fans, a very friendly man!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

This is my recollection of the time too! It was unfortunate that, at this time, some truly awful writing and politics was going on behind the scenes!

Damn you Grade and Pip & Jane!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewarwoowoo wrote: »
    McCoy was doomed right from the beginning.

It started with the crappy regeneration sequence, the awful new theme arrangement, coupled with the terrible incidental music, chuck in Bonnie Langford for a companion and some pretty naff stories...

I remember giving up on Dr Who mid way through McCoy's first season, nothing wrong with him or his portrayal. I remember seeing Remembrance of the Daleks and that was probably the last story I ever watched.

I threw in the towel at Happiness Patrol and as a result missed probably his best season (26). I wonder sometimes at how I managed to get through Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers and Dragonfire, I suppose I was just living in hope!

For me, McCoy was the worst Doctor, it was his Doctor that made me chuck it all in! Not blaming McCoy 'the actor' btw!
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Baker's and Sylvester McCoy's Doctors were never popular with the general audience. Maybe that's why certain elements of the fandom are ultra-supportive of them nowadays.
    Also, Jon Pertwee's standing within the fandom has noticeably waned over the years.
  • ClaratClarat Posts: 4,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching in Davidson's time but had seen many T Baker episodes by the time of the regeneration into C Baker so I was used to different actors. I remember that regen feeling weird, 6 was so different to 4 and 5 that it didn't feel quite right but I wouldn't say I disliked C Baker, it was just a difficult change.

I do remember disliking 7 when he started but I was 11 and I remember feeling the Dr Who was getting childish - maybe that was just me growing up and noticing the more childish elements for the first time though. By the end of McCoy's time though I was loving him and was absolutely gutted when it was canned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but I thought Christopher Ecclestone was pretty sh!t.

Hammy, gurning, smug and pointlessly shouty.

I think the quality of RTD's wrting in the first season was pitch-perfect, so anyone playing the role of the Doctor would have been credited for 'bringing the doctor back successfully'. But I always though Ecclestone was the series weak link.

I think he's personal dissatisfaction with the role (or perhaps moreso, the behinds the scenes fall-outs) comes through loud & clear in his performance. You can tell his hearts not in it - and by the time he left, I think I was every bit as glad to see him out of the role as he was.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Patrick Troughton not that popular at the time? It as long before I was born, but I'm sure I remember reading that and the whole regeneration/exile to Earth was an attempt to shake up the show and regain some popularity.

I'm pretty sure any negativity towards Troughton would have mainly been a result of him being the first ever regeneration and people not having accepted the notion of the Doctor changing. What I've seen of him, I always thought he was good in the role. I can only imagine what it must have been like to get a new actor and portrayal of the Doctor, without having the foreknowledge that he can regenerate and this is a normal thing to expect in the role.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Baker was dreadful. I was made up when he left but the next one was even f 'in worse
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Wasn't Patrick Troughton not that popular at the time? It as long before I was born, but I'm sure I remember reading that and the whole regeneration/exile to Earth was an attempt to shake up the show and regain some popularity.

Not sure about regeneration, but I think the exile scenario was more to save money than anything else. Same sets, same cast, that kind of thing.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really got on with McCoy's Doctor. Can't really remember any being particulary unpopular.
    Just people seem to moan when one was leaving.

I did loose interest a bit after Tom Baker left, for a while.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think in the classic series most Doctors suffered for the first season or so, until the writers got a handle on what they could bring to the character. Certainly, that seemed to be the case with C. Baker and McCoy. That probably colours a fair few people's view of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    C Baker and McCoy seem to get a lot of stick, but they were actually decent Doctors. It's just that the direction the show was going in at the time stank.

In your opinion. My personal view is that Colin is a great theatre actor, can deliver radio well, but sucks at tv drama as a lead actor.

The next poster will disagree again.

Sometimes I feel that because Colin is a nice guy we excuse him - and lay all the failings of the time as being about production.

I'm sorry if this upsets some people but there may be a case to be made for a view that he simply was a poor choice of actor for the role of the Doctor, as was McCoy. Neither were of sufficient calibre - as has been suggested by others in the profession (kindly) and by their careers since.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I've met him on more than one occasion and he is a wonderful man, so good to the fans, a very friendly man!
    Hope you're talking about Colin and not about Grade!:D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but I thought Christopher Ecclestone was pretty sh!t.

Hammy, gurning, smug and pointlessly shouty.

I think the quality of RTD's wrting in the first season was pitch-perfect, so anyone playing the role of the Doctor would have been credited for 'bringing the doctor back successfully'. But I always though Ecclestone was the series weak link.

I think he's personal dissatisfaction with the role (or perhaps moreso, the behinds the scenes fall-outs) comes through loud & clear in his performance. You can tell his hearts not in it - and by the time he left, I think I was every bit as glad to see him out of the role as he was.
    Tennant could be like that!:D
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    colin baker and mccoy although there really wasnt nothing wrong with them it was the scripts, although some of mccoy episodes were great
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Technically not really. Though both Colin and Sylvester had to deal with a fair amount of unfair flack at the time.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ncr1969 wrote: »

Sometimes I feel that because Colin is a nice guy we excuse him - and lay all the failings of the time as being about production.

I'm sorry if this upsets some people but there may be a case to be made for a view that he simply was a poor choice of actor for the role of the Doctor, as was McCoy. Neither were of sufficient calibre - as has been suggested by others in the profession (kindly) and by their careers since.

I'm not upset by your comments but I strongly disagree.

IMO Colin Baker was a good Doctor but people do tend to just think of the stories where he was grumpy and bad tempered as he was mostly in The Twin Dilemma and at times in Timelash and for a while in the first episode of Revelation. Take those episodes out and look at the rest of them and it can be seen he was quite a caring compassionate Doctor who was also extremely funny and witty. Had he continued in the same vein as Season 23 where his interpretation became more humorous, I think he would have gone on to become one of the more popular Doctors. It's a shame people look at the bad side of his Doctor the whole time when it was clearly outweighed by the good.

As for McCoy, I disagree with you again. In his case the situation was opposite to Baker's, who got a bad time for his interpretation but had mostly good stories(imo). McCoy was another potentially good Doctor who was lumbered with the most appalling scripts and it's the stories that people seem to blame him for. However, in the worst stories like Paradise Towers his performances stood out and never wavered for me and his Doctor was never unpleasant at all despite moments of grumpiness.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Hope you're talking about Colin and not about Grade!:D

No, if it had been Grade, he wouldn't have lived to tell the tale! :mad::D